1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Leak Up Top

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gordon Leverich, May 2, 2013.

1. May 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    Gordon Leverich

Gordon Leverich [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    Hi,
    Does anyone have experience with oil leaking around the coil packs on a 2006 2.7L 4 cylinder engine? I have 40K miles. It seems PCV related. It gets worse with a new PCV valve installed. The PCV intake hose path is clear when I blow into the crankcase, and the PCV vacuum is strong when I take it off of the PCV valve. Right now I am running a drilled out PCV valve with a hose venting the crankcase to the outside, with the PCV Vacuum line plugged. This gives me the minimum oil leak. When I open the oil filler cap while the engine is running, there is lots of air coming out there. My other car (Buick V6) has no air coming out when I do this test. I don't think my Tacoma air out the filler is normal but it runs great, especially with the PCV vacuum line plugged. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks all. Gordon

2. May 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    oil where it shouldn't be, oil cap off, feel small wind ? head gasket has blown

3. May 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    You should not be able to blow through the PVC into the "crankcase" valve cover. The PCV acts as a metering valve and check valve. The check should allow flow from the valve cover to the intake and prevent flow from the intake into the valve cover. It seems that you have the PCV backwards. The PCV being installed backwards or plugged will cause this excess pressure which will blow oil past the gaskets and seals.

4. May 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    Gordon Leverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    Sorry I was not clear - when I said the PCV intake was clear to the crankcase, I meant with the PCV valve removed. When I blow into the hose (disconnected) from the air cleaner to the valve cover I get air out the PCV valve opening with the PCV valve removed. It appears that the PCV system is working properly but that I have too much pressure underneath the valve cover.
    Thanks.
    Gordon

5. May 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Well that can't be good. If you truly have excessive blow by as evidenced by the windstorm coming out of the oil fill cap opening the rings could be shot. Have a compression test done.

As for the oil leak itself, it is pretty normal to get a slight bit up around the spark plugs, but it shouldn't be very much. Post a picture so we can see what we are discussing. You may just need a new valve cover seal set and gasket.

6. Jul 6, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    Gordon Leverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    Hi guys,
    Having replaced the leaking water pump, I am back to the oil leak problem. Have been unable to log in so I don't know if there are any new posts to my original question. JimmyH - are you referring to the long 4-hole seal that is under the valve cover? It seems odd that it would go out on all 4 seals at once. Does anyone have a 2.7L 4 cylinder they would like to run with the oil filler cap off to see how much air blows out of it? My truck blows so much air I think it has to be the cause of the oil leaking around the coil pack seals, as opposed to the seals themselves. If you do run your engine with the cap off be careful of spraying oil, at least mine does.
    Thanks.
    Gordon Leverich

7. Jul 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I'll check mine in a bit and get beck with you. Yes these arre the seals I am referring to.

Edit:

I just went out and started it up, removed the oil fill cap and checked and there is blow-by. Nothing to the amount I would be alarmed about however. Pretty normal IMO. I did not rev it up, but I imagine that if I did there would be some oil that would get blown out. That is on my 2012 with 7,600 miles on the clock.

That being said have a reputable shop do a compression check on all four cylinders and that will tell the true tale of what is going on. If the compression check is good, I would replace the valve cover seals and gaskets and call it good!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  8. Jul 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    Gordon Leverich

Member:
    First Name:
    Gordon
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7L
    Thanks Jimmy. I do a compression check next weekend and see how she reads.
    Gordon

Products Discussed in

To Top