1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

old amp, etc?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by grantfire319, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Apr 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM
    grantfire319

grantfire319 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KENTUCKY
    Vehicle:
    05 DOUBLE CAB TRD SPORT 4.OL
    Secondary Air Filter removal. More to come hopefully.
    I looked at the sticky's on here about speaker installation, etc. I think I'm going to have someone do mine. One question though. I have an 2 old amps: Fosgate 400, Jensen 200. Basically, I just want something that will hit good when I want it to. NO sub's, just some good speakers. I am somewhat pleased with the stock system, it hits on some songs, but doesn't on others like it should. So if I were to buy some good (not horribly expensive) speakers, to use with my amp, whatkind do you reccomend? Should I get a "stereo expert" -like a friend, Best Buy, etc install it? Thanks.

2. Apr 2, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    You should be able to afford a lot more if you install it yourself. It really isn't terribly hard. I would not take my truck to Best Buy for an install. Too many bad stories from there. I don't trust anyone's work but my own, if I can do it myself.

What is your budget? Horribly expensive is a pretty relative term.

3. Apr 3, 2009 at 12:21 AM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    +1 on stating your budget. installing aftermarket speakers is about the easiest mod you will do to your truck.

by "hit" do you mean bass? many people think all subs are just big noise makers. this couldn't be farther from the truth, especially once you start moving into higher end aftermarket speakers.

i remember when i put my infinity kappa components in my 07. i was very disappointed that the low frequency response was actually poorer than my factory setup.

most aftermarket speakers are designed to operate very well within a specified range of sound frequency. generally speaking, going below 50hz is stretching it. what they do very well are the mids and highs. a properly built/setup/tuned stereo will not have any overpowering level of sound (highs mids or lows), but will flow all together naturally.

this may sound very complicated, but honestly its not at all. it's all very straight forward, and can be done fairly inexpensively if you take your time and shop around.

really before i go any further with this, i would need to know your budget...

4. Apr 3, 2009 at 4:46 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Very well put. This man speaks the truth.:)

5. Apr 3, 2009 at 5:04 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    not knowing your mechanical ability/tool availability can have an impact on what you need to do as well. The pictures shown here are VERY easy to follow and make it easy for a novice if you simply read and follow the pics. I saw a step-by-step picture show somewhere that even shows where all the screws are hiding at. Almost caveman easy.

Speakerwise, there are a lot of good speakers out there to replace the stockers. onlinecarstereo.com is where I do a lot of my shopping. Lots of choices as you will see.

If you were closer, I'd drop them in your doors no problem.

6. Apr 3, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Do the speakers yourself. It's not hard at all. It takes about 2-5 minutes to get the door panel off (for the driver's side windows controls, I reach behind the panel to loosen the assembly by pulling back on the clip that holds it down rather than prying up from the outside). ********* sells some harness adapters if you don't want to splice wires. Just plug-n-play. You'll also want some adapters for mounting new speakers. You can get them both at *********.
    Here's a step-by-step for changing the speakers:
    http://*********.com/tacoma/installation/speakers/

Mr Marv is also a popular source for baffles.

7. Apr 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    no doubt it takes time to put in the speakers and amp but it is very easy to do, plus you save money for hookers and blow

8. Apr 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    grantfire319

Member:
    KENTUCKY
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone! Since I have the amp and stuff, I am looking to maybe spend about 200 or so on speakers. I have a friend of mine who installed my last set up for a 12 pack and a steak. He knows what hes doing. I might try it, but I can't ever seem to get the tabs and shit straight.

9. Apr 3, 2009 at 10:58 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    gonna need some specs on your amp. you wouldn't happen to know what the rms rating at 4 ohms is? can you provide a model number? you want to match your speakers to your amp as close as possible...

10. Apr 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    grantfire319

Member:
    KENTUCKY
    Vehicle:
    The amp is stored at my parents house. I'll run over there on Sunday and see what it says. Thanks for all of your alls help. BTW if I get satelite radio, does it have a female end to plug in a MP3? Which setup do yall reccomend for satelite radio? As in which player?

Products Discussed in

To Top