1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

[Official] Valley Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TermLimits, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Apr 30, 2021 at 6:13 PM
    TermLimits

TermLimits [OP] Owner of Valley Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 QuickSand Tacoma TRD OR
    ValleyTune.com Current Tunes: Valley Runner
    Been a while since I checked it out, log some tomorrow on 2.0.3 and some of my new experiments.

Last I remember regular gasoline hovered around 21-22. I've made so many changes to my truck since 2.0.3 came out, 90% of my monitoring is f/b and engine load % related. Helps pinpoint problem areas

shotgunbilly420 likes this.
  2. Apr 30, 2021 at 6:41 PM
    Vlady

Vlady Well-Known Member

Member:
    Issy, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCSB V6 4x4
    Mine is the same.. What happens to kclv after you reach 95%+ of the load?

3. Apr 30, 2021 at 8:44 PM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I didn’t have a 2.0.3 log so I went out and got one for y’all.

Finishing a tank of mid grade right now.

KCLV stays locked at 24-24.5 the entire time. Knock F/B stays very smooth and consistent across the board.

Mix of some highway, some stop and go, few harder access, floored it once or twice in the logs.

Posted chronologically:
    D3060E97-72F8-468B-A521-E2DC326A1EF5.jpg
    A55C12E6-3979-4D7F-827E-4B8494334360.jpg

Crossing headwinds in the hills tonight. Could be a bit better of a run

Knock values are my personal mission

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  4. Apr 30, 2021 at 9:16 PM
    Vlady

Vlady Well-Known Member

Member:
    Issy, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCSB V6 4x4
    Do you think there are parameters available in vF to achieve this?
    Interested to see the progress...

5. Apr 30, 2021 at 9:28 PM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Yes but it’s going to take a while before we reach a point where it makes sense.

The biggest impact on knock values is airload. I’ve narrowed down all - f/b values to lean knock, therefore positive numbers are rich and rare.

Lately I’ve been able to pull a handful of values from the consistent -3 to peaking at 0.

The problem with this logic is that once the ECU sees its -3 safety net target not attained, it corrects. Disabling load correction has a small influence on this but it causes more knock than before.

If there was a method to change the engine’s target from -3, we could theoretically take the engine to whatever we need

6. May 1, 2021 at 1:58 AM
    92ehatch

92ehatch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kinley
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue DC TRD OR 6MT
    I asked because I've been doing the same.

Eliminating the heavy -6 and-7s helped smooth acceleration a ton.

The reason i asked what your learned was, is when i started on the low knock it started creeping into a higher learned value when then transitioned into the high knock tables.

Now i only have heavy spikes in the mid to high load at low to mid rpm and the truck is targeting the base table.

Morning when air temp is around 45

morningdrive.jpg

Afternoon when around 80 air temp

afternoon.jpg

7. May 1, 2021 at 2:16 AM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    That’s about where I’m at in more advanced files as well. I don’t think we will be able to fully eliminate knock. But airload management and afr targets help.

I’ve made a few edits that end up causing the values to increase on accel rather than decrease. But trying to dial those in ended up making it worse somehow. It’s a strange beast

shotgunbilly420 likes this.
  8. May 3, 2021 at 10:17 AM
    S2KON2

S2KON2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal (SFV)
    I'm still fully testing VR, but I'm really liking the throttle response and gear shifting.

The other tunes I've tried, at take-off, regardless of throttle pressure, it'll hold 1st and 2nd longer, which is very nice.
    Unlike the others, on VR, if I'm light on the throttle at take-off, it'll shift quicker and still smooth. But if I'm a little heavier on the throttle at take off, it'll hold gears a little longer. Seems like the more throttle, the longer it holds. I like this gear shifting based on throttle position part.

Maybe @TermLimits can explain it better than I can describe it.

9. May 3, 2021 at 10:24 AM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    So VR 2.0 will hold your shifts on accel to get you at speed faster. If you set cruise then it'll make the upshift and continue on.

The shift points in the tune are less aggressive on the low end than others simply for the purpose of fuel economy. I saw no reason for the truck to have minimal pressure applied to the accelerator and continue screaming along in 1,2,3 gear. Odds are if you're being gentle with the pedal you don't want to go fast haha

10. May 3, 2021 at 11:47 AM
    Rocky.Mtn

Rocky.Mtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF-ROAD DCSB
    Really enjoying 2.03. More mountain time incoming.

11. May 6, 2021 at 9:42 AM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Setting up a new experiment while taking a break from the website build process.

Looking into mounting and running dual ECUs with a hidden changeover switch that only works if the truck is in accessory mode. Easier for me to test multiple versions of the same tune if I’m able to flash two copies for a quick compare

Currently registering the 5th ECU to the truck

*Update*
    Truck now has 5 ECUs programmed for it.

Some people don’t think it’s possible or the correct procedure of how I install new ECU

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  12. May 6, 2021 at 10:05 AM
    uploadadventure

uploadadventure It’s all @ColoradoTJ’s fault

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR (sold) 05 Duramax
    :goingcrazy:

C41n and TermLimits[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  13. May 11, 2021 at 11:07 AM
    vettaco

vettaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    09 AC PreRunner
    Any plans to offer a 2nd Gen tune?

TermLimits[OP] likes this.
  14. May 11, 2021 at 11:14 AM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Right now I don’t have any plans for them however in the future that is a possibility since I’ve received interest from y’all’s community many times

15. May 11, 2021 at 1:06 PM
    vettaco

vettaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    Vehicle:
    09 AC PreRunner
    Definitely interested if you decide to pursue it.

16. May 12, 2021 at 11:34 PM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    *** Announcement ***

MT installer packs are to be completed soon. Once these are complete those who have purchased them will be sent a download link the same as before.

The website is nearly complete. We are finalizing product file links, turns out it needs to be manually added for each variation of the tune. Once this is complete we will finalize the storefront and user account experience.

User Accounts:

Once you purchase a tune from the website, that download is linked to the email you purchased with and an account will automatically be created for you. If you lose the files, your account will have the files available under the order history.

We are looking into ways to provide the users who plan to install tunes the appropriate discount on additional file purchases of the same tune. Meaning you will not need to request a discount code for each time (we also do not want to provide discount codes since these will inevitably be abused).

————————

*** Request ***

We would like to know your thoughts on the following:
    • Map Switching
      1. With the update looming, we are forced to rethink how future tunes will be developed. Currently the following tunes are in the pipeline:
        1. Valley Sport
        2. ECO Pro
        3. Open Source Framework
      2. Each of the above tunes will have unique performance compared to the other.
      3. Should we look to combine Sport and Valley Runner into one switchable tune?
      4. Should a comprehensive tune be developed incorporating all of the features we have discovered and developed?
    —————————

Finally, some insight and updates for the future.

We have managed to increase the torque output of the truck by roughly 12% on a daily driving feature. An additional 8% has been achieved when running in a sport/towing configuration. Without map switching we have integrated this into one tune file. I’m personally excited to see how far it can go with the newest update.

A side project is looking into borrowing edits from other vehicles and incorporating some of the value sets into our Tacoma. Effectively, any Toyota 2GR based engine file should function with the truck given a proper conversion. With this approach, a Lexus style dynamic can be produced or potentially the long distance cruising which the Sienna is capable of.

I’m excited to be finalizing the website project and move onto more involved and aggressive tuning.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    badfish_55, S2KON2, TacoTim85 and 4 others like this.
  17. May 13, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    Rocky.Mtn

Rocky.Mtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF-ROAD DCSB
    @TermLimits I think with map switching the positions should be used to have very different tunes and not necessarily mold them into each other.
    That being said if any one tune drastically outperforms another in all conditions it should just become the norm. Sounds like with the new torque increases on the daily driver this may be the new norm. Also 12%!

I don't forsee using the switching feature that often, if and when it becomes available. Generally I just want to run the best all around tune.

Looking forward to whats upcoming. Sounds like more progress is being made.

TermLimits[OP] likes this.
  18. May 13, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Currently the 12% increase makes the truck move WAY quicker than it has before. This is why we have toned down the pedal even more. Currently, I’ve reverted back to OEM pedal settings simply to make the driving experience enjoyable

It will depend on what maps are able to be associated with the switching feature. Since the difference between the tunes includes ignition timing/afr/valve timing/knock compensation, it’s unclear whether we will have the ability to completely switch to different referenced tables.
    If we can, then it’ll 100% be able to switch between different tunes. If not, it will give the options of creating essentially sub-tunes where the master version includes the timing and afr targets and the others give airload and pedal adjustments.

TacoTim85 and Rocky.Mtn[QUOTED] like this.
  19. May 13, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    TacoTim85

TacoTim85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2007 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD (Current)
    My truck drives tremendously better than stock on your VR premium 2.0.3 standard.

Also drives much smoother than OV 2.0 and has more power. Noticeable in the lower RPM where it’s needed the most, too. Mpg seems to be up slightly even with me driving faster.

Can’t wait for the next version. If any of y’all are lurking then go ahead and pull the trigger. Jeff is a cool guy who is doing good things for Tacoma owners.

20. May 13, 2021 at 12:14 PM
    C41n

C41n KDMax Pro Authorized Tuner | Portland, OR

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR MT
    Been working with @TermLimits for a good while now as one of the testers for the MT version.

First of all, Jeff is a great guy to work with. He cares about what he does, and is a genuinely good guy. You can trust anything he puts out has been thoroughly tested and vetted. If there is even the slightest concern he doesn't release it. Valley Runner is being constantly worked on and improved. It doesn't need to be though, because it's already amazing.

The difference between VR and OVT 2.0 is immense and you know the second you start driving the truck. I have driven both on automatic and manuals. If you are on the fence on this tune over another, give it a try. You won't regret it. On the automatic the shifting really shines though.

I have been holding off on posting my thoughts about Valley Runner until now. Starting today I am offering the Valley Runner tune to all my flash customers at no extra charge. I will be recommending this tune as my go to. Over the next couple weeks I will be reaching out to all past customers to offer a upgrade. Feel free to get in touch if you see this and want it sooner.

Products Discussed in

To Top