1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OK...it's time to change my timing belt and I want to do my shocks too...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by redrckhiker, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Nov 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    redrckhiker

redrckhiker [OP] Member

Member:
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Double Cab 4WD
    OK...a few things things:

It's time to do my timing belt...I have a Haynes manual and am very mechanically inclined...can I really do this myself?

If I can't, I live in Vegas (Henderson) and want to find someone reputable to replace my belt and water pump...Does anyone live here and if so could you recommend someone good?

Lastly, I want to change the Bilstein shocks out...the ride is good on-road, not so much off road...

I would appreciate any advice anyone might offer...thanks!

2. Nov 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    well what is the hardest thing you've done on a vehicle? The timing belt isn't really hard but its also not easy, there are a lot of parts to keep organized. Also you're doing the water pump/thermostat as well right?

also look into billstein 5100's

3. Nov 29, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    jvallin

jvallin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joey
    turlock CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Dcab SR5 4x4
    K&N intake, Magnaflow, HID conversion, 265/75/16 MT, PIAA driving lights, Optima red top, billstein 5100's @ 2.5 and pro comp 2" AAL.
    I did my timing belt in two afternoons. wasn't that bad and there was alot of stuff that the repair manual said you have to remove that you really don't. just take your time and keep all your stuff organized as you pull it out. I would also recommended replacing your water pump whether it is leaking or not. The Tacomas have an extended service interval timing belt that only needs top be changed every 90,000 miles so if you don't do it that will be almost 200,000 miles on the water pump. Also make sure you get a genuine Toyota timing belt as they are supposed to have a Kevlar band in them, if you buy a cheepy at auto zone it probably wont have this in it. Once you have the old timing belt off make sure you do not spin either of your camshafts as this will result in severe damage to the engine once resembled, however be sure to check your cam seals for any leaking and your idler pulleys for any sloppiness and replace as needed. As I said just take your time and you should be fine.:smash:

4. Nov 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    good info but the bolded section is not true. the 5vz is non interference so the valves won't hit the pistons, it just wont run right due to the timing being off.

5. Nov 29, 2010 at 10:22 PM
    jvallin

jvallin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joey
    turlock CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Dcab SR5 4x4
    K&N intake, Magnaflow, HID conversion, 265/75/16 MT, PIAA driving lights, Optima red top, billstein 5100's @ 2.5 and pro comp 2" AAL.
    Ok good to know. I could never get a straight answer on the whole interferance valve thing. I was just under the assumption that all jap engines had those damn things. Thanks again.:)

To Top