1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OHV registration fees..

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by drewskie, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Aug 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM
    drewskie

drewskie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I am attempting to sell my old dirtbike that I never registered when I bought it from the first owner. I called the DMV to see how much I would have to pay to put it in my name to be able to sell it. They said it's going to cost about 280 f-ing dollars. That's registration and tax, other bs fees, etc. How much does it usually cost? I have registered a few ohv toys years ago, and I thought it was about 40-50 bucks. Am I getting ripped or is that what it costs nowadays?

2. Aug 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    my registration was 50 bucks. I have trx 450er 2006.

3. Aug 16, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    Sounds like they're charging you previous back pay. Normally around $45 a year.​

4. Aug 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Well I havent updated mine yet, I just bought it recently. Title transfer and taxes came aout around 350, which I thought was ridiculous.

5. Aug 16, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    For sure back fees! the three that we own are all 50$ each. You should pay if u ride in high profile areas, they can take your shit!

6. Aug 16, 2012 at 5:09 PM
    drewskie

drewskie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Well, my bike is a 1997. I bought in 05, and never transferred the title to my name. Basically, it's been in limbo this whole time. The DMV guy said there aren't any penalties, it's basically just 200 in transfer fees. The other hundred is the tax. This still seems outrageous though, from what I remember, even transferring titles was only about 60 bucks. I don't what to do now. I can't sell the bike with those kind of fees passed to the new guy, and I'm not going to pay 300 bucks just to sell the bike. Thieving bastards.

7. Aug 17, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    I do out of state reg on all my bikes, I would rather not pay California registration only to have that very money help shut down the OHV areas when the Govt. "Borrows" the OHV funds for something more important! Like they do every year. This year it was 30+ million dollars stolen or wait I mean "borrowed with no intention on paying it back" from the fund.

If your selling the bike let the new owner figure it out, just tell him you didnt register it since it was not being used, there are ways around the fees if you talk to the right person, if it wasnt being used, legally you dont need to register it IE: used only as a track bike where reg. is not required, they cant charge you for registration that wasnt needed. They try to do this anyway and it is unlawful, the DMV is NOT a Govt. entity, it is a private business reguardless of what people think. They try to get away with all kinds of shady stuff, lame.

They tried to do this to me and I wrote them a letter telling that it was illegal to try and charge me for something I didnt want or intend to use just because they wanted to charge me for something they thought I was going to use.

Sell it as is, and tell the new owner the deal, he should be able to skirt around it.

8. Aug 17, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    California is a joke! For fees! I hate politics!

9. Aug 17, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Green/red sticker is about $52 for 2 years. The transfer tax and all that other stuff is something you'll never get around.

If you register out of state, you will still need to have non-resident OHV stickers to ride on FS or OHV areas.

And although it's a matter of semantics, the legislators do not borrow or steal from the OHV fund, they merely divert the funds before they ever get into the fund. Doesn't really change the fact monies are not being used for their intended purpose :D

Lastly, the DMV isn't a private business. It's through fees tacked onto registration that the State of California funds stuff that has nothing to do with automobiles or driving.

10. Aug 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Oh I know. I got tabs as well but that stil seemed way out of what it should have been.

11. Aug 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    Speed Freek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Ah, well then the person I spoke with at AAA was misinformed, they said it was not an actual govt. agency. It was just funded by them but not owned, either way..

As far as reg, I use an AZ license and get non-resident OHV stickers if I am racing etc, otherwise I dont even get a sticker, I just dont make eye contact with LEO and tend to go in the other direction rapidly!

Transfer tax can be substatially lowered or eliminated if you have a bill of sale that says "Gift", there are ways, you just have to know the workarounds.

And the legislature blatantly "STEALS" money, this state is so fked up, using the "Do as I say, not as I do" Policy!! Our state leaders are the biggest criminals of all and they seem to operate with impunity! Big brother can kik you ass and they know it, Hmm a democracy huh, something like that. What a double edged sword...

OK I am stepping off my soap box! :p

12. Aug 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    AAA is a private company who has a contract to provide some DMV services. You pay for that service and AAA pays the DMV for the privilege of providing them...win-win :D Better than standing in line at the DMV but not better than dealing with them on-line :D

13. Aug 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    Speed Freek

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    Thats why I go to AAA for everything I can, but they dont do OHV stickers, not that I want one but....

Products Discussed in

To Top