1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil DP replacement / upgrade -- Quesiton?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by H2Otx, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Aug 3, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    H2Otx

H2Otx [OP] The Tinkerer

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 DC 4x2 SR5 TRD Off-Road
    SilverStar Ultra Headlights; Nokya Ion Yellow Fogs; SuperBright LED Bulbs; 8" Shorty Antenna; WeatherTech Mats / Bug Shield / Vent Visors; TRD CAI with aFe Pro Dry S Filter; aFe Pre-Filter; Custom CAI Cover and Fuse Box Cover; TRD AT Shift Knob (Japan); TRD Oil Filler Cap (Japan); n-Fab Step Rails; Monster Hook
    I have searched this forum and can't find specifically the thread size of the oil drain plug for a 2010 Tacoma.

For 1st gen I have read 14mm x ?
    For 2nd gen I have read 12mm x 1.25

----------------------------------
    My intensions are to upgrade to a quick drain. Before you nock about this and that, I am not intending to go with the cheap Fumoto valves.

Coming from running a Subaru I have used and own the Eaton-Aeroquip quick drain system.
    -FBM3132 (M20 x 1.5 thread)
    -FBM3117 (drain adapter)
    -FBM3118 (quick drain cap)

The only part I need to get is the DP size for my Tacoma, because I can reuse the adapter and cap on the new piece.

This system is far superior to the Fumoto due to the fact that the valve system is internal on the DP piece, meaning nothing protruding out to get broken off. The cap keeps dirt and gryme out of the plug valve.

Link to Aeroquip parts:
    http://www.aeroquip.cc/aeroquipquick-drainoilpancouplings.aspx

2. Aug 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    All Tacomas are 12mm X 1.25

3. Aug 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    Your comments seem broad and unfounded. A short search of the internet reveals many Subaru fanboys singing their praise for the Fumoto valve. Heck, the following thread even has a guy that had his Fumoto valve fail (according to some seemingly shady mechanics) and was going to purchase another one without a second thought.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/technical-discussion-oil-drain-valves-67329/

If you read the full thread, many of the Subaru guys swear by it. But there will always be people that say one thing or another so I'm not about to get into any pissing in the wind match with you.

As far as the "cheap Fumoto valve" I find that the construction and material choice are top notch. This is a well put together implement with a design that has YEARS of positive use in the plumbing industry for both liquids and gas.

As far as price is concerned, Aeroquip is well known in the auto industry and convey the perception of quality. The cost is more than double of the Fumoto...is this an instance of you get what you pay for? I can't attest to that as I have not had any experience with the Aeroquip piece. I will be doing some intensive research today though as I like the idea of the Aeroquip coupling not sticking out as far...

4. Aug 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    H2Otx

H2Otx [OP] The Tinkerer

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    SilverStar Ultra Headlights; Nokya Ion Yellow Fogs; SuperBright LED Bulbs; 8" Shorty Antenna; WeatherTech Mats / Bug Shield / Vent Visors; TRD CAI with aFe Pro Dry S Filter; aFe Pre-Filter; Custom CAI Cover and Fuse Box Cover; TRD AT Shift Knob (Japan); TRD Oil Filler Cap (Japan); n-Fab Step Rails; Monster Hook
    Well you kind of are getting in a pissing match given the purpose of the thread.

First off let me say that I am not affiliated with, nor do I work for Eaton. I am not promoting a product for the purpose of personal gain. I am merely trying to help my Tacoma bretherend out.

My intensions are dual purpose, find the thread size and pose an alternative to the Fumoto valve.

After speaking with the manufacturer, they presently don't produce that size. I will be in touch with their R&D to see if they can attempt the size needed because it should be as simple as changing the die and viola.

----------------------------------------------------

The Fumoto valve works and does the job it is intended to do. I am not attacking it's function. Where the Fumoto valve is lacking is the design portion, therefore my reference to cheap. And at $23 it is CHEAP & reasonable compared to the price of an Aeroquip setup.

You can toss all the links you want about Subaru guys claiming this that and the other. I have owned two Subarus and worked around them for several years and a donating member of LegacyGT.com. I have read threads upon threads full of information, to dig one up and telling me to read it all the way through will not change the fact that one has a far better design than the other.

Whether it is a car or a truck, the last thing you want is some part sticking out that can get busted from a rock poking up and mysteriously biting through your skid plate. The lower the profile the less likely it is to happen, but not 100% preventable.

Pros & Cons of BOTH

Fumoto PROs:
    - Simplistic all-in-one design
    - Price

Fumoto CONs:
    - Bulky desgin
    - Flow rate
    - No dirt protection for the valve

-----------------------------------------

Eaton-Aeroquip PROs:
    - Low profile
    - Flow rate due to valve design and opening
    - Valve protection from outside elements and dirt

Eaton-Aeroquip CONs:
    - Price is triple the cost of the Fumoto
    - Separate pieces required to perform the task

5. Aug 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    Actually I said "pissing in the wind" match meaning I wouldn't want to make blatant remarks like

which is broad and rather vague and would be the equivilant of pissing all over myself. I choose not to go any further because of your remarks like

where I was merely finding relevant information about Subaru owners and their praise of the Fumoto valve even with the concern about protruding pieces and offroad use.

And from a design standpoint, I would rather not respond to remarks like

because that would imply that I would be looking at design over function. Considering that both perform the same function, one would think simplicity would be a better design over MULTIPLE moving parts and materials which would have more of a chance of failing. What the fuck would I know though? I did spend six months volunteering with Danny Schwartz in Crystal Beach, Texas as part of an architectural design study where we built frames designed to withstand F5 tornados held together with wooden pegs instead of conventional framing which uses multiple pieces of various materials.

I digress though, my intent was truly not to start anything and as I stated in my earlier post, I am intrigued by the Aeroquip piece and am further researching the practical use.

6. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
  7. Aug 3, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    H2Otx

H2Otx [OP] The Tinkerer

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    STAY ON TOPIC!!!

----------------

I have clearly stated the purpose of MY thread. And if it gives you ideas and makes you research the parts, great! That was the intent.

I digress...

I spoke to Eaton and a distributor and I am actually able to get the male DP part manufactured to the 12mm x 1.25 thread specs. It would be a special order piece. They are sending me a quote for the cost of 1 vs. 10 - 20.

Products Discussed in

To Top