1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ok Love my Taco except I'm about to drive it off a cliff because of this...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by atalladega, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Apr 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    atalladega

atalladega [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 double cab, 4x4 TRD off-road
    Ok, I'll check the metal plate and retaining clips and the LCA retaining bolts.
    Haven't done those as of yet. I think I'm going to try to also do the sway bar today/tonight if I have time. Got church, county fair and a Wrath of the Titans movie on my plate for the day with the family. Doesn't sound like a lot of "me" time for wrenching today. But we'll see, wish me luck.

Ry

2. Apr 1, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Something is loose. First off, who installed your lift? If you did it, check every nut and bolt you touched for proper torque. It sounds like it is coming from your front end, and you feel a vibration in your pedal area. First thing I would do is check to see that the 3 top bolts for your strut are tight, then the one in the middle is also tight. The one in the middle needs to be tightened until you cannot turn it without straining yourself. Start there. Then check Sway bar mounts bolts, Upper BJ nut, lower strut bolt, Lower BJ nuts and bolts, then control arm mounting bolts. Like I said, sounds like the installer didn't torque something all the way. It's a common mistake. I'm willing to bet, it's the strut rod nut. You should see 5 or more threads showing above the nut, before it gets really tight.

3. Apr 1, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    prerunner32

prerunner32 TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Foothill Ranch
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner TRD Sport Longbed
    285/70/17 BFG A/T's, 17in Method Double Standard Wheels, Camburg 2.5 Coilovers, Alpine Head Unit, Infinity Speakers, 10" JL Audio Sub, 2 Rockford Fosgate Amps, AFe Stage 2 Si (Oiled)
    Sometimes that could be the bushings on the shocks. Its a very familiar sound.

4. Apr 1, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    DC Taco

DC Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue TRD Sport
    None (yet), just bought it
    I agree, it sounds like a bushing somewhere, strut mount bushings maybe, since you replaced them with the toytec's

5. Apr 1, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    good luck op!! id put a bullet in my dome if i had to listen to that all day

6. Apr 1, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    I had about 45 minutes today to pull the wheel off and try tightening bolts up. Everything was up to spec except the LCA bolt towards the rear of the truck it was definitely not snug. I Tightened this up with a shorter wrench until I had no more leverage to tighten. I'm sure it was nowhere near 155ft/lbs though. Didn't have time to look for my "leverage pipe" either :mad:. I was running out of time so I threw the wheel back on and took it for a spin. And it seemed to have quieted it down a bit. Still some noise but no where the same as before. I drove it straight and applied brakes slowly, normally would get immediate chatter, but this time not so much until closer to full stop and veering to the right. I drove it on the same shoulder as yesterday and it seemed like much less noise. I'm hoping if I can get this bolt back to spec torque I'll have solved my problem. rzimm001 hopefully you were correct! For now it seems like it's looking like the culprit, I'm crossing my fingers that it is! Just need some time now to actually do it right and put some torque on that nut. Will keep you updated.

7. Apr 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    atalladega

Member:
    Citrus Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRUST ME!!! The thought has crossed my mind more than once!

:infantry::annoyed:

8. Apr 22, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    pinktaco05

pinktaco05 Active Member

Member:
    NE Nevada
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver TRD Debadged
    Kenwood DNX6980,5100's, Eibach's, All Pro Expo's, Timbren's, Toyo MT 285/75/16, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow, URD short shifter, Westin grille guard
    Any update on this?

9. Apr 23, 2012 at 12:03 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Glad I could help. I have great sympathy for those with clunks and clanks. They suck and will cause you to lose sleep thinking about what it could be.

10. Apr 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    once you torque the lca bolts, check all your ball joints. Also you can get a can of pb blaster and spray the LCA bushings, they suck, you can't grease them. Just spray where the metal meets.

11. Apr 23, 2012 at 6:04 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    This is a good example why you should invest in a torque wrench and know all of the torque values.

12. Apr 23, 2012 at 8:09 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    x2.

OP - if the torque is supposed to be 155ft/lbs... There is no way you'd hit that with a standard wrench. That is a lot of torque which you'll probably need to throw your body weight into. Sounds like its solving your problem and if it is, putting proper torque to it will help it even more.

13. Apr 23, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    BlackSeven

BlackSeven Grab your helmet, this shits about to get retarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    '10 Reg Cab 4x4
    Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, Toytec Rear AAL, 4.88 Gears, ARB Rear locker, Doug Thorley header, Volant Cold Air Intake, Demello Offroad front high clearance bumper, ARB On board Air compressor, BLHM, Wet Okoles, 2011 Color matched grill, Weathertech mats, 4x Innovations Sliders, ATO Engine Skid plate, ATO High lift bed mounts.
    I had a similar squeak and it was actually the rear overload leaves rotating in the leaf pack. It caused the front U bend on the overload leaf where the parking brake is stay is bolted to to come in contact with the rest of the leafs. It was particularly noticable in turns to the opposite side of the pack that was out of alignment. Re-aligning the overload leaf with a dead blow hammer and re-torquing the U-bolts resolved the squeak.

I did the Toytec Ultimate lift kit, but really, a similar setup to yours, AAL's in the rear. Did your kit come with the swaybar re-location bracket? That could be the problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top