1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

[Official] Valley Tuning Thread

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TermLimits, Mar 22, 2021.

1. May 15, 2021 at 12:00 AM
    LongDistanceTaco

LongDistanceTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    California
    Just wanting to give some feedback now that I have some solid seat time with the tune.

Here's my truck:

DSC-0030_d44c1ac0dd7383196707e0a16bc9f8f3d9018d28.jpg

I'm a AT running 33's, 5.29's, and have 600+ lbs of added weight.

Currently road tripping across the Southwest and from my Fuelly, I'm averaging anywhere from 16-20 MPGs if I keep the truck around 65-70. Keep in mind, I am not the most aerodynamic Tacoma. I've been blown away with how well this tune performs. I live in a fairly hilly area and before I got my truck re-geared, she would downshift 4th to 3rd all the time to climb. The torque gains are no joke. I found myself driving and expecting the a downshift, but I would give it more gas and the truck keeps accelerating. I ran some of the other free tunes offered on the forum which have all be huge improvements over stock, but @TermLimits has the low end dialed like none other. Now coupled with the re-gear, I no longer struggle to merge on to the freeway or downshift into 3rd to get up a steep grade. I'm excitedly looking forward to what other improvements can be made to the tune!

2. May 15, 2021 at 4:29 AM
    TermLimits

TermLimits [OP] Owner of Valley Tuning

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 QuickSand Tacoma TRD OR
    ValleyTune.com Current Tunes: Valley Runner
    Glad to hear it’s happy with the tune!

33s and 5.29s are brutal for mpg but necessary with the extra weight. That’s the highest mileage numbers I’ve seen on a 5.29 truck, most likely due to the flat roads by you

More to come don’t worry!

uploadadventure likes this.
  3. May 15, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    uploadadventure

uploadadventure It’s all @ColoradoTJ’s fault

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR (sold) 05 Duramax
    Super solid MPG’s.

I was getting 15 with @TermLimits tune

TermLimits[OP] likes this.
  4. May 24, 2021 at 9:16 PM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    *** Update ***
    ValleyTune.com

Its been a bit since we last post one of these.

MT files and tuner file packs are still being developed. We have managed to reach a new threshold with the mpgs on these trucks, however it comes at the expense of off road use. @C41n and I are working together to try and narrow down a solution to this before pushing a final version out to installers.

MT trucks may still purchase the tune files and install them, just note that updates may still occur regularly to these files.

-------

Regarding the 12% torque increase files in production:

I have been doing everything I can possibly think of to smooth out shift points and torque converter locking in these files. For some reason, no matter what changes are made, the truck still wants to lock the converter sooner than desired. Besides this, these files run extremely smooth and powerful!

This project will be completed in the coming weeks (hopefully).

-------

Map switching:

Many of you may know that I recently Guinea Pigged a map switch file on my truck (in the middle of my cross country trip) and zapped it. It was narrowed down to a loose connector on my ECU. However, I will not be creating a map switch file for a little bit. We only dabbled in the idea to add a bit more functionality to the road trip. Gear Lock to keep my trans temps in check during high wind or mountain driving along with a low end power crawl mode for some trails out here.

*** To the gearlock folks, I've never understood the need or want until now. I still don't know what it does for MPG or knock values, but I do know that in high wind driving across ND and MT it kept the trans from creeping over 230+ degrees

-------

Website!

ValleyTune.com

The website is 99% complete and functional. The last 3 tune purchases have been directed to that gateway!

The website will provide your selected file options immediately after purchase with a unique filename tacked onto the end (sorry hackers). Once a purchase is complete, you also will be able to log into your account and redownload your files at anytime in the future! Additionally, verified purchasers may leave a product rating on the tune which will be visible to anyone who is interested in purchasing the file.

If you upgrade your truck with tires, gears, exhaust, or AGM please let us know through the contact form on the website or message me directly here. I'll need to know your order # as well as your account username. We can then adjust the file that is linked to your purchase and you will be able to download the new version.

Any updates to VR 2.0 (between 2.1-2.9.9) will be uploaded to the website and all purchased product will be converted to these new files. If you notice that there was an update for your tune, you can simply redownload the file from the account page and it will be the new version.

############

ALL CURRENT TUNE CUSTOMERS:

I will need you to visit the website at some point and create an account in the top right corner. Once you do that, please reach out to me and provide the username you have chosen. I will then grant access to the files you purchased through TW so that you may also benefit from the website features. (Yes I keep a spreadsheet of all the customers so I will be able to verify if you purchased the files or not).

############

ALL CURRENT INSTALLERS:

Congratulations! Your job just got much easier for AGM and Exhaust edit files! Once you create your account, I will be linking the installer package files to your account along with providing you a unique discount code to use on the VR product during checkout. This code will be 100% unique to you and ONLY you will be able to use it to access the files at the agreed upon price.

I again will need you to reach out to me once you have made the account and provide me the username, this way I may provide you with the increased access to the website.

############

FUTURE CUSTOMERS & INSTALLERS:

The price of VR has increased to accommodate the fees associated with the website hosting/payment processing/file handling as well as taxes and fees associated with online sales. The increase is not major but is very worth it when you take into account the ease of purchasing a tune file.

I do not have an updated price for Installer Packages at this time. The pricing will increase slightly in order to keep the competition between installers lower. Nobody should step on each-other's toes!

############

Please note that you are limited to ONE file purchase at a time in the cart. You CANNOT add a tune for a 2019 truck along side a 2017 in the cart, this is to prevent someone from accidentally buying the same thing 3 times over.

Automatic Transmission tunes are available on the website now, Manual Transmission tunes will be added once they have reached a suitable point in testing. This weekend will see the addition of the installer packages.

Gear Lock files are still made by hand! If you need one, please contact us through the website or directly on TW!

The Valley Tuning Framework files will also be added within the next few weeks. This will be a pay what you want, unlocked version of the tune file. It will resemble the early versions of VR but obviously not include many key features of the tune.

---------------------------

Thank you all again for the continued support, I hope your trucks are running better than expected. Much more to come!

ValleyTune.com

S2KON2, badfish_55, stu8319 and 4 others like this.
  5. May 24, 2021 at 9:37 PM
    Natpag

Natpag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD off-road
    4.88’s, 33s, and 6200lb tacoma with me in it makes me want to puke. Can the tune save me?

6. May 24, 2021 at 9:40 PM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Depends on what the issues are.

A bit too sluggish for you? It’ll definitely help with the acceleration.

Do you have VF Tune? If so then a simple file purchase might help. If not you may need to set up a time with an installer

I’m debating 4.88s for myself. Nowhere near as heavy as your truck. Besides the weight would you recommend that or 5.29s?

7. May 24, 2021 at 9:43 PM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Side note:

I made the PNW guy’s capture the flag game sexier @C41n

B0ABC698-3F7F-4183-9226-B4DC4D9E71DE.jpg

Glad they have companies that make stickers out here within a few minutes

LstMinutePanic, C41n and Bertw192 like this.
  8. May 24, 2021 at 9:45 PM
    Natpag

Natpag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I’d recommend 5.29’s all day. They weren’t out when I got my gears. 5th/6th are sooooo tall in these trucks.

9. May 24, 2021 at 9:47 PM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Yea we need a 4.5th gear lol

Grossomotto likes this.
  10. May 24, 2021 at 9:49 PM
    Natpag

Natpag Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I thought 4.88 was steep coming from the mustang world, but damn. I’d like to move to 35s but feel unable to do so due to my current piss poor acceleration and constant gear searching (stock tune).

11. May 24, 2021 at 10:00 PM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Yea a tune might do you some good but won’t fix the 35s and 4.88s.

If you have VF Tuner you can buy the file regularly but if not we can find you a tuner for the install

12. May 25, 2021 at 7:24 AM
    Rocky.Mtn

Rocky.Mtn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF-ROAD DCSB
    Good update!
    That is definitely when gear lock is best, high wind and long mountain uphills.

13. May 25, 2021 at 7:25 AM
    stu8319

stu8319 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road in Quicksand
    You should have your little V logo made into a sticker. I would def put one on the rear window of my softopper or maybe one on the front of my prinsu rack. Just a little 1" guy! Might be a good way to promote too. When people ask about it at meet and greets and things like that (which I have been going to quite a few lately.)

14. May 25, 2021 at 9:49 AM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    I have stickers coming soon to the website. Business in Oregon will be making them for me. Great quality.

I’ll have logo only and logo w/ letters

What sizes would be best? I’m running a 6x6 on my truck
    FF085B8F-6735-4E7A-92B3-EA150F7D9F69.jpg

15. May 25, 2021 at 10:11 AM
    C41n

C41n KDMax Pro Authorized Tuner | Portland, OR

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR MT
    I would think a 4"x4" would be good for me. What shop did you use? I am looking to get some stickers printed and I haven't found a good price yet.

Adobada Tacos and TermLimits[OP] like this.
  16. May 25, 2021 at 11:31 AM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Carstickers.com from Bend. Good quality doesn’t come off in car washes.

I had a 4x4 before from vistaprint but they weren’t that readable and weren’t due cut
    693F0CD1-8B55-4C83-AAD9-1FD5727E9618.jpg

C41n[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 28, 2021 at 10:05 AM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    VR Tuned a member yesterday (all stock) and saw a significant bump in mpg. He had no added weight and the stock non all terrain tires which I think helped with the added mpg. Of course, throttle response and the trans on the highway was much better, as well.

18. May 29, 2021 at 12:39 PM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    *** Information ***

MT Files are nearly done with their edits. For some reason 2018 MT trucks are the only ones which run extremely rough on the tune out of all 10 (11 if you count A72) ECU ID. I've narrowed it down to a bad base edit for the truck, therefore these files have been recreated from stock and will finish testing soon.

------------

Professional Installer packs have been added to the website under the Professional tab! If you want to install the tune in your area, you may purchase the pack at that link.

We have revised how professionals are able to offer the tune, the pay as you go option is not available anymore. Too many people abused this function in order to obtain half off tune files. The installer options are listed below:
    1. Installers pay a one time access fee of $100 to obtain a unique account discount, allowing them to purchase the tune files at $25 each. This access will be for VR 2.0 files ONLY (other tunes will require additional access).
    2. Installers may purchase a pre-made tune pack for $450 on the website. This includes the most popular tire and gear ratio set ups for ALL ECU IDs (MT will be added soon). If a truck needs a unique file, I'll make it for free. Exhaust and AGM edit files will be available through a unique discount for $20 each for these installers. *** These installers' locations are the only ones listed on the tune appointment page! ***
    3. Customers may request tuning in your area through the website. I will contact whoever is closest to perform the install. The customer will be given your contact info and pricing, you will be responsible for obtaining the tune files (if you already have them, you do not need to purchase it again).
    As always policies are subject to change, however this is the most equitable way to provide installer services at this time. There are no changes planned to these policies as it now seems to work just fine.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to message me here or contact us through the website.

Thank you for your continued support!

ValleyTune.com

LstMinutePanic and C41n like this.
  19. May 31, 2021 at 8:55 PM
    Sierra Trail Pro

Sierra Trail Pro The more I play with it, the Bigger it gets!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Cameron Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    Upgraded REM Polished 5.29 Revolution Gears Dobinsons 2.5 MRA/MMR adjustable remote reservoir front coilovers w/732lb springs, 35x12.5 BFG KM3 MTA tires on Moto Metal 16" wheels, incl. full size spare Bushmaster bolt on wheel well flares CaliLED full cab length DOM Steel Rock Sliders w/kickouts, Total Chaos welded spindle gussets, & LCA Cam Tab Gussets, Welded "Runnin 4 Tacos" Cab Mount Relocation Bracket, C4 Fabrication front steel hybrid bumper incl. heavy duty steel bumper support add-on's, C4 Fab Rear overland high rise steel bumper w/steel rear qtr panel wrap armor and side tube upgrades, 12k Smittybilt XRC Pro Comp Winch w/Factor 55 Flatlink Expert shackle mount assembly, Dobinsons heavy duty rear leaf spring pack, Timbren Off Road Racing bump stops (F&R), Fox 2.5 TRD Pro OEM rear monotube shocks, OEM Factory TRD Pro front aluminum skid RCI Steel skid plates (tucked in to factory engine skid)@ transmission, transfer case, lower A arms, and rear diff; CBI steel gas tank skid, ARB Twin Compressor in an M.O.R.E. engine bay mount, ARB Front Air Locker w/ Stainless Steel Air Lines Diode Dynamics 30" LED light bar @front bumper, RIGID front fog lights tied into factory wiring harness, Odyssey Group 31 AGM battery in a CBI Steel battery tray, Decked Slide-Out lockable Bed Drawer System, Yaesu FTM-400XDR HAM Radio (c/s:K6TOY), FreeSpirit Recreation "Evolution" Aluminum Hard Shell RTT w/Accessory Rails X2, FreeSpirit Recreation 270 Degree Swing-Out Self Supporting Awning w/Tent Mount Brackets, Cab Rack Mounted shower/changing tent, CBI corner to corner Steel Full Bed Rack, Prinsu Cab Rack w/extra rails, UpTop Overland upTAKE Snorkel (Functional & self draining), iPOD Bantam X touch screen switch panel control module, Dometic CFX3 95DZ Dual Zone Electric Refrigerator/Freezer w/dedicated electrical circuit & outlet, Dometic Refrigerator Slider Bed Mount, (4) 4 Gal Roto Pax Gas Cans w/locking Bed Rack Mount, MaxTrax Extreme Recovery Boards w/locking bed rack mount, Valley Runner custom ECU tune, TRD Advanced Cold Air Intake, Escort Radar Detector, hard wired w/RVM mount ALL K&N cleanable filter media installed, Only use Mobile One Full Synthetic Oil, changed every 5K miles, All Major Mods Professionally Installed
    Quick question, I am going to get your tune installed locally the end of this week and just wanted to be sure that the Valley Sport Tune is available now? I was out rock crawling this weekend on the Rubicon and encountered some "surge" from the throttle even though I was feathering the pedal causing the truck to jump without putting pressure on the petal... The resulting hard drop off the rock was jarring! Hoping the tune will help control some of that...

20. Jun 1, 2021 at 12:14 AM
    TermLimits

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Sport is not yet available. Only two people have a test file for it, however it has not been fully developed since I’m focusing on finishing the MT trucks.

As for a jolt in throttle, sport (when released) will not help that. It will most likely be even more sensitive. I suggest getting the Light pedal version of Valley Runner installed on the truck

Products Discussed in

To Top