1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Change Interval decrease as engine ages?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by news8000, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Apr 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Just because you read that an aftermarket part is popular does not mean that it is particularly "good"

From what you read online, you'd think that the stock intake is not a "cold air intake"... it is.

Part of it is people buy something and they're excited about it, then later when the novelty wears off, they aren't posting about it.
    People claim they "feel" improvement. A new air filter is not going to give you enough of a power increase to "feel"... all it may do is make the intake louder so you THINK it has more power.

K&N, and many other items that are popular, are designed and are good for high performance applications where every bit of power can be the difference between winning and losing. That does not mean that they are the best for long-term durability of your engine.

2. Apr 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    But there is no denying the throttle response improvement is incredible. :stirthepot: No dyno run can disprove that.

3. Apr 14, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Engine going "BRAAAP" /= improved throttle response ;)

Everyone was claiming the secondary air filter made a difference in throttle response on the 2.7.
    Did mine.
    My hearing is horrible... deaf in my right ear...
    I noticed no difference.
    Wife noticed a difference even when I'm not getting on it.

4. Apr 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    I just did my oil change today Mobil 1 and toyota filter, gona stay with this combo every 6k miles for as long as I own this rig.

5. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM
    Orion Antares

Orion Antares Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road White 4x4
    Where are the studies saying performance can increase with a dirty filter?

I noticed in that report that they did say the acceleration performance increased when the filters were clean. To me that says that if you need to use your truck for loads or towing that you'll get better results from not letting your filter be too dirty.

6. Apr 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    In light- and medium-duty applications, the service life is normally defined by accumulated mileage. However, it is very common for over-servicing to occur in these applications due to a lack of understanding of how optimum air filter efficiency is achieved.5,6 The standard recommended service life for an air filter in light- and medium-duty applications, during normal driving conditions, is about 30,000 miles.5–7 It is common, however, for servicing to occur when the filter appears dirty. Engine air filters are designed to actually increase their efficiency by using this initial layer of dust as an added filter layer. Initial filter efficiency is usually approximately 98% but increases to more than 99% by the end of the service life of the filter.7,8 Therefore, changing an air filter before the useful service life is achieved can result in premature engine wear.6,9

Follow the references, that's increased performance trapping dirt. Obviously a clogging filter traps more dirty.

They did show a decrease in performance of, which is to be expected. I'm not saying you won't lose power, but since I don't often exceed 300 rpm I'm not seeing any power loss through a dirty filter. They increased acceleration times 6-11% with grossly clogged filters, too much for someone that wants more power for sure, change that filter but trade some protection.

7. May 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    seligman

seligman Well-Known Member

Member:
    What oil change intervals does everybody use? More specifically, those of you running Mobil 1 synthetics, how long do you stretch it?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance is rated up to 15,000 miles. This seems kind of extreme, but maybe that's just me. What about Mobil 1 Full Synthetic (the regular stuff) or Mobil 1 High Mileage, how many miles would you run on each?

FWIW, I use Purolator Pureone filters.

8. May 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    5000 to 7500 miles.

The oil may be good for 25000 or more, but the filtration may not be, and without having an oil sample analyzed, you have no way of knowing.
    $25 for used oil analysis?

Not economical.

Oil changes, conventional or synthetic, are one of the most inexpensive things that you can do to your engine that help ensure a long service life.
    There are more benefits to a quality synthetic other than extended drain intervals. Extended drain intervals are pushed by the marketing departments to make customers believe that they are getting their money's worth out of the most costly oil.

Mobil-1 claims 15000, Amsoil claims up to 24000, but both say that you should follow manufacturer recommended service intervals while the vehicle is under warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top