1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

oil pan leak

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Steiny17, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Apr 4, 2012 at 3:03 PM
    Steiny17

Steiny17 [OP] Member

Member:
    Kailua
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport 4x4 6MT
    my oil pan is leaking on the rear side... i wiped it down, came back in a few days and itwas back, sent pictures to a friend whos a mechanic and he said to change the gasket with rtv after we ruled out a leaking timing chain cover(no evidence of oil from that area)...just wondering if theres any tricks/tips when doing this procedure...i read that you have to drop the front diff to get the oil pan out but it seemed to be geared to the 1st gen tacomas...when i look at the pan it looks like i should be able to get it out without doing anything drastic...just looking for some advice before im waste deep and realize i cant finish the job

2. Apr 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Try tightening the bolts?

EDIT: Do not overtighten...

3. Apr 4, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Steiny17

Steiny17 [OP] Member

Member:
    Kailua
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport 4x4 6MT
    sorry i forgot to mention i did that as well

4. Apr 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Anchorage Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '18 T4R & '06 F250
    6" lift 40s
    Just a thought, sorry don't have any other advice... :eek:

5. Apr 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    If yours is second gen, it is easy. After all of the bolts are out, there are two studs left, to help line things up. It can be a tad tricky to re-install it when the rtv is on, so it that is the case, just remove one of the studs.

Two smooth flat tip screw drivers will be necessary to remove it, as the factory silicone gasket makes the lower black oil pan stick to the upper oil pan very tight. Alternate prying back and forth and it will come free. Just be careful, as the upper oil pan matting surface is a machined surface.

Clean the old silicone as best as possible from the lower and upper matting surfaces.

Remove all silicone from the tips of every bolt, as there will be silicone on them. If you do not, you can cause severe problems! Trust me!

Re-apply a bead to the inside of all the holes, on the lower pan.

Let cure. Then you should be good to go.

6. Apr 4, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    mistergasser

mistergasser Active Member

Member:
    nj
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab
    shorty antenna, power windows and locks
    My 2010 had a pan leak and was fixed under warranty by the dealer...they noticed it when they did the free oil change service. The rep said they noticed a few 2nd gens leaking.

Products Discussed in

To Top