1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil filter help??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cleveland48, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Aug 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Is it really worth $25 to be able to skip a $35 oil change?

UOA is worth it if you are running bypass filtration and pushing 20k intervals, or if you are running an OTR Diesel truck that carries several gallons of oil.

2. Aug 9, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    You are a foolish arrogant prick. Maybe you should head your own lack of knowledge.

Sorry cowboy, but you really should read until you understand those manuals. You really have proven how much of a clown you are but in your mind believe you know something. By the sound of it, you work in a tire shop, no doubt that makes you an expert on oil, oil filters and anything lubricated.

Enjoy the rest of your life knowing you are the knowledge king. Yeah right.

PK

3. Aug 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    One of the worst. The Champion Labs "E-Core" (STP, AC Delco, Supertech) is giving Fram a run for it's money.

I do not believe that. It's not physically possible unless the filter has been subjected to dropping from a 5-story building onto concrete.

Fram is a piece of shit, but the spring will keep the element seated.

Wrong.

They are GOOD filters... but they are not the best engineered and built.
    There's nothing wrong with them, but there are equals and better filters available.

Wrong again.
    Most Toyota engines can accept the same filter, but that does not mean that it is the correct filter for that engine.

The Fram PH8A and it's cross-references will fit most Toyota engines, and it was the correct filter for the 22RE, but it is not the correct filter for modern Toyota engines.

4. Aug 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

OP ... just think how many rounds were fired and how many lives were lost ... from you just asking about a Fram oil filter ... :eek:

TW is not for weenies or the weak of heart ... :eek: ... but I love this place ... :D

PS ... I use a "good synthetic" and a Toyota OEM or TRD filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months ... driving about 1,000 miles a month or less.

5. Aug 9, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    NtacomaR

NtacomaR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nick
    sparks
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Baja
    suspension, wheels, rims, trd exhuast, CAI
    FRAMMMMMMM????? noooooooooooooooo. horrrrrorrrrrrr...... go mobil1 or royal purp.

6. Aug 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Fixed that for you... but honestly, the Pure-One is as good as M1 at half the price... and Toyota OEM is as good as Purolator at half THAT price.

Titus-Will... I just bought TWENTY filters for $88 shipped.

Royal Purple? I'm not sure who is making their oil filters, but their oil is crap.
    In my motorcycle, it didn't hold up as well as Castrol GTX!

http://personal.linkline.com/rlockyer/oil/oil.xls

7. Aug 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Not trying to start an argument with you but one $25 UOA would be to skip multiple changes, so yes it would be worth it if skipping oil changes was what I am after. The reason I would get a UOA is because although the engine might be considered the same, no two engines wear the same. Throw in different driving styles and conditions and that makes for multiple variables. I like knowing, especially when it involves a more expensive vehicle. I dont do UOA on my track bike because I'm not expecting to get the max mileage out of that motor (which is pretty much stock).

8. Aug 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Sounds all good in theory and all ... but there is something to be said for ... f r e s h . l u b r i c a n t s ... in the belly of the beast ... :D

And when it comes to my real baby (the Taco) ... we just water down the baby formula for our triplets ... and that pays for the extra oil changes in the Taco ... :D

9. Aug 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA

Ya'll are kidding on this right? If that's the case I should have had about 8 or 9 engines blown in my lifetime. Currently I am using a case of the Toyota filters on my Tacoma, but it wouldn't surprise if they were made at the same factory as Frams.

10. Aug 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    doesnt matter where its made. Chris did an excellent demo of the quality diff between the 2. As long as its good quality who cares plus everyone has been using those filters for years and never any issues. i mean a child would also be able to tell the diff between the quality based on the demo. Seeing is believing unless you have some facts to prove that toyota filter is as bad as fram.

11. Aug 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Actually no, the Toyota filters are made at a Denso factory in Thailand. Denso doesn't make filters for Fram.

Denso and Toyota are tied at the hip from a corporate structure point of view.

12. Aug 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    Mark me down as a skeptic that there is much significant funtional difference in the various brands of oil filters.

I am sure the idea has sold tons of filters for the Toyota dealers that they previously wouldn't have sold to DYI'ers.

The age of internet sales helped that along as well. Heck I even bought them for two vehicles myself, due to the internet price and to hedge against any trumped up "warranty issues" with the local dealer.

But I have been changing oil a long time on my vehicles and never once experienced any kind of problem with any brand.

13. Aug 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I have the exact same problem with mine. Can get quite annoying.

14. Aug 10, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    I use the tall OE filter off a Lexus V-8, but my air is cleaned by Wix. They make some good shit.

Everyone has the same exact issue.

Same reason they are giving away "free" oil changes and charging $5,000 more for their trucks then they did 5 years ago. The masses are stupid and lazy. When I tell my friends who don;t 4x4 that I'm draining my diff or changing my spark plugs they look at me like I'm crazy. In my world they are the crazy ones. it takes more time to drive to the dealer and back then DIY my own oil not to mention the amoutn of time it takes the kids at the dealership to 'change my oil'.

Similar reasons as to why Americans get pussy 3 leaf - leaf packs on the Tacoma.

I know a mod that ran his on Mobil1 for 28k then sent it to get it analyzed. Blackstone said something like "we applaud your enthusiasm, but try to keep ti to 25k" or something like that.

So you never even read the link then come in here saying if it were true your engines would of blown up :crazy:

Read the link. Look at the comparisons. Then comment. Disregarding the facts then making a retarded comment doesn't sway anyone to your side ofthe argument.

15. Aug 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    so in other words you are saying that a fram or stp filter for under 5 bucks will do the same job as mobile 1, or k&n would do at almost over 10 bucks ? That the quality of the filter and the valves inside has nothing to do with anythign :confused:

16. Aug 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    oldstick

oldstick Medicare Member

Member:
    GA
    I think most understand exactly what I am saying. You are not going to hurt your vehicle using most any of the big name brands. Assuming proper change schedules.

Just an opinion anyway, based on my experience. If it makes any of the marketing folks feel better, I don't filter the water or pay for bottles at my house either. No need where I live. :D:D

17. Aug 10, 2012 at 2:34 PM
    eshoremd

eshoremd Member

Member:
    pasadena, md
    Vehicle:
    12 ac trd sport 4x4 black
    does anyone use the toyota oil that comes in the trucks. i believe its 0w20???? isnt it synthetic?

18. Aug 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I do not understand it.

Here a good one for you since you like comparisons that have nothing to do with oil.

A room is full of asbestos dust do you want the air filter on your mask that just passes the standards or is above average?

I personally beat my truck more then the average Joe while changing my oil anywhere from 5-8k. For me having a good filter and above average oil is warranted. Dust is also a major factor in oil changes, the filter required, and oil used.

19. Aug 10, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    I just grabbed 2 oil filters from the dealer for $10.50. Not bad and at least I know Toyota trusts them.

20. Aug 10, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Not if you have the V6, it uses 5w30. I don't think it comes with synthetic either from the factory.

Products Discussed in

To Top