1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official VOLANT thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by xwillx93, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Dec 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    xwillx93

xwillx93 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    I have a Volant Intake kit sittin underneath the tree for my 2009 2.7l reg cab! Just wanted to make a thread about any products from VOLANT anyone has ever seen, used, returned, kept, etc. etc. Let's see what ya'll have to say!

2. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    xwillx93

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    MBRP "Cool Duals" dual side swept exhaust, Volant Intake, Blacked Out Tail lights, Touchscreen Kenwood DDx616 with a 10" Kicker CVR in a custom Box, 2 Kicker Comp 6" Speakers, Removed front and rear mud flaps, Weathertech Floormats, Kobalt Slim Toolbox, Chevrolet Air compressor
    Any opinions or reviews?

3. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    like Volant Pennsylvania?? thats where im from :laughing:

for real though, i have a Volant intake. used to have MAF sensor issues from it, and it ran kinda rich, but otherwise, have enjoyed it. was a noticeably better increase in power. (and noise)

4. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    purchased a brand new volant for my 2011. could not even come close to attaching the seal between the intake hose and fender. Also caused a CEL. I returned it for a full refund. Best bet for our trucks is to remove the secondary filter, replace the oem filter with an AFE Pro Dry and remove the baffle in the fender wall.

5. Dec 24, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    Joben7726

Joben7726 wes mantooth ™

Member:
    First Name:
    Joben
    Western PA/Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    Trail limo
    more than list-able
    mine threw codes as well, but has been good for about a year

6. Dec 26, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    xwillx93

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Just got done installing it!!!!!
    and un-installing it. I've never been so unhappy bith a purchase. It only gave me directions for 2 breather hoses and the MAF sensor. under the hood i have a sensor connector and another breathe rhose with no place to plug into. After countlessly calling the tech line. NOBODY picked up even after i checked what hours they were open. Returning it, and probably just deleting the smog filter.

7. Dec 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
    Man they must have dropped the ball on the design for the taco! i had one on my xterra and it was awesome! it was pretty much the first mod anyone suggested doing on it! i never had a problem with it on her (no thrown codes or anything)! i hate to hear that it sucks for the tacos... oh well. but just to save face for them not all of their products are bad.

8. Dec 26, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    xwillx93

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Got it fixed :)

9. Dec 26, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    jpneely

jpneely Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Land Cruiser, 2017 Land Cruiser
    thats goood to hear.

10. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    Nick3515

Nick3515 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Blacked Out PreRunner sport 4x4
    6 inch Fabtech lift, Volant cold air intake, flowmaster 40 series exhaust
    Just installed mine a little tricky with the breather hoses if you don't know to hook the small breather to the already installed small breather can put your mind in a tail spin. Truck sounds really good and very clean. Make sure you un hook the negative battery cable before you start disassembling or else it will throw codes.

11. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:53 PM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
    I use to have one. I got CEL codes but it was fixed with the URD MAF calibrator. If anyone is running the 4.0L model, i recommend getting the URD Amsoil Dry Filter to replace the oiled filter. Its a perfect replacement.
    I decided to sell it mainly to fund other mods since I wanted to buy aftermarket rims.
    I'm back to stock at the moment with the Afe drop in. I probably wouldn't go back and spend the $500 for the intake setup.

EDIT: I also had the Ram air with my setup.

12. Feb 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    YumaTRD

YumaTRD The Church Of @ODNAREM San Diego Chapter 1904

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    El Cajon, CA
    Vehicle:
    Solid Axle Yota
    Locked, Flat bed, 22R 5 speed, BFG KO2's
    The URD filter are nice. its the ones they use for their superchargers. The filter also has an inner lip that keeps it from getting installed too far deep, which can reduce air flow.

13. Feb 14, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    TonkaToyTaco

TonkaToyTaco Hope you can run faster than 965 FPS

Member:
    First Name:
    Louie
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
    Fox 2.0 Coilovers cranked up with JBA UCA, Rear OME 2" leaf pack with Ride Rite air bags, SCS Steath 6 matte black rims wrapped in 285/75/17 Cooper ST MAXX, Blacked out emblems, Debaged tailgate, Tinted windows (5% in rear, 5% up front and 40% on windsheild), Retro color matched HID headlights with Amber Halo, Projector LED Foglight, Custom LED Taillight and 3rd brake light, T-Rex 2 eyelids color matched, Fog light anytime MOD, All LED interior and exterior ligths, Volant CAI With forced Ram, JET throttle body spacer, Aero Turbine SS Muffler, Aero Turbine SS 4inch tip dumped after axel, URD MAF Calibrator, LED bed lights, 4X4 light mod, Satoshi Grill with matching scoop and lower Valance, 20" LED bar and 2 LED Pods behind Satoshi, Diff breather mod, Sea Blu secondary fuse box with 100A breaker, Outlaw Train Horns with dual Air Compressors and 5 Gal tank, Ultraguage, Andre Devil Horns, Pedal Commander
    I have a 2011 4.0L with volant and ram induction and I love it. Put the DTLT headers on and dynomax muffler and top it with a URD Calibrator. It sounds good and performs better. Install it took me longer to get the old off than to install volant. Just saying

14. Feb 14, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    Brendan

Brendan Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White, Gray interior, Base Model
    Apline 1-Din, BHLM, Access bed cover
    I have the Volant intake and i had a hard time fitting the MAF sensor back on the intake tube with the new o-ring that comes with the kit. Since then zero issues. I'm also getting the MAF calibrator to get the most out of it.

15. Feb 15, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Not who you posted to, but it's a no-brainer. There's a black plastic trim piece on top of the radiator support held on with the wonderful black pushpin pieces of shtitt. Pop the pushpins, remove the trim piece, attach the ramair scoop to the airbox, position the scoop on the radiator support, push the pushpins back in place. Voila!!

16. Feb 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Well,,, as I tell myself before I make any mods, "anything is possible for a properly motivated idiot", watch yourself :D

17. Feb 16, 2012 at 1:11 AM
    Brendan

Brendan Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White, Gray interior, Base Model
    Apline 1-Din, BHLM, Access bed cover
    Wonder if the stock o-ring would let it fit better. Seems weird that the one that is sent with the intake doesn't work very well. Hmm, just a thought tho.

18. Feb 16, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    Tacovette

Tacovette NUB

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DBL CAB V6
    3" lift Volant intake w/ram air scoop DC1 Wheels BF AT 33's Grillcraft Grille Satoshi Grille (I get bored) Xeon Headlights LED Tail lights Custom rock guard/step De-badged ARB bumper w/fogs Rotors cross drilled Braided brake lines Wet Okole covers Stereo stuff
    I have it on my 4L with the ram scoop. Haven't had any issues or check engine lights. Install was easy.

19. Mar 4, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    xwillx93

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Had it on since Christmas time, and i love it. Definately a noise increase, (you can hear it sucking in air when you punch it), better throttle response but no noticable difference in mpg's. Never had a check engine light.. but i'm thinking about investing in one of the URD MAF sensors. any noticable difference with it?

20. Mar 4, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    I'm not Brock, but I can speak on this a bit. I have had my CEL on for about a year now. I haven't noticed any performance issues. The definite downside I see to this is that if your truck throws a different code other than the intake related one, you'd never know it. I have an ultragauge and periodically check my current codes

Products Discussed in

To Top