1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ome 885 or icon for db cab

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by D33WAN4, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Aug 2, 2012 at 6:58 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    think bout how a adjustable coilover works. to get more lift, u are adding more preload to the spring, but the shock is still the same length.

a longer coil, has to have more preload, or squished down more, when its installed, which pushes the shock out more and givin more lift.

also, thats why its harder to put ome coils on an adjustable 5100, than it is a stock coil. the ome coils are longer than the stock coil. assuming the spring perch is at the bottom is in the same position for both. and by harder to install, i mean the more u have to crank down on the spring compressor

2. Aug 2, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Based on what DevL is saying, the nitrochargers are a bit longer but the 5100's are the same as stock. You CAN put lift coils on stock shock but it will ride like crap. The stock shocks don't have the power to dampen the stiffer coils.

When you lift a truck using stock length shocks, you lose a lot of your downtravel but gain up travel. You're actually getting lift because the coils are either taller or stiffer (or both in many cases). If you have a stock truck, pay attention next time you jack it up using the front jack point. Watch how far the suspension unloads before the tires are off the ground. A lift coil won't compress as far before taking the trucks weight therefore the result is a taller ride.

3. Aug 2, 2012 at 7:13 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Yes, but you said that's what lifts were all about when the length of the shock isn't what provides the lift. Even IF the OME's are longer, it can't be by much at all.

4. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I had my old shocks in storage. Pulled the front shocks and it looks like the OME would be SHORTER collapsed and extended... so WTF is up with that? And why couldn't I get my coiliver installed without a spring compressor? It was a real bitch to use em ON on truck but I had to use em on both sides.

5. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Something seems wrong , you sure the coils are correct and the coil seat isn't upside down ?

6. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I have no clue why you couldn't get them installed. I installed my 5100's and Eibachs with little issue. The driver's side took some finagling because of the 1/4" top plate but the passenger side just slide right in. Like I said earlier, the bushings can get frozen in place and make it seem like you're at the end of the allowable travel but you just pry down on them and they'll move (depending on how old the truck is, you might have to pry pretty damn hard unless you loosen the control arm bolts. I used a 2' pry bar to pry down while my dad slide the shock in place.

7. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That shouldn't matter for install. Once the top hats are tightened down, the overall length would be the same regardless of the coil bucket orientation. It'll just cause issues with function afterwards.

8. Aug 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    True , if it was tigtened down all the way

Products Discussed in

To Top