1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil plug gasket from dealer

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by J Diggin, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Oct 27, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    J Diggin

J Diggin [OP] Hey Buddy ...

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    Weathertech Floorliner DigitalFit, Transmission TSB, Rear Leaf TSB, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Rear Differential Breather Mod, Center Console Lock Mod, Trimmed Front Mud Flaps, Locking Gas Cap
    While my oil drains, I want to run something by you guys. This is my first oil change doing myself, second for the truck and I want to get this right. I bought a couple of filters from the dealer and they came with what I assumed was the oil plug gasket.

After pulling the plug, it looks to me there is already a gasket (aluminum?) already on the plug thats seems to be fused to the plug. Or...is this just part of plug? I felt around in my oil drain pan to feel for a plug that may have slipped in to the pan.

First pic shows gasket plug from dealer separate. Second shows it on the plug.

Thanks!

PA272996.jpg
    PA272998.jpg

2. Oct 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Look like you just need a screwdriver to get the original crush washer off....mine was actually stuck to the oil pan so much that I had to chisel it off.

3. Oct 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    J Diggin

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    Weathertech Floorliner DigitalFit, Transmission TSB, Rear Leaf TSB, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Rear Differential Breather Mod, Center Console Lock Mod, Trimmed Front Mud Flaps, Locking Gas Cap
    Ok, if that's the case, the gasket from the dealer appears to have a completely different makeup. It's black hard plastic and the one stuck on my plug now looks to be made of metal.

4. Oct 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM
    J Diggin

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    I pryed if off with a screwdriver. I'm going to replace with the black hard plastic one from the dealer and fill her up with some Mobil 1 synthetic. Thanks!

5. Oct 27, 2010 at 5:17 PM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
  6. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    J Diggin

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    Yes, you're right. After getting it off, I can see that it is a fiber-like material.

7. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:31 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    40k miles never changed mine lol doesnt leak so why mess with it :eek:

8. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

All of the OEM Toyota washers (that I have used on the Tacoma) were aluminum in center with a hard rubber like coating on each side.

Sometimes the washers (oil drain plug) stuck on the oil pan and sometimes on the bolt and can be reused.

With all that said, I put a fresh washer on with each oil change <--- because I am OCD on lubricants & vehicle maintenance in general. :)

9. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    J Diggin

Member:
    Northern Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road
    I was planning on using the same one that was on there. I was kinda surprised to find one in my oil filter box when I got home. Especially after so many on here have spoke of having to buy them.

I figure if the dealer gives me a free one with each oil filter then I might as well put them to use. $4.50 for both Toyota filter and gasket - I'll take that.

10. Oct 27, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^i get them for next to nothing from the dealer, so imo no point in not doing it.

Products Discussed in

To Top