1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oil change on tacoma 08

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fred56, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Drew793

Drew793 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road V6 Auto
    Weather Tech window shades, Roll-N-Lock cover with cargo manager, Led interior bed lights, EZ down tailgate strut, SpiderTrax1.25" wheel spacers, tinted windows, second filter removed, Grillcraft Mesh upper and lower grill, Castrol Syntec.
    Crawling under to drain the oil. Sorry left that out in my post. Yes, I have a 4.0 liter six with filter on the top. I am using OEM Toyota filter straight from the dealer.

Yes, most people are going to run the engine or have just run the engine right before changing the oil & filter,,, so yes there is going to be oil in the filter.

But,,, has anyone changed their filter after their truck sat overnite? This is what I refer to as a cold engine. This would be the only way enyone would know if their filter's anti-drain valve holds.

Well, I'll see if I get oil on the next oil change. If I don't, then I'm going to send the filter to Toyota because it would indicate that the filters are defective. Can't be anything else.

2. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    These things are great, i put them on all my vehicles, but i am disappointed on the length of the nipple on the one for the Tacoma, it gets right up to the skid plate and kinda scares me if i were to hit anything hard enough, i kinda wish it would have been a bit smaller so it would tuck away better, but i guess it should be good since it is out of the way.

3. Feb 3, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    If you off road, be carefull. I have seen one get knocked off, and know a few people that have had it happen to them.

4. Feb 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    I off road alot, that's my fear, i am thinking about ordering the non nipple one to replace this one, since it tucks in way out of the room and should get some protection from the cross member and plate.

5. Feb 4, 2009 at 5:40 AM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Uh oh....crawled UNDER the truck to change the filter? This may have been a wild goose hunt.

6. Feb 4, 2009 at 6:09 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Im pretty sure you can access the filter from under the engine. you just have to remove the driver side suspension components, and have REALLY long arms. :D

7. Mar 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    Fred56

Fred56 [OP] Member

Member:
    in South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma sr5 4x4
    Thanks to all who helped me answer my question regarding oil change help in my 08 Tacoma double cab. you guys are great and your recommendations were very helpful. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Fred56

Products Discussed in

To Top