1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME BP-51 Install Report and Height Adjustment

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by WILDPEAK, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Apr 10, 2020 at 2:18 PM
    Outdoorsy_Yota

Outdoorsy_Yota Hella-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    duhbondo JIW Local 378
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB TRD OR LOL
  2. Apr 10, 2020 at 3:28 PM
    2ayne

2ayne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zayne
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement TRD Pro
  3. Apr 10, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    roth_nj

roth_nj Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB trd off-road bbp
    Don't be afraid to push back at arb on issues... If you can even get help. Your issue seems extreme and should be delt with asap in some form on there end

I had issues with my rear after install, like 2 inches of lean on one side. It was mostly due to install but they were no help at all. After pushing back on them they were willing to swap out leafs but I ended up fixing it after watching countless hours of YouTube videos. But even after all that, it was over like 2 weeks of randomly returned emails, I couldn't get anyone on the phone ever during that stretch

blitzkrieg3002 likes this.
  4. Apr 10, 2020 at 6:30 PM
    TACOCAT Reversed

TACOCAT Reversed Yum Yum Yum Yum Yum!!! - Cookie Monster

Member:
    NCentral Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD OR
    Roll'N'Lock SEMA TRD Pro Rims General Grabber AT2 OME BP-51 Suspension Heavy Duty Dakar Leaf SPC UCA's CBI Fab Bolt on Sliders SSO slimline hybrid bumper Smittybuilt X20 Synthetic Winch Factor 55 Prolink 30" Baja Designs S8 Baja Designs SAE Fogs TRD Pro Grille Front and Rear Anytime Camera Expedition Essentials TPAM Meso Puddle lights Meso Ultimate Red LED dome Meso RED map lights Rear differential breather mod AC drain mod Oodles O Dynamat
    I hope it settles down for you too. Panama City is great, has some nice beaches. If you have a chance to drive down to state road 30A its a pretty drive, but with lots of traffic that time of year, depending on the Virus conditions. Grayton Beach state park is amazing on that route, and if you can hit it right, might even have an open campsite. I can get you some nice off roading maps if you'd like for the area around Eglin AFB, that are pretty fun, and there is tons of abandoned military equipment out there just sitting off random trails. If you are going from Panama City to see your friend in St. Pete, let me know and i'll meet you up for that beer. It's somewhat over 5 hours driving from one to the other, and we are a little over 2/3rds of the way.
    Got everything buttoned up today. Alignment needed BADLY. SPC arms set to 'Neutral' but I think that Toe appears to be way off. Will do some measuring tomorrow, shop is not open until Monday...:( No good test drives until then.

5. Apr 10, 2020 at 10:31 PM
    Outdoorsy_Yota

Outdoorsy_Yota Hella-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    duhbondo JIW Local 378
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB TRD OR LOL

Coilover on a vice, thing turned easy... got lucky I guess

6. Apr 11, 2020 at 12:47 PM
    WreckedRooster

WreckedRooster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM DCSB
    probably won’t make it to Saint Pete unfortunately. This is a family trip with my wife’s family (sister and parents). They aren’t into camping like we are. Will be a lot of drinking beer, eating seafood and chilling on the beach trying to keep our kids alive somewhere along the way. Hope to do some fishing this time around.

7. Apr 14, 2020 at 9:29 AM
    DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma 4x4 Sport 6MT access cab
    I picked up a barely used set of BP-51s with HD leafs, been doing a bunch of reading and would like to just confirm my set up. No idea what to set comp/rebound but I was recommended the shop that's doing the install by a local overland shop, so hopefully they know. Or I'll leave it as-is.

2020 access cab:
    - Full aluminum skids
    - Full size spare in stock location (~33")
    - Sliders
    - upTop roof rack with hi-lift, recovery gear in cases, etc (probably about 100 pounds with the jack?)
    - Softopper

So I don't have a ton of weight, and I wouldn't say any real added weight in the rear. I'm planning on having them remove the 3rd leaf from the HD pack, and set the front pre-load to 10mm? I'd like to level the truck, so if the leafs add 2.75" I'd like the front to be about 3".

Thanks for the help.

8. Apr 14, 2020 at 12:36 PM
    TACOCAT Reversed

Member:
    NCentral Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD OR
    Roll'N'Lock SEMA TRD Pro Rims General Grabber AT2 OME BP-51 Suspension Heavy Duty Dakar Leaf SPC UCA's CBI Fab Bolt on Sliders SSO slimline hybrid bumper Smittybuilt X20 Synthetic Winch Factor 55 Prolink 30" Baja Designs S8 Baja Designs SAE Fogs TRD Pro Grille Front and Rear Anytime Camera Expedition Essentials TPAM Meso Puddle lights Meso Ultimate Red LED dome Meso RED map lights Rear differential breather mod AC drain mod Oodles O Dynamat
    I set mine at 20 drivers, 18 passenger, and removed the middle leaf from my heavy Dakars. I have CBI sliders (steel) and SSO low profile hybrid bumper with winch for an addition of about 100lbs up front. Roll-n-lock in the bed adds 100lbs but middle of the truck really. I have still got about an inch of rake but have not had much time for the back to settle. I'd probably expect that you'd need closer to 15mm with no weight to get to three inches of lift. As far as I can tell, BP-51s add height by not sagging as much with more preload on the springs, so extending with less weight might end up with just a harsher ride. I'll post pics as soon as my truck hits the dirt and is in a worthy picture spot. How do you like your uptop? Did you get the wider of their two offerings?

9. Apr 14, 2020 at 12:48 PM
    DeusExMachina

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Hmm okay. I'll see what it's currently set to, the previous owner didn't have bumpers but had Decked and a bed rack, thus the HD leafs. I don't want a harsher ride but I'd like my approach angle to be a little bit nicer.

They only have an Alpha (the side plates one) for access cabs right now. But I love it. Drilling holes in the roof sucked, but since the ACs didn't come with factory rivnuts there's nothing I could do about that.

hwlG0Xg_Sdefs89eaOzMR2AcWXWgs0gCYHoDS_ZG_e15c6882c5c4f934289b458e8fc41b78ce71248a.jpg

10. Apr 14, 2020 at 5:43 PM
    blitzkrieg3002

blitzkrieg3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5.29’s
    BP51 Complete Kit, Medium Duty Dakar Pack, Firestone ride rite airbags w/Daystar Cradles, 2015 Four Wheel Camper Swift Shell Custom build, 5.29 Gears, Valley Runner Tune, Harrop E Lockers Front & Rear, SCS F5 Wheels 16x8 3.5bs, Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/75/16, Cali Raised 0 Deg Sliders, BHLM, DD SS3 Yellow Pro Fogs, Debadged/Stickers Removed, Paint to match Bumper caps, Start-X Remote Start, N2 Designs Smart Phone module, Pop N Lock Tailgate lock, Taco Garage TRD PRO grille, Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Rockblokz XL Mud Flaps.
    I appreciate that insight. I really don't feel comfortable taking her off road and fully flexing it out only to have the coil come in contact and cause issues. I can see where under different flex how this could happen with just .012" of clearance especially if their is something wrong with my coil. Everyone that's seen it in person, Father, Brothers, Father in law all agree it does not look right for sure. for a kit this expensive, I wouldn't think it would have this type of an issue. I reached back out to ARB, we'll see what happens.

11. Apr 14, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    WreckedRooster

WreckedRooster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM DCSB
    you could always run it and “try to break it” and have them repair under warranty.

12. Apr 14, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    blitzkrieg3002

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    BP51 Complete Kit, Medium Duty Dakar Pack, Firestone ride rite airbags w/Daystar Cradles, 2015 Four Wheel Camper Swift Shell Custom build, 5.29 Gears, Valley Runner Tune, Harrop E Lockers Front & Rear, SCS F5 Wheels 16x8 3.5bs, Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx 285/75/16, Cali Raised 0 Deg Sliders, BHLM, DD SS3 Yellow Pro Fogs, Debadged/Stickers Removed, Paint to match Bumper caps, Start-X Remote Start, N2 Designs Smart Phone module, Pop N Lock Tailgate lock, Taco Garage TRD PRO grille, Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller, Rockblokz XL Mud Flaps.
    It almost seems like that’s the way they are leaning on the issue so far. I just figured stumbling onto an issue and correcting it before it gets worse would be the right way to go about it but we’ll see what they end up doing.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about arb customer service which was a big reason I decided on them over fox or kings. I’m trying not to be picky or bring up a small issue but when I pay top dollar for a product Im gonna have high expectations. so I’m hoping they come around on it. We’ll see.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  13. Apr 15, 2020 at 11:14 AM
    TACOCAT Reversed

Member:
    NCentral Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD OR
    I'm fortunate with the rivnuts. I'm working (at a glacial pace) to get my own rack fabbed up. I like the up top the most of the available ones however. I didn't know that about the AC's. Bummer. Your rig is looking good. The first time I've seen on in that color and been like, "damn that looks nice..." Good luck with the setup. We've had a rainy week so far with more in the forecast so minimal time for me to mess with the adjustments. FWIW I have so much more weight over the front, that I have it set to comp/reb different front to back. Front is set to comp-5, reb-8 and back is set to comp-2, reb-5.

14. Apr 15, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    DeusExMachina

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! It's actually a wrap, Avery Smoky Blue. Cement was my first choice but I took what I could get, 6MT ACs are pretty rare.

15. Apr 15, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    TACOCAT Reversed

Member:
    NCentral Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD OR
    Beautiful! I went cement, had to wait ages for it. Still love it but quicksand is my other fave.

16. Apr 15, 2020 at 1:47 PM
    blitzkrieg3002

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    Just wanted to give an update on my situation, looks like ARB is going to send me out a replacement Drivers front coilover and call tag to ship the old unit back. Very pleased with this customer service and glad they heard my concerns and are honoring the warranty.

on a side note. I think I’ll take this opportunity to adjust my preload up to 10mm with my 1/4” spacers. I just re checked tonight and after settling for about 3k miles I’ve netted 2” up front at 5mm and 1/4” spacer and 3~3.25” in the rear MD Dakar pack.

running 80lb sliders, 39~40lb tonneau cover, and about 60-80lbs of gear in the bed.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    DeusExMachina and calebc like this.
  17. Apr 17, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    DeusExMachina

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    And they're on! I should've done before/after measurements like OP, but I'm not seeing much height increase in the front at 10mm pre-load. No real weight-adders up front besides a light bar and Switch Pro. But I only drove it home from the shop, not sure if that makes a difference? I'll want to put it through the paces soon enough.

I forgot to ask, I still have my front sway bar on. That should probably go, right?

Regardless, it handles amazingly well. Way better ride than stock.

18. Apr 18, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    TACOCAT Reversed

Member:
    NCentral Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement TRD OR
    I pulled my sway bar off before buttoning it all up. I had to remove the two stock bolts that hold on the external resi, to be able to get the clearance. Pulled the brackets, left the screws that hang down with the lock nuts on them to allow me to put the bar on in the future (so they wouldn't go missing if I add it back on) and remounted after bar was out. A second person to help guide it out would be helpful, as it is not overly heavy, but bent in such a way that makes it tough to navigate out. The truck certainly sways more than it did before on the front end, but not more than my old jeep did. I do feel that it's made a definite difference in the feel of the front corners reacting to bumps much more independently.

19. Apr 18, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    blitzkrieg3002

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    California
    Vehicle:
    curious what your measurement is from middle of center hub to fender flare up front if u get a chance to check it out on a fairly flat spot as I may go with 10mm next.

20. Apr 18, 2020 at 7:53 PM
    DeusExMachina

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    I don't have before measurements like I said, and this is on 265/70R17s, fronts are 21.5" and rears are 24". I'm hoping it will settle and the rear will relax and the front will come up a bunch. I don't feel comfortable adding more preload since I don't have any significant weight up front yet.

I'll have to get a buddy and do it. I just put an ARB recovery point on, which will make it a little more challenging to get off but hopefully not impossible. Do you know what measurements you have, with what preload?

81malibu81 likes this.
To Top