1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official West Region DECKED for Tacoma!!!

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MTNHABITOVERLAND, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Oct 26, 2017 at 1:46 PM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

MTNHABITOVERLAND [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Camper Build Instagram: @mountainhabit
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    Thanks @TOP TACO for standing in:thumbsup:
    I’m told I’ll be getting shipment sometime next week. It was delayed a couple of weeks for parts.

@DeltaKilo if the measurements are close, let me know the width of your board and I’ll check it out as soon as I actually get the system so you’ll know for sure.

Cheers!

2. Oct 26, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    TOP TACO

TOP TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marz
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra Crewmax
    Blackvue dash cam
    My pleasure! I have a feeling that a snowboard with bindings mounted on it will not fit in the skinny drawer...:confused: Wouldn't fit in either of my drawers anyhow. #ShortbedProblems

3. Nov 9, 2017 at 12:02 AM
    usgrant

usgrant Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD SPORT ACLB w/6MT
    looking forward to updates @MTNHABITOVERLAND, was looking at TruckVault but these seems a very reasonable alternative. Looking for a system like this along with a canopy for year-round camping. seems promising @TheDECKEDGuy!

MTNHABITOVERLAND[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 10, 2017 at 8:08 AM
    ktmrdr

ktmrdr Well-Known Member

Member:
    My decked system arrived yesterday. I will take some pics after the install next week.

usgrant likes this.
  5. Nov 16, 2017 at 4:51 PM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    Ok all. Here's my update that some may call a non-update...and that's alright. In an effort to remain transparent...

I have installed the decked system. It was a flawless install after following the instructions precisely.

I did run into an issue near the endpoint. I have contacted Decked directly (they have been very responsive and proactive). We are in the process of troubleshooting now. The issue I am running into could have been caused by a number of factors that were present PRIOR to the Decked install. Thus, this is likely NOT an issue with the Decked system. Things like torsional pressures and bed movement from all of the hard off-roading I have done could potentially be the culprit. We are working on piecing together the build process and attempting to identify the issue.

33AC3929-EB2B-49B9-A31F-4B9A62B1BF62.jpg
    Photo credit: @YotaGurlIAm

The actual issue will remain under wraps (it’s not a devastating problem) until it is figured out, as not to cause a stir in the masses. Not only would that be unfair to Decked but again, it is most likely an issue with my truck anyway, not the Decked. Also, Decked has not asked me to keep anything confidential. I'm choosing to do this on my own due to fairness to the process. Decked has shipped out about 100 of the long bed drawers and has NOT had one other report of the issue I'm having. This is another reason I will not report on the issue publicly. It's my decision to do and I feel it's fair.

If you are considering buying this system, I can tell you I would HIGHLY recommend it thus far! It's a solid system.

I'll have much more to come as far as a review but I wanted to bring this to those of you that are following for information.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    YotaGurlIAm likes this.
  6. Nov 18, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    ktmrdr

ktmrdr Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got my system installed in my long bed. I was able to eliminate two action packer bins into the large drawer. Probably could have fit more but I somewhat organized it because I will most likely get some D boxes. Speaking of D boxes. I spoke to Decked yesterday and they plan to release smaller D boxes and dividers late December. The install instruction were good and had it together in about two hours. Stoked on the systemand can't wait to go use it. Here are some pics.deck4 (2).jpg deck4 (1).jpg deck2 (1).jpg deck2 (2).jpg

deck2 (1).jpg

7. Nov 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM
    Seattleskindoc

Seattleskindoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB OR KI7RYA
    RedArc dual battery system, AluCab canopy, Prinsu rack fore and aft Planned: Mobtown recovery bar and full steel skids, light bar on rack and BD amber fog replacements, ham radio and antennae, SPOD system, 12 gallon water tank integrated with bed drawer system
    Has anybody received delivery of a short bed Tacoma system yet ? Long delays - ordered my system over 6 weeks ago. Not a lot of information about the delay.

8. Nov 19, 2017 at 6:39 AM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    And you still have some room in the narrow drawer! :bowdown:

ktmrdr[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Nov 19, 2017 at 6:40 AM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    Have you called Decked directly to check on the status? They have been very responsive when I have spoken with them.

10. Nov 19, 2017 at 6:50 AM
    Tantaco37

Tantaco37 Yes those are Cheech and Chong yard gnomes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Had a 2017 TRD Off-road, now a GMC AT4
    Had these A.R.E. Overland Truck cap, Cover King Tactical seat covers, OME BP-51 full suspension and dakars, SPC adjustable UCA's, Husky Floor Mats, Mobtown Off-road sliders, Cali Raised light bar and ditch lights and bed stiffeners, mobtown off-road front ifs skid, uniden bearcat CB Amd firestick. Now a super fancy stock truck!
    How much clearance do you have from the top of your fridge to the top of the cap sitting on the decked system? Also what’s the clearance from the fridge to the top of you door hung on the cap? What slide did you use and is it easily mountable on the decked system?

11. Nov 19, 2017 at 7:37 AM
    ktmrdr

ktmrdr Well-Known Member

Member:
    There is 3" from the top of the fridge to the top of the rear window opening, 6" to the top of the cap inside. Slide is made by alumi-cab. https://ok4wd.com/alu-cab-tilting-fridge-slide-large-fridges. I am running the 63qt ARB.

Mounting was easy. You just need to make sure to dodge the "ribs" underneath the deck so you can clear a washer and nut.

YOTA 4X4 and Tantaco37[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Nov 19, 2017 at 8:42 AM
    Toyotico

Toyotico Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma 4x4 dclb
    Sub’d. Mighty fine lookin system! Thanks for all info and leg work. I’d like to see one of these in my build in the future.

ktmrdr likes this.
  13. Nov 19, 2017 at 9:46 AM
    Tantaco37

Tantaco37 Yes those are Cheech and Chong yard gnomes!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Had a 2017 TRD Off-road, now a GMC AT4
    Had these A.R.E. Overland Truck cap, Cover King Tactical seat covers, OME BP-51 full suspension and dakars, SPC adjustable UCA's, Husky Floor Mats, Mobtown Off-road sliders, Cali Raised light bar and ditch lights and bed stiffeners, mobtown off-road front ifs skid, uniden bearcat CB Amd firestick. Now a super fancy stock truck!
    That’s awesome! Exactly what I wanted to hear! Your the first I’ve seen with the fridge mounted on the decked. Thank you!

ktmrdr[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 19, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    pcledrew

pcledrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCLB
    Does the long bed version have the corner storage bins in the front of the bed as well as the back?

15. Nov 19, 2017 at 10:35 PM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    Just at the tailgate.

16. Nov 20, 2017 at 6:46 AM
    pcledrew

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCLB
    That’s a little disappointing. I watched their promo video and the idea of having all 4 makes great sense. Any ideas why they can’t for the two up front?

17. Nov 20, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    I’m only guessing here...
    387AFAFE-0D46-412C-B4A2-BA8A907EAACB.jpg
    Some models of our truck have a full length wheel well “shelf” that extends all the way to cabside, mine does not. I’m assuming there are too many variables in the trucks in that area to justify extra r/d for that part. Seems much more cost efficient to have r/d for a single stabilization piece instead. There’s also not much room there. Just my thoughts.

18. Nov 20, 2017 at 9:05 AM
    pcledrew

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCLB
    I can see that. Just seems like if we’re paying full size price (or even more) for these we should get full size options. I don’t expect them to be the same size, just to be there.

19. Nov 20, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    MTNHABITOVERLAND

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Vagabond Outdoors Camper
    The bracket (not installed at that point) also goes in that spot so there’s not much room for a “container” at all.

20. Nov 20, 2017 at 3:33 PM
    theREDwonder

theREDwonder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB Sport 4x4
    Kings + Flippac
    I really want to like the Decked system, but I just can't get over how inefficient it is with the space used. I get that they need infrastructure to support the 2,000 lbs on top of the lid, but once you factor in the 200 pounds of drawers you just put in your bed, your total carrying capacity is down to only ~1,000 lbs. It seems like the 2,000 lb carrying capacity was a carryover feature of the full-size truck application and is literally twice the rated load of our trucks. I did some quick CAD of the drawers, and they are less than 50% efficient in using the space between the wheel wells. On the long bed trucks, like mentioned above, you just lose that little cubby in front of the wheel wells (not included in that space calc).

Maybe I'm being an OCD space hog. Losing access to the rear cubbies seems like a bummer too, like others I have all my wiring back there for in bed power. Seems like its the DIY route for me.

I still think it is a super well put together system, maybe just too well put together. I love Idaho, so they get points for being there :thumbsup: and American made

Gray represents bed volume:
    bottom of bed up 12" (top of decked system), inside the wheel wells, and 68" long (6" short of overall length for a long bed).

2017-11-20_d40c4305336b778aab5f60675d38dfdff8fffa00.jpg

2017-11-20_ee82212586539682333caa023d1a3b0845f2417d.jpg

veg hed, energygeek, usgrant and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top