1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official West Region DECKED for Tacoma!!!

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MTNHABITOVERLAND, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Sep 29, 2017 at 4:30 PM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

MTNHABITOVERLAND [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Camper Build Instagram: @mountainhabit
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    tacoma_decked_main_large.jpg

First off, I am completely humbled and honored to be chosen by @TheDECKEDGuy and https://decked.com/ to beta test the new DECKED system for our Tacoma's!

So there is no confusion, I had a different TW username: @imtaconico however, I will be using @MTNHABITOVERLAND from now on.

Be on the lookout for representation from:
    West (ME: @MTNHABITOVERLAND )

Mid (@Overkill07)

Eastern (@Sandytaco14) https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/decked-east-official-thread.512819/

If you haven't already, follow my Instagram account @MTNHABITOVERLAND for more content on the removal and subsequent bonfire :bananadead:of my current platform system!:rofl:

I'll be updating here as the process begins and throughout the build, testing, and posting demo dates/locations if you all would like to see it first-hand! I'm thinking an In-N-Out tour is in order!:thumbsup:

I'm located in SoCal but will do my best to make the unit available to as many Taco owners as possible!

I'm looking forward to bringing this to you in a format that is tailored to your interests, your questions, and your individual uses.

Again, I am honored to be a part of this!

Cheers!
    Nicole

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. Sep 29, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    sub'd :popcorn:

dan0mite likes this.
  3. Sep 29, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    dan0mite

dan0mite #NOTNORM

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    d00kie
    Check The Build Thread
  4. Sep 29, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    dan0mite

dan0mite #NOTNORM

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    d00kie
    Check The Build Thread
    I miss In-N-Out.

5. Sep 29, 2017 at 4:43 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    Road trip? :cheers: or more likely :drunk:

6. Sep 29, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    Sandytaco14

Sandytaco14 IG: qstaco17

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North al
    Vehicle:
    '17 trd offroad 4x4
    I am the east rep.

And dang making us look bad!:rofl:

eccracer104 and SC2SC like this.
  7. Sep 29, 2017 at 5:27 PM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    The beginning...
    F5DDD880-4852-4F96-9C7B-5B6626F536A7.jpg

Updated 10/10/2017:
    DECKED hooked it up!!! I just received this package in advance of the full drawer system (these are sold separately as accessories). I have to say from the get go, I’m impressed with how stout the toolbox is! It’s not heavy, but feels like it will handle like a standard heavyweight toolbox.
    It’s actually quite wide which is promising, as I planned to store my dual-burner stove and propane tank in one of the drawers. Stay tuned!
    83CCA289-0A07-4553-8F28-5C89AC2A6C2C.jpg

UPDATE 10/11/2017:
    Added a Bedrug to the tailgate. *Not necessary for any install process of the DECKED system but I wanted a softer surface to “Deckgate” on!:headbang:554C28D0-5FEA-449F-B63A-641C77F323C7.jpg

F85B87AA-63FC-4DA9-AC18-2B7C3DA09506.jpg
    ————————
    UPDATE 10/19/2017:
    D-BOX ASSEMBLY
    *note - the D-Box arrived clean and in brand new condition. I trailed the Mojave Road with it so it’s dusty in the pics. It’s a wonder anything in my life stays clean :)

It arrived well-packaged/protected direct from DECKED.

All pieces arrived intact with with box. Install instructions were straight forward and easy to follow.
    3EF0C4A1-0BF7-4124-8570-86B68DE95D8C.jpg

Thanks to trail dust, I was able to appreciate more the fact that these are MADE IN THE U.S.A.
    410D2FC1-DA96-4FFC-B100-5FF3AD63F2BB.jpg

I would liked to have seen not only an SAE panel, but metric as well. Heck, DECKED probably could just place 4 x 10mm spots on the lid and it would work just as well for us!:rofl:
    6351F3C5-B85C-4C05-BD39-1EBCDDA7046D.jpg

Step one: insert the rods in the hinges.
    6A5715C5-A794-48A6-8981-6F22E747E036.jpg

They should not have any space between them as they meet in the center of the box.
    DE5556BC-25E5-4AFB-9ECF-F5F84B259291.jpg

D3DB754C-BE44-4593-A7FF-010557C162B8.jpg

Step two: Flip the box upside down, insert the gasket around the perimeter of the lid. Nothing complicated here. Just start at the middle back and be prepared to leave a 1” gap in the center.
    DF2CD087-E482-4645-97A6-2059E4B3EF1E.jpg

I ran it all the way around and pulled back the excess, trimmed so ther was a 1” gap as per instructions.
    B2639858-4EA8-4350-89D1-14EF0EF466CC.jpg

Measure twice, cut once. Screw it! I’m living on the edge with a 3/4” gap. Haha
    B9A2F561-AFE1-49F0-84DF-54E5210ED6CD.jpg

Step three: Handles install
    Note there are two different ones. Follow the instructions to install the metal one on the blue lid.
    88C31417-6FAB-438E-9B3F-A9B1AF9FD645.jpg

I found if you angle it slightly and press it downward (or towards you), it drops into place with a good snap.
    56D40CEB-63EF-4896-B1F8-F4786E12641C.jpg

There seems to be ample material that lands into the seat for the handles hard plastic “pins”. There was less than 1/8” of play either way. It hardly moves side to side.
    5C245DE3-9A7B-44CE-9C0C-7F9B7FBD8DE7.jpg

For the front handle I found it easier to flip the box on its lid and angle the handle a bit away from the box. I placed the right side pin into the seat and set the left side with a full hand press downward. It dropped right in again with a snap and did not have much movement side to side.
    B9AC5523-A30C-4883-BDAB-2794F08B1923.jpg

I like how the handle stands on its own. This may change over time with use but I find it to be helpful.
    D78217A8-4607-4BC5-AD53-6A9D407CF908.jpg

Step 4: Latches
    ***This is one place that I think needs revision. There is NOT enough material to keep the latch in the lid when side pressure is applied. It literally flew off when pressure was applied to the side where my thumb is. I have emailed video of this to our DECKED contact.
    A61BBF18-E054-451A-9F7F-6132B0ABF80F.jpg

In normal up/down operations, it was flawless. Note that pressure should be applied to the center bend in the latch to get it to engage. This is very similar to the Frontrunner box latches which you all may be familiar with.
    CFEE95BC-28FD-427A-97B0-8A49F8A335DA.jpg

I did find the divots located here at my index finger to be very helpful to the locking operation of the latches.
    F3C27D41-D050-466A-9C64-B7327FAC34A9.jpg

The tops of the dividers are easily unseated with a medium amount of pressure on the top-most portion. The divider itself remained seated in the section. I would say just don’t overload the top portion of the divider.
    5E94E647-049A-4D38-9D4E-0682FCF0F23E.jpg

The lid has a receiver mold that works perfectly with the divider. If the divider becomes misshapen for some reason, the divider may not seat properly in the lid and could potentially cause it to not close properly. **This has not occurred in the multiple open/close testing I did with the D-Box itself in various positions.
    7E4412EA-34AA-4387-81B7-86D170CF735B.jpg

Dividers:
    You can’t insert them wrong. It’s impossible to even seat the divider if it’s in the wrong position.
    4A164222-D8F0-4CE2-95C7-DD10D5D8053E.jpg

C47EA301-1A23-4E3F-8C48-C120326054F6.jpg

They fit my socket organizers perfectly! The socket organizers are 17.5” long.
    AC9479FD-5588-4E64-ADD9-0EADB1299B7C.jpg

One thing I found interesting...
    The D-Box has two vertical spaces for the two corresponding dividers that it comes with. It seems as thought there should be one that can be installed in the horizontal mold (wider side). It would be handy to have a horizontal divider for my socket sticks or longer tools like a hammer or hatchet. Maybe @TheDECKEDGuy can help address this?

Overall impressions:
    1. Easy assembly
    2. Stout, sturdy, thick plastic molds should withstand years of abuse
    3. The latches will need improvement to insure they stay in the pin seats
    4. Further review will be done as in-field testing is underway.

Any questions? Let me know!:thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  8. Sep 29, 2017 at 5:27 PM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    11/30/2017:

Sit back, grab a beer and prepare for the truth bombs!

Alright, for those of you who don’t want to read the following, I’ll summarize: Yes, yes and yes!

DECKED USA entrusted to me, one of their drawer systems (for the LONG BED TACOMA) for full and complete beta testing/review for a period of six (6) months. In return, I agreed to provide un-biased, honest feedback and review of the drawers.

Anticipated testing modalities: road/highway travel, off-road/long distance overland travel, gear storage, electrical/solar modifications

Uses: Work load outs, tool storage, gear storage, full-time gear storage, grocery store runs (?) – nah!!

Ok, now for the details for you OCD peeps like me…

Link to the system I beta tested: https://decked.com/products/decked-toyota-tacoma?variant=47245293651

Install date: November 4, 2017 – approx. 3 hours, 2 beers

Commuting time/distance: a/o 11/30/2017 – approx. 32 hours road/highway, 640 miles

Off-road time/distance: a/o 11/30/2017 – approx. 48 hours, 1000 miles

1. CUSTOMER SERVICE: I placed this as my number one review for a particular reason. Excellent customer service for a product, any product at this level of financial investment, is crucial. I have always had a direct line contact with our beta testing DECKED representative (@TheDECKEDGuy ). I have to say, he is very responsive to the feedback I have provided thus far and displays great concern over the customer’s needs. I had a small hiccup with my system which we pinned down to being an issue with MY RIG SPECIFICALLY. @TheDECKEDGuy has been relentless in troubleshooting with me in order to not have a duplication of the issue. The fact that he offered his personal cell phone number to communicate with him throughout this process speaks volumes about the level of customer care DECKED provides.
    Separately, I conducted a short, unbiased, general telephone call to DECKED customer service line in an effort to experience what a non-beta tester may hear in a “normal” request for service call. I have to say, I was thankfully equally impressed with the ease of the call and the knowledge of the customer service representative.
    Impression: Happily satisfied with response.

1. PACKAGING AND DELIVERY:
      The system was scheduled to be delivered by the shipping company at a time/date mutually agreed upon with the shipping company (Roadrunner). 83F3E097-EDD1-4C42-ACC7-858F13AFC7AD.jpg To my surprise, the delivery truck showed up to my doorstep the very next day. Although receiving the unit sooner than expected was welcomed, I did get lucky and there was someone home to take delivery/sign for the box…when I say ‘box’, it’s more like a studio apartment. It is a VERY LARGE box on a VERY LARGE pallet.
      Impression: Service and assistance with delivery placement was superb! EFEC70C0-1D7A-4C53-84AA-D7E691A4249D.jpg

2. INSTALLATION:
      This was done quickly and efficiently while employing friends to tackle the various yoga poses required to install the DECKED in my truck – I have a mid-level bed rack to contend with. Thank goodness for friends!! @YotaGurlIAm and @eccracer104 3E90703F-8C3E-44DA-AA19-C36945CD1868.jpg A4D0E8B4-49C1-44C2-930D-B072A8218FEC.jpg As stated by DECKED instructions, you definitely need 2 people…no skimping there.
      Impression: Lengthy, but completely doable with a second person.

3. INSTRUCTIONS: These are also available online. They are full of witty and smart remarks that are placed in just the right spot to invoke comedy and entertainment just when you need it.
      Impression: Very easy to follow. Quite entertaining.

4. Parts: Not complicated. Very self-explanatory. Neatly separated by DECKED in marked baggies. This isn’t anything like an IKEA setup! I would HIGHLY recommend opening everything and placing it on a table to see all parts/parts bags. I didn’t do this and missed the rubber grommets for the deck altogether. I had to go back and remove, reinstall the grommets later. Impression: I’m an idiot sometimes.
    5. Materials: The DECKED frame, c-channels, wheels, drawers and the deck itself are all of very high quality and durability. Yes, it weighs in at >200 lbs for the long bed version, but I hardly noticed when everything was in…the Icon Stage 4 suspension set up with AAL didn’t drop much, if at all. I’d say 1/8 – ¼” sag from the added weight. The HDPE proves to be super solid and durable. The drawers (pre-install) worried me a bit as they flexed torsionally somewhat easily. My expectations for a solid drawer were met upon full and complete install. They don’t flex at all once installed.

6. Drawer Handles: My set came with the handles already installed in the two drawers, so I won’t be able to review the installation process of those. The quality is of heavy-duty, solid material (cast aluminum) which feels indestructible.

7. Locks: I ordered a set of locks ahead of the delivery of the system. I’ve never installed a lock of this type before but the instructions included with them was very simple to follow and provided tips to grasping the smaller pieces, which I found to be very helpful. The keys were obviously a new cut and were very rigid in the lock. After about 5 uses, they smoothed out and are very easy to use now. The DECKED drawers land in the long bed with approximately 6 inches to spare between the DECKED top and the tailgate. 1D288731-FDCB-4882-90E0-27EB5A837209.jpg Without the locks installed, I was able to reach in and open the drawers. This allowed access to about the first 5 inches of drawer storage. 7E3CD636-A84B-4DE5-A77D-D6C54FE66BD4.jpg I would highly recommend installing the lock cores to keep sticky hands away from your gear. I also have the tailgate lock which lends to another level of security. Link to the LOCKS: https://decked.com/products/ad1
    8. D-Box: See previous review in this thread. (POST #7)
    Link to the D-Box: https://decked.com/products/ad5

9. Drawer Dividers: They are quite flimsy considering how rugged and rigid the drawers and frame are. I found that they landed in the grooves very easily (easy install). I have loaded some heavy items (40 lbs) that have not moved within the drawers themselves, but I can imagine if the items did not have rubberized feet, the dividers would experience great flex and would likely bend enough to de-seat from the grooves in the drawers. All in all, I am only using one drawer divider at this point and even that one may be removed as the gear I stow pretty much takes care of itself in the drawer space.
    Link to the dividers: https://decked.com/products/ad2

10. Drain Plugs: I opted in on these in anticipation of testing the drawer out as a cooler of sorts. To be quite honest, as I went through my gear/storage needs I quickly realized that precious space should not be sacrificed for a full drawer of ice, residual water and drinks. I have not yet installed the drain plugs. Link to the Drain Plugs: https://decked.com/products/ad4
    11. ****THE IMPORTANT STUFF**** - The Bottle Opener: At first glance, this is one of those super sweet, thoughtful additions that just puts the icing on the cake! HOWEVER…there is a drawback…the angle that it’s mounted lends itself to absolutely destroying the first few sips of my beer!! Bottle after bottle, the DECKED system bottle opener forced me to sacrifice precious sips of the Nectar of the Gods to my bed liner. It was one of those moments that you realize life isn’t so grand.A2B8A434-5112-47CD-ACAC-4F6044598763.jpg

FINAL IMPRESSIONS: 11/30/2017 After a solid, rugged, off-road experience in the Utah backcountry
    This unit is a well-built, solid alternative to less rugged, expensive, weatherproof drawer systems that are currently on the market or can be made by DIY’rs. I feel the price point is a bit high for the market considering the bed space it takes up and the weight it adds, however that financial investment is off-set by performance ratings that are absolutely off the charts!
    Road travel…
    The 3rd gen Toyota Tacomas are known for a great lack of low-end torque from the factory. This was evident from the moment I drove my truck off the lot for the first time. This became quite apparent when I added a lift and 33” tires. It then was a smack in the face with a full load out in the bed and uphill travel. All of these things I have gotten used to over time. Yes, re-gear is in the near future. That being said, if you run a stock set up and install DECKED, I think you would not feel much difference in drag/low end torque. It’s a very minimal change. After I installed the DECKED system, there was VERY LITTLE difference in the feel/drag of my truck. Highway driving is still a pleasure with the system installed. No forceful bed pressures upon rigid braking, uphill climbs or downhill braking. The system DOES NOT MOVE.
    Impression: Very STABLE. NO APPARENT MOVEMENT.
    Bumps in the road…
    (Speed bumps, Los Angeles freeway stop/go traffic and Southern California potholes)
    My suspension greatly adds to the minimal effects on the truck from adding the weight of the DECKED system. I can only speculate that stock suspension would amplify the feeling of weight in the bed of the truck slightly while going over these obstacles. My current truck set up lends to a feeling of very little impact/jarring when traversing these nuisances in everyday driving.
    Impression: Positive review from a modified truck standpoint.9D6D70CC-8A61-46BC-8538-3EB769B9E8EA.jpg
    Bumps Off-road…
    (Whoops, ruts, berms, washboards, dips, sand, mud, water, dirt, hard-pack)
    (Mountains, beach, desert, canyons)
    I can honestly say that I have THOROUGHLY tested this unit with the utmost confidence that I have exposed it to all types of terrain, obstacles, natural features and man-made features. CE0ECFE2-CAE9-4242-BC33-AD5E81EFC813.jpg From California beaches to Utah’s vast terrain offerings, this unit has seen it all. Dust? No problem at all. The drawers did take in some very fine dust particles over a very long time wheeling in dust clouds. A4C5DFA7-836F-45FD-8634-0B708988B8AA.jpg The c-channels are covered in the fine silt and red clay of Utah’s backcountry and still roll/perform flawlessly.
    Impression: STOUT and DURABLE!
    Weather…and car washes…
    This drawer system has now been exposed to 100+ degree temps in the California desert system and high 20 degree chill in Utah’s mountainous region. From dry to wet weather (it DOES rain in Southern California), the DECKED drawers impressed me throughout! Nothing was wet after a wet day exposed for over 8 hours. 87C5089B-2C52-407C-9041-56B73A25D8C8.jpg
    The high pressure hose at the diesel truck wash was not match for the drawers. Surprisingly after a massive spray session with direct pressure washing of the top and front of the drawers, the weather seal did an EXCELLENT job of keeping the water out. EVERYTHING was dry upon inspection.
    Impression: Pleasantly surprised and impressed.

Storage capability and capacity:
    With one drawer being narrower than the other (I’m very happy DECKED decided to do this), it allows for a multitude of gear storage options. 043A9522-2B36-4993-AE45-E1C8331AD375.jpg From stoves, snowboards, hiking boots, and auxiliary battery generators, to the smallest of items like tooth brushes and anything else that you can imagine putting in there, the drawers are perfectly sized for a variety of stowing configurations and capabilities. If it doesn’t fit in one, it’s VERY likely to fit in the other!
    Impression: I would have liked to have seen the drawers have complete 90 degree angles as opposed to a tapered effect to allow more efficient gear storage and cohesion with many aftermarket storage options, however it seems that all of my extensive gear still fits well in the drawers the way they are molded. This has greatly reduced the need for supplemental storage boxes exposed to the elements and shifty humans with sticky paws.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  9. Sep 29, 2017 at 5:31 PM
    socalktk

socalktk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalvin
    San Gabriel Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD: OR
    Kings, Pelfreybilt skids, mobtown sliders, dakars, SCS
    Dibs dibs

eccracer104 likes this.
  10. Sep 29, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    SC2SC

SC2SC Likes Pineapple on Pizza

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    South of Charlotte
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB MGM TRD OR 4X4
    Icon Custom Build Custom Exhaust • SOS Sliders• RokBlokz
    Thanks for your help earlier! :thumbsup:

11. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:10 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    :fistbump: Anytime man!

I can't wait to see how Nicole sets her DECKED system up. If it's as awesome as it looks and people want them I'll try to get a GB set up when they're available :D

12. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:11 PM
    socalktk

socalktk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kalvin
    San Gabriel Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD: OR
    Kings, Pelfreybilt skids, mobtown sliders, dakars, SCS
    nicole should have a mod day at her place when this goes down. should be a good ole time.

13. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM
    eccracer104

eccracer104 O.G. Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra 4x4
    In!

14. Sep 29, 2017 at 6:12 PM
    dan0mite