1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oh DELL NO!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by FreidTaco, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:17 AM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Sounds like to me one of two things.

It's over heating and shutting down. There is prolly one fan in there and that's not going to cut it. I just built me a pc and I have five fans in my tower.

Second it could be a software issue.

2. Feb 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco [OP] boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD OffRoad SR5
    URD Stage 3 SC. 35" duratracs LT
    Okay guys thanks for the tread jack! Haha, no worries tho.
    And I actually did buy my computer thru dell, I Custom built and ordered it from their website. Cost me $2,200 before my discount I get with Cabelas.

I do not know what else they could replace, and i do keep it on a cooling pad, and our house is always set at 62 (Trying to keep costs down at college).

I just got a call this morning that the service guy should get in my parts tomorrow and be at my house to replace them. I have about 100 days left on my warrenty, and am sure glad i had purched the 2 year. I just wish i would have done something so I would not have this many issues.

I do have to admit that Dell can usually have a technician at my front door in about 2-3 days after calling them with my issues. Hats off to them for that at least.

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    How do you use the laptop when it starts to go nuts? Is it getting the airflow required? I've seen laptops left sitting on beds or couches, air intake sucking nothing but lint.

Bring up task manager and check CPU usage. If it's pegging, you got some rogue software going on. That heats stuff up.

There's free CPU temp monitoring software out there - get an idea of what's going on temp wise, as heat kills them all......even Macs.

FWIW, I've had my share of Dells over the years and have had great service out of them all. But sometimes, you get a dud.....even Macs.

(No, Macs are not magic. They use the same damn hardware now. Back in the day they rolled their own, but no longer. An i7 is an i7, no matter who sells it.)

edit: I see you have a cooling pad...so nevermind the airflow question.

4. Feb 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco [OP] boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE: The technician left my house an hour ago after installing another motherboard. They did not send the processor because they dont know if will be working correctly without another machine to check it, and they wanted to make sure that it was not the processor socket was not bad first. So now that i am the owner of motherboard #4 my computer still does not work. They said that if must be sent in to them. They will be mailing me an empty box so i can mail it right back to them with my computer in it. They said it would take 5-10 for them to fix it and get it sent back out to me.

I have downloaded a temperature monitoring program and have been monitoring it. my CPU usage is always between like 2% and 30% and the temperature normally runs on my 4 cores between 130*F to 165*F. I have seen it hit 180*F once. The safety shutdown temp that program says is 212*F....So basically i have no idea why it "melted down."

I think im going to name my computer Chernobyl.

5. Feb 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    Camo Dude

Camo Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Which program did you download?

6. Feb 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    truckboattruck

truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    silver sport
    99superjet 11ktm350
    well it looks like my work is done here.
    [​IMG]

7. Feb 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco [OP] boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    I do not remember exactly wich one it was... I could tell you in about 2 weeks. :mad:

8. Feb 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    As a tech, I've seen plenty of Macs fail too. The only difference is the PR machine paid to keep it on the down low. I will give Apple props for good customer service. But it's a myth their hardware is any more reliable.

OP - Check this ... http://en.community.dell.com/dell-b...13/7-beeps-error-on-the-studio-17-laptop.aspx

As for the i7 heat - it's been a big problem with early i7s in laptops. Those chips run way hot. And it's still the reason why I recommend i5s to my laptop clients.

If your system is still under warranty with Dell, I would demand a replacement with a newer system altogether.

One very IMPORTANT note to you ... before sending it in, pull the hard drive & make a copy. If you can get the whole drive, great. Otherwise just get your documents, music, pics, favorites etc. Any decent shop can do this for you.

Go down to Walmart and buy a backup drive (get one big enough for your system). The Western Digital Passport Essential drive is a good choice. Then take the backup and your hard drive to the shop. If you're not comfortable removing the hard drive from your laptop, they can do this too. It takes 5 minutes, so don't let them overcharge you for this! For reference, I'd charge a client $60 to make a complete back image (ghost) of a drive up if they brought me the laptop and backup device.

Just remember -- Chances are if they do replace your system with a newer model, your data will NOT come with it!

9. Feb 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco [OP] boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    I clicked ont he link you sent and i did try that. I have pulled my hard drive and will be sending my computer back to them once i recieve the box (should be today)

I am not sure about how they would like me demanding a new system all to gether. I am not sure how to go about this seeing as i will be sending my machine in for a replacement processor. If i do have any other issues i will more than likely be demanding a new machine from them as long as i am still under warranty.

I have the studio 1747, what would be the direct replacement?

10. Feb 24, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco [OP] boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Well it finally arrived and is working. For now.
    Took forever to get back to me. Stupid fedex.
    finally_f567fa5916c13f748f7026dc98d022a244bcc11a.jpg

11. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    did they tell you exactly what the problem was??

12. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    We recently (like within the last month) had a rash of new Dell laptops with bad motherboards at our company. Sounds like Dell got a bad batch.

13. Feb 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    I hate Dell computers, I have had 3 over the years and they were all junk. 2 laptops (dell has a history of crappy batteries) and one desktop (as mentioned with another brand by someone else, the monitor turned into a fireworks show). Got my Toshiba laptop now. Sucked cause it crashed in Afghanistan soon after purchase, but once I reloaded it, it works amazing.

14. Feb 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco [OP] boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    toasted my i7 processor

15. Feb 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    CopyTaco

CopyTaco skeeert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kins
    Florence, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4x4 DCLB
    OME, Demello, 4xInnovations, Relentless, Murdered Click Sig Pic for Build Log
    tldr;

I would look at inadequate cooling being the problem. Random restarting lends itself to overheating quite often, which in turn will cause other components to fail sooner.

edit: in other words, clean your fans every now and then. don't be afraid to see whats under the cover.

16. Feb 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    Lazylegs

Lazylegs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Southern Maryland, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Red Toyota AC Sold
    Tint (35%), a must. Step bars, Bull bar, Bull lights,4x4 light mod, Flip down 10" DVD player, De badged, Color match front emblem, color matched bumpers., black out tails, Cobra cb, Flashlight mod,bed-light mod,
    I have a dell Inspirion that I have owned for three months and I just had the Dell visiting tech at my house today to fix mine as well. I needed a new battery and motherboard.
    Glad it was under warranty.

17. Feb 24, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    FreidTaco

FreidTaco [OP] boost

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Panhandle of Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    I have had my fans and heat sink replaced twice now... and ya i try to keep this baby as cool as possible. I may just have to open my window. Its a balmy 21*F out now.

18. Feb 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    Fans and Heatsinks (HSF) are the visible part of cooling. Thermal compounds that transfer heat from source to cooling apparatus (HSF) are of paramount importance and in many cases are cheaply sourced or applied incorrectly.

A good thermal compound (MX-2/AS5/Shin Etsu/etc) can drop temperatures substantially over a stock application, because equal coverage over the heat source + high thermal conductivity + good HSF = good cooling.

19. Feb 29, 2012 at 3:33 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

I have had dell laptops and desktops. I have nad better luck with the laptops. You are correct the batteries they put in them are rather useless after a year.

20. Feb 29, 2012 at 3:51 AM
    03coma

03coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    Had the same issue with my old Dell Studio, that's why I switched to Mac. Dell has gone down hill. they lost a lot of the market share to HP over the past few years.

Products Discussed in

To Top