1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil and Transmission Drain Plug Confusion

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by KenLyns, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:29 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns [OP] Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off Road Full-Auto
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    My local dealer had a Corolla displayed sideways to advertise rustproofing. I couldn't help noticing the similarity between the oilpan and transmission drain plugs. If you thought the Taco was bad... From what I can tell the smaller pan is for the engine, while the larger pan is the tranny, because of the driveshafts coming out of it.

02222012(006).jpg

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    The Taco is so easy and so is this. Look where the driveaxle goes into. Ir isn't going into the engine.

3. Feb 25, 2012 at 5:15 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns [OP] Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    All-Pro Front Bumper, All-Pro UCAs, Icon ET Coilovers, Icon VS Rear Shocks, TSB Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, CBI Sliders, ViAir Compressor, Klearz LED 3rd Brake Light, Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle, Husky Front Flaps, Deeza HD Sway Bar Links
    ^ Seems perfectly logical, doesn't it? Yet a couple of experienced people on TW have done it. And the Taco's drain plugs have more distinction between them. I think a lot of people don't get under their vehicles far enough to get a look at the oil pan, especially on a car with low ground clearance. Instead, they fit a wrench over the most prominent bolt and start turning...

4. Feb 25, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    It's so easy for Toyota to add labels to the plugs, I don't understand why they don't.

5. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Yeah but I don't understand how anyone could fuck up an oil change on a 2nd gen. Just look where the pan is at. Typically engines are not under the vehicle body unless you drive a Previa or Astro.

Just seems like only a derp would screw it up. I'm not genius myself but I can tell what pan is to what component.

6. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas What is hummingbird?

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box
    Extra fog lights behind grill, Pro Form rubberized undercoat, Fog lights on w/ high beams mod, Lighted 4wd switch, Husky Liners, 12v always on, Yellow wire mod, DEVIL HORNS BABY!! OME 885's Nitrochargers w/ 1.5" AAL with 1" lift block, Redline hood struts, front/rear winch wiring, Blue Sea systems Fuse Block, Spidertrax spacers, Wet Okle seat covers, ECGS front diff Bering Replacement
    My wife can change my oil ... nuff said

7. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns [OP] Lord of War

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    Meanwhile, another TW member's wife drove the truck in the middle of an oil change, with the oil filter missing. She didn't get very far...

8. Feb 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Mine can too since I installed a Fumoto valve ;)

9. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:00 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and l
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    The Taco's engine oil drain bolt is a no-brainer...it's the one under the engine.

10. Feb 25, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solutionÂ…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Hali, NS
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    The other common thing (other than the oil plug being under the engine haha) is most oil plugs are on an angle and the vast majority of trans drain plugs are parallel to the ground.

To Top