1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oh boy, let me tell ya 'bout my 1995 Toyota Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BensYota, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Mar 19, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    BensYota

BensYota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    This isn't really a build thread even though i want it to be, consider it story time. I've became one with this truck over the past few years of ownership and let me tell you its been glorious and awful at the same time and more. This 4 banger lives at the rev limiter and mechanically i have only gone through a clutch so i think its pretty safe to say this 2.4L 2wd base model pick me up truck holds its own ground. This is my first car and i inherited it from my dad at 150,000 miles. It sat in a driveway its whole life as he bought it new and 'rarely' drove it so basically it's brand spankin new for a baby yota as it sits at 170,000 miles currently. I have dreams and aspirations to one day convert this bad boy to 4wd and do serious wheeling (SAS, engine swap more than likely going to happen too) but for the moment it does pretty good ripping up a field and getting stuck :) It's tail happy and excellent at doughnuts but that's about where the positive things end....OH it has a 5speed i forgot to mention!!!!! Enough of the funny talk this truck doesn't amount to much of anything but i try to make the most of it and it puts a smile on my face so it will do for the time being.

I'll be attaching pics of things i do to the truck as i attempt to build it into something decent as this truck IS DAILY DRIVEN. I have little to no experience working on cars and this is my first time taking this truck apart and putting it back together. But the fear of your truck potentially falling apart at any second adds some excitement to your day don't you think?

Apologize for the long introduction but let me tell ya 'bout my 95 taco named CalvinIMG_2777.jpg
    (fenders and bumper are missing and i will get to explaining that headache too but looks pretty mean dont it? lol)

update currently:B2E92C30-DC07-4D57-83D2-F8D87DD8E5AA.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Mar 19, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    Wixo

Wixo Platinum+ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 SR5 Tundra CM 5.7L Barcelona Red
    Tint, LED interior
    NICE

Taco critter and BensYota[OP] like this.
  3. Mar 19, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    Jayste4

Jayste4 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 3.4
    3" lift, fancy exhaust tip.
    My headlights need those frown thingies. Where did you get them?

GQ7227, BensYota[OP] and Taco critter like this.
  4. Mar 19, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    Bigdaddy4760

Bigdaddy4760 Well traveled Older Than Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Maner
    Poolville Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCLB TRD OR, 2004 DCSB
    Welcome to TW
    :hattip: :cheers:
    Interested in the rest of the story

GQ7227, BensYota[OP] and Taco critter like this.
  5. Mar 19, 2019 at 2:02 PM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    I just taped them off and used plasti dip.......did a poor job but looks good from a distance. I will make sure to include pictures as i will be updating this post with more information on little things i have done to the truck

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    danielsthomas57 likes this.
  6. Mar 19, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    DW85

DW85 Dude.....

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2001 XtraCab Tacoma TRD 4x4/2004 SR5 V6 4Runner
    Tacoma: Badlands basher front bumper Trail gear rear bumper Trail gear sliders OME Dakar’s OME 883 Coils Bilstein 5100s front Bilstein 5125s rear SPC Upper Control Arms Wheeler’s Extended brake lines ProComp 51 Series 15x8 3.5” BS 32x11.50x15 BFG KO2’s Honda CR-V windshield washer nozzles Hella 500FF fog lights Energy Suspension power steering rack bushings 4Runner: Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 265/70r17’s TPMS Bypass mod RCI Skid Plate CBI Ditch light brackets 1.25” Wheel Spacers 2” Front Leveling Kit
    Welcome! Looking forward to the story :thumbsup:

Taco critter likes this.
  7. Mar 19, 2019 at 2:19 PM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    Day 1, taken before i even got my license but probably the best shape this truck has ever been inIMG_0677.jpg
    pretty much downhill in reliability from here :)

8. Mar 19, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    Originally hated the truck. Despised everything about it and thought it was hideous (which it kinda was) but as a young car guy getting to learn to drive stick and the thrill of racing down a back road the truck began to grow on me. I can't begin to explain the handling as it was stiff and nimble yet a boat at the same time but for obvious reasons it was more fun to drive than my grandmas camry. Soon after, i plasti dipped my bumpers and wheels (over the rust *cringe*), somehow ended up w a cone in the bed and also thought i was a cool guy with my patagonia an destin stickers on the back window. Overall just freshened up the look of the truck. Also if you look closely you can see where i removed the plastic bottom piece of my front bumper for a more rally ish kind of look. I'm not too sure why i believed it to be a good decision at the time but i guess we can conclude it looked "better".IMG_0175.jpg

BuelltonTacoma, Taco critter and DW85 like this.
  9. Mar 19, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    i would daily that in a heartbeat, and your story makes it even better. awesome. :thumbsup:

Taco critter and BensYota[OP] like this.
  10. Mar 19, 2019 at 2:46 PM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    A better picture of the front end, also tinted the windows. Looks clean and crisp.IMG_2185.jpg

Taco critter and Bigdaddy4760 like this.
  11. Mar 19, 2019 at 3:31 PM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    OKAY! sadly my old ipad hit the hay and its refusing to cooperate with my computer so i lost a lot of photos between the last photo and this video but, trust me, you didn't miss much lol. About a year ish has gone by and i finally convinced my parents to let me hone my acquired driving skills in my back field. It's an old horse pasture and my truck became a lawnmower as you can see how tall the grass was but i was having a ball and this is where talk of looking at lift kits came into play. I also mastered this lil corner i made i promise i didn't spin out everytime!!!! Also had a buddie bring his jeep just in case i got in too deep. Funny story it ended up catching on fire because too much grass got caught under his skidplate and the heat of the exhaust started a flame.....got put out before any damage was done but was a good scare.

IMG_1440.jpg IMG_1450.jpg IMG_1413.jpg
    (both had overheating problems)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  12. Mar 20, 2019 at 6:07 AM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    I found some old photos. I met my match this day, pretty hosed and had to wait for a friend to pull me out which wasn't till the following day. I was pretty upset lol mud not my friend
    IMG-3445.jpg IMG-3446.jpg
    Here is just some more old random photos, The school lineup every morning was interesting just know my truck was he easiest to park :) and yes i did wrap my truck in wrapping paper one christmas just cause and after a painstaking weekend of work just for it to be ruined by a day of rain i don't think ill be doing that ever againIMG-3441.jpg IMG-3443.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

Flare side Taco Lover and DW85 like this.
  13. Mar 20, 2019 at 6:31 AM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    The day everything changed. Story time: While riding around with my friend, (the chevy^) we were running errands to several local offroad shops for his truck and i started asking around about finding a lift for my truck. The shop i got in touch with i wont name but i began to get in contact with them on a regular basis and we closed in on a deal for a fabtech 3" lift that replaced the factory torsion bars in the front and includes a new UCA with an add a leaf for the rear. It was the most affordable option as the other choice was a 6" lift priced well over $1k that i had no way to afford and it redid the whole suspension setup altogether blah blah blah. Now the shop did nothing wrong i was left on my own to buy the wheels and tires and didn't pay attention to the fine print and bought 17 x 9 fuel hostage rims and wrapped them in 265/70r17 nitto ridgegrapplers which "fit" but my backspacing was about an inch off. So the shop told me they were not going to touch my truck from the get go because they told me the setup would not work as my tires were too big. understandable. So i packed up my corner of parts and $1200 tires that i couldn't return because they were already mounted and balanced and went home. I mocked up how they would look because i was so anxious trying to figure out what i was going to do being 17 and $2k in the hole. I ended up throwing in the towel and my parts pile occupied the corner of my garage for about a year.
    IMG-3439.jpg IMG-3440.jpg IMG-3442.jpg

14. Mar 20, 2019 at 6:43 AM
    Bigdaddy4760

Bigdaddy4760 Well traveled Older Than Dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Maner
    Poolville Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCLB TRD OR, 2004 DCSB
  15. Mar 20, 2019 at 9:00 AM
    GQ7227

GQ7227 mw survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    J A Y
    309km east of Hazard ...the good life
    Vehicle:
    '97 black SR5 0g ~ MT @ 176k ...
    black woolWax, green IFC, borlaCB, custom Line-X PC drums, skid, nuts, hooks, 1/4 silver frame...
    my fairly new snow/mud rubber is drooling :drool:

i had to pass up a low-maintenance country road outside of the flooded area here the other day

what state is this in?

16. Mar 20, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    I got tired of looking at the wheels sitting in my garage. They were listed on craiglist since the day i got home but buyers were only interested in the tires and i wasn't going to not sell the wheels as a whole package because i just wanted everything gone. Toyota's 5 lug bolt pattern (5 x 4.5) steered away most buyers. They continued to sit. The fall of 2018 i was fed up, i convinced myself and my friends that we would make them fit. I got my buddies together and with absolutely no plan whatsoever we dedicated a weekend to put the lift on ourselves. A group of teenagers with no instructions and no mechanical knowledge of suspension geometry what could possibly go wrong? Well, we made numerous mistakes along the way and "wasted" a whole day taking the entire front end apart trying to put this there or that through that hole and just kept getting stuck. It took a while but it became apparent after watching several youtube videos that my truck simply didn't have any torsion bars period. The torsion bar setup i believe was introduced in the 1995.5 tacoma and not my 95 taco. A half of a year difference that caused a whole world of pain. The UCA included in the kit also, surprise surprise, didn't fit. 2 days of going at the front end from every angle we could and we came up with nothing. I am a normally chill guy but i was furious, tired, and lost. We were sitting on the garage floor staring at the truck in defeat. We put the tires on just cause we felt as if we had nothing to loose but to at least at full droop the truck looked perfect! if only it would stay that way. We messed around and slowly put the truck on its own weight and we came to the conclusion that maybe if we just took the fender off it wouldn't rub! So we got ideas. Soon after both fenders were removed along with the front bumper. The tires weren't rubbing.......only when pointed straight but it was a start. The front had clearance for miles but the rear quickly hit the footwells of the cab. Now it was getting late and we've seen online that people bang out fender wells to fit bigger tires before so why not. Why not. We got to hammering, it wasn't pretty and my neighbors probably didn't appreciate the loud banging in the middle of the night. We managed to turn the tires with minimal rubbing so we deemed it good enough for a test drive so we bolted up all 4 and drove to the gas station on the corner of my street and back. And it worked!!! It was functioning and it was a mess but we celebrated. We managed to fit the tires with no lift at all. No plan no nothing. I also took the opportunity to cut my muffler off because i wanted to be more aggressive sounding.

IMG-1591.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg

i apologize for the lack of pictures as im posting all of this after the fact but everything will be more in depth as the build continues.

17. Mar 20, 2019 at 9:14 AM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    i live in kentucky and own about 8 acres of a flat field i can do whatever on

18. Mar 20, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    I like it :thumbsup:.

Get these and make those fenders and bumper fit. If it's rubbing on the firewall don't be afraid to beat it in with a hammer. If it splits just seal it back up with RTV

19. Mar 20, 2019 at 7:42 PM
    LeMoine

LeMoine Member

Member:
    Dig it!

BensYota[OP] and Bigdaddy4760 like this.
  20. Mar 21, 2019 at 5:51 AM
    BensYota

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma 2wd 5speed
    Yes lots of hammering had to be done on the firewall! The driver side turned out perfect but the passenger side did split and i attempted to seal it back up with all the wrong materials and i managed to to create a really bad leak that i can't find the source of :facepalm:. If i actually dedicated time to finding it I'm sure it would be an easy fix, it only floods my whole passenger side when it rains. Cutting the fenders!! That is my plan to go with in the near future but i plan on painting my truck when i do so so I've kind of waited till i get that situated and ready to go when i do. I had the same tool choice in mind that you used and they seem to have worked great. Thank you for the reply:thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top