1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Offroading, adding weight, but don't want much lift...

Discussion in 'ToyTec Lifts' started by trailotter, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    trailotter

trailotter [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Liberty, MO
    I have a new 2012 Tacoma DCSB Sport that I'm in the process of outfitting for my basic needs. I don't do any hardcore wheeling (no locking diff), but I will be getting offroad, class 3 or 4 trails. I do tow stuff occasionally.

I don't want much lift, maybe an inch. I'm still running 30.6" tires (new 265x70x16 Michelins, so they'll be on there awhile). The sport is a tad "mushy" I think for offroad. My main concern is that I'm adding weight:

Undercover mount - 38 lbs
    Warn VR8000-s - 62 lbs
    Front skid - 50 lbs
    Transfercase skid - 28 lbs
    Transmission skid - 10 lbs
    Sliders - 120 lbs

I figure most of that weight will be over front axle, about 250 lbs or so. I was looking at getting bilstein 5100's all around, but am guessing that the stock coils will not be up to the task. Am I right?

With 5100's all around, what coils would you recommend in my situation? (If stock isn't appropriate) Is there a specific kit you'd steer me to?

2. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T All of those moments....will be lost.....in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I would suggest Eibach coils for the front , they are a 600 lb spring rate IIRC , and will provide 1.6" of lift with the billies at zero

The billies could be set at .85 if you need more lift

3. Jul 3, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Bay Area NorCal
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    ^X2 and those are some beefy sliders at 120lbs

4. Jul 5, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    trailotter

trailotter [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Liberty, MO
    Yeah, these: https://www.allprooffroad.com/05tacomatrailarmor/05tacomarocksliders

I've been reading a lot since I'm a noob and I know I can't be the first in this situation, but most folks go for a higher lift. I'm armoring since I do want to offroad, but want the stock height (plus maybe 1" in front), since 95% of my driving is commuting. Since ground clearance is achieved by larger tires and I'm not doing that, makes no sense to jack my taco. Around these parts I see lots of sky high trucks w/o skids, sliders, or winches, so for show only.

Should I forget about the 5100's and just go straight OME? I'm looking for the best ride with the least amount of compromise (as in reduction of travel).

To Top