1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Fill 2TR-FE

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ecoterragaia, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Jan 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    ecoterragaia

ecoterragaia [OP] Everyone lives downstream.

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2006 RC 4X4 5 speed & 2021 4Runner SR5
    Sorry guys, I tried searching but couldn't find a definite answer. I just picked up a 2006 Tacoma (base, 4WD) with the 2.7L (2TR-FE) today with only 18000 miles. I changed the oil & filter as soon as I got home using a Toyota filter and Mobile 1 5W-30 synthetic. I filled it with the owner's manual-suggested ~<=6.1 qts. Started the engine and let it warm, shutoff, then checked the dipstick about 30 min. later and it read WAYYY too high. I drained about 3/4-1 quart of new expensive oil out and the dipstick is reading a tiny bit above the full line now.

Which is correct, the manual or the dipstick? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

BTW, this is my first post. Sorry for introducing myself with such a simple question that I'm sure has been answered a thousand times.

P.S. Also noted that the driver's side front axle had a TON of play but not leaking fluid (a few millimeters up and down but no groaning or grinding sounds while driving at any speed). Been reading up on that situation, and may be why I got it for such a great deal!!! Time to buy a service manual.

2. Jan 24, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i always put in 5.5 with new filter and it works out well for me.

3. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    go by the manual 6.1 qts w/filter, and 5w-20 or 0-20

4. Aug 5, 2011 at 3:28 AM
    rrb690

rrb690 New Member

Member:
    Australia
    Vehicle:
    11 Hilux (tarcoma)
    We call the Tacoma a Hilux here in Australia and they have the same engines. I have the 2TR-FE engine and its a 2011 model. When I check the oil level on the dip stick it will read over full, turn over the dip stick and it should give you a correct reading on the other side. My owners manual states 5.6 litres of oil (4.9 qt) with the filter the engine will hold. Maybe put the exact amount your owners manual states there in the U.S and make a note of what the dip stick reads, then you will have a reference point of when its full, hope this helps.

5. Aug 5, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4

Welcome to TW... you can find an online service manual here: It's for 05's but mechanicals are pretty much the same AFAIK. And don't sweat the 'easy' question 'cause at least you avoided the usual first time oil change problem: draining ATF by mistake and overfilling the engine oil by double!

6. Aug 5, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Lots of threads on this topic but... 5.5qt w/new filter brings mine to just below the full mark which is just fine for me... a little over or a little under, doesn't matter, there's plenty in there for the next 4500 miles. IMHO it does not really matter exactly how much oil is in there, as long as it's between the low and full marks you'll be fine. Some say the discrepancy between the recommended fill (6.1qt) and the generally accepted fill quantity around TW (5.4-5.5qt) does make a difference in the cooling capacity, since oil also helps cool our engines. But half a quart is not that big a deal really. Full enough is full enough as long as it's changed regularly and as long as you're not burning or leaking oil. Anything more is just people being overly worried and some people are like that. I have other stuff to worry about.

7. Aug 5, 2011 at 2:36 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    5.5 don't listen to the manual.

8. Sep 3, 2012 at 5:21 AM
    window

window Active Member

Member:
    NW Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma, 4Cyl,4WD
    I just get a 5 qt jug and a 1 qt bottle and call it good. I can't measure .1 qts. Is that a splash? A drizzle?

Products Discussed in

To Top