1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Offroad ban?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by YetiYota, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Dec 18, 2019 at 7:18 AM
    jAndyMendo

jAndyMendo i eat samiches

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD 4x4 OR 2016 4Runner fake-TRAIL Edition
    some tried to overlay the mvum to gaia, but they are not to scale and the overlay project failed. avena maps or whatever its called has the maps of a few forests offered. i just call ahead of time and look at the forest orders as im planning my trip.

calling ahead helps me get the latest slides and closures that may not be on the web yet.

2. Dec 20, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    YetiYota

YetiYota [OP] Insta @yetiyota

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB Super White
    Fox/BDS 4 inch lift, 33x12.5 tires, 18x9 moto metal rims, custom grill from BPF Fabricating, projector headlights, rago fab bed bars, smittybilt rooftop tent...
    My only problem with it is the lack of signs, complete lack of signs, also the FR was kind of being a dick to me even though I was being completely compliant, even backed all the way out of the trail to avoid any damage to the native surface. There is a big welcoming board at the bottom of the trail that they usually will post on and it was empty...didnt ask him about it then figured maybe some asshat ripped the signs down. I live in the national forest, and had to get a christmas tree which I just ended up buying one at walmart, they wouldnt refund my permit though lol.

3. Dec 23, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    I've had a few LEO encounters over the years, or been a 3rd party to encounters, and what some people may see as being an a-hole law enforcement officer might just be someone who chose not to be overly friendly with the 12th person they've stopped who happened to have the same excuse for doing whatever it was you were stopped for.

Just think about it from their perspective. 90% of what they do is babysit a-holes who think the rules don't apply to them, and are just barely smart enough to come up with excuses that people who truly mean no foul would use, too.

photogr4x4 and Speedo like this.
  4. Dec 23, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    czach

czach ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Alameda, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tacoma TRD OR AT 4x2 DCSB
    Faux pro grille, hood bracket mounted ditch pods, gator trifold tonneau cover
    People arguing about native roads? Oh boy time to throw my hat into the fracas.

From what I can find on the Forest Service's website, a native surface tends to be made up of the same material pulled in from around, so if you take the top soil off, you have the dirt below compacted and formed into a road. This is for them (from what I can figure) to classify from roads with non-native surfaces where they may truck in gravel to make a gravel road that can be graded and drained, or some other combination along with a dust mitigator sprayed on the road, then asphalt with lane markings. Non-native roads need additional materials brought in for maintenance, native roads just need a field team or to do on site patch work with well... dirt.

I could be totally wrong too, and all that an elaborate lie or the truth. But i'd have to call the forest service to verify that.

photogr4x4 and Dor like this.
  5. Dec 23, 2019 at 4:51 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    We're not arguing, we're discussing government speak. "Native Surface Roads also known as dirt roads". Why not just call it what it is, a dirt road?

6. Dec 23, 2019 at 4:51 PM
    YetiYota

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fox/BDS 4 inch lift, 33x12.5 tires, 18x9 moto metal rims, custom grill from BPF Fabricating, projector headlights, rago fab bed bars, smittybilt rooftop tent...
    I know he is just doing his job, which I dont mind, my only problem was the sign issue, thats all, I got over his attitude as soon as we split paths. Since they decided to shut down the forest a month early they should at least make sure theres a sign up, especially since a week prior they gave out a bunch of christmas tree permits and told everyone to go into the forest and find a tree. They decided to close the forest early they should expect to have to turn around a few a-holes.

7. Dec 24, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    They didn't "decide" to close it early. It's dependant on weather. They can't see the future and stop selling tree permits early.

photogr4x4 and Anderson like this.
  8. Dec 24, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    YetiYota

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You must be real fun at parties

9. Dec 24, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    Anderson

Anderson Dudemanbro

Member:
    First Name:
    Anderson
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    ProBro
    Stuff
    Hahhahahaha. I bet you are too!

on another note

Having a level head, and understanding that all parties deserve respect in this conversation should be observed. This can veer off into political grounds very quickly and that gets us shut down. We are a very diverse group of opinions and interests here. There is a respectful place for us all.

photogr4x4, czach and otis24 like this.
  10. Dec 24, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Depends on the party. If it's a pity party, then no, I'm probably not going to be the life of the party, lol...

Look man, you said you even live in the NF, so it seems like you of all people should know how the FS operates. I certainly don't know all the rules and regulations for where I live, but I have a general idea.

Something my brother always likes to tell people is that 99% of the people who come here probably didn't know that (whatever they were being stopped for) was illegal, but they managed not to violate it, either.

I certainly get your frustration, it sucks there aren't signs everywhere. At one point I'm sure there was an effort to put signs everywhere, however impractical that really is. But like you said, people can just as easily take the signs down and try to claim ignorance.

The other part of the story is that people tend to complain about signage, or lack of enforcement, bathrooms that don't get cleaned, or whatever, but at the same time flip their lids when they ask for an appropriate budget for such things. I'm not saying that's you of course, but that's the world the FS, and any other state/fed agency deals with on a daily basis. They want their cake but don't want to pay for it. So things like signs often don't get placed where we'd like them to.

otis24, Dor and Anderson like this.
  11. Jan 5, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    Speedo

Speedo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dcsb 4x4
    Wrecked!
    It is all about money, putting signs up on every NF route would cost alot. They barely keep funds to keep them open as is. There was trees to be found off paved roads or roads that were open in EDF, you just had to look at the maps.
    Seasonal road closures has been a law for decades. Signs do nothing to stop people. How many actually do the speed limit?
    How many red light runners do you see daily? How many car pool lane violators do you see on your commute? Nobody reads the signs, nor do they care.

otis24, TOP TACO and Anderson like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top