1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ome coils

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rab89, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Nov 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM
    rab89

rab89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    im confused, you should edit that post and make it more understandable :p

2. Nov 3, 2010 at 12:15 AM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Which one? The lift numbers in the link above are low by about 1/2". If that's what you mean. However, that is before the springs have settled. So, the actual amount of error is likely less then that.

3. Dec 25, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Toyota Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    Ok so i just ordered some new 882 springs for my 2000 4x4 trd, iv got a steel bumper on the front so I went with the heavier spring, do you think I made the right choice?

4. Dec 25, 2010 at 7:27 PM
    rab89

rab89 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but I think they are a good coil. very popular on ttora.

5. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    I started installing my 881's today. I got a late start, and smashed one of the fingers on my left hand doing it. My hand isn't to bad, and I really have to drive my truck on Tuesday. So, I'll be working on the passenger side tomorrow any way. I'll let you know how it rides.

6. Dec 28, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Suspension: -Bilistien 5100's all around -Add a leaf -Firestone ride rite air bags Performance: -K&N cold air -Borla cat back Stereo: -Pioneer AVH-X2500BT head unit -Kenwood 1400 shallow mount 12'' sub in custom box -Alpine 1100 amp -Alpine 400 4 channel -4 energy component 6.5's Wheels/tires: -17x9 with 4.5 backspacing XD hoss rims with 33'' bfTreadwright gaurd dogs and spidertrax spacers Looks: -Satoshi grille made by myself -Hood, front bumper, grille, roof, tailgate and rear bumper plasti-dipped. -BHLM -eyelids -matted out tailights -Tacoma bed mat Small mods : -Trailer 7 pin replaced and moved into bumper beside licence plate -Removed mud flaps -Repainted frame/lower a-arms, skid and rear diff/housing with por15 -Led bulbs -Interior lights replaced with blue led's -Beep on lock added
    whats the verdict? how do they ride?

7. Dec 29, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ah, thank you. I couldn't find this thread. :) Definitely stiffer then stock. I think the ride's fine. Most of the time you can't really tell, just when going over speed bumps etc... One of the things that felt a little off to me was that the rear of my truck was stiffer then the front. Now It's fairly close to even. All in all, I'm very happy. I don't hit my bump stops going over the curb to my driveway at full lock anymore. The pull in at my house isn't sloped. You actually drive over the curb and sidewalk to get to the parking pad. It's the same for everybody on the whole street.

Ride height as follows:
    Front passenger: 37 1/2"
    Front driver: 37 3/4"

Measured up through the center of the wheel, stopping at the bottom of the fender flare. 31x10.5 tires at 40psi. My billies are set to 0 and I replaced the bushings for the shock top nut when I did my install. These are the 881 coils.

8. Jan 4, 2011 at 11:50 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    Alright awesome, Thanks for the writeup! i bought some 882's a few weeks ago and now im just waiting for my billys to get here, iv got a 6 inch spacer already so i should be around 8 with the new springs. Im worried my truck will be too high in the front, im thinking around 2.5" higher. If it is i guess ill just bite the bullet and get some new leafs to balance things out. Once its all done ill do a write up and tell ya guys how it rides at 8"

9. Jan 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    ^Fail.

I'm more confused now. Wheelers doesn't even have 883's listed for sale for first gens. My 881's gave me ~1'' of lift after settling (500 miles, two months). Initially they were like 2.2". Thinking I should have gone with 882's. I have a brush guard on front, its not that heavy. The text next to the 882's on wheelers site scared me away from them saying ONLY for heavy winch bumper applications.

10. Jan 8, 2011 at 1:01 AM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Huh. That's less of a lift then I would have expected. The best data I could dig up for the 881's said they should settle to about 1 1/2 or slightly more lift.

How much did the springs soften over time? How long have you been running them?

883 coils aren't for first gens, some people use them anyway. They do fit in the stock position.

EDIT: The billstein 5100 shocks for a tundra will also fit on a first gen tacoma. They have 5 snap ring positions instead of 3 on the 5100's for our trucks.

11. Jan 8, 2011 at 7:16 PM
    Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    Kelowna, bc
    Vehicle:
    dbl cab long box
    how is that a fail... i have gone to a professional suspension shop and the owner has told me this is one of the best options seeing as 882's will give me around 3'' more lift which is what i want.. he also has built one of the nicest 1st gens in the city

12. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:40 AM
    391FJ

391FJ Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 Taco DC 07 FJ
    I always heard 882's were also recommended for Double cabs besides having a winch/ bumper. My son's '02 DC has 882's and the ride is great.

13. Feb 15, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    I believe rab89 talked to an ome spokesperson about the 883s and iirc they were made for 1st gen double cabs...check the sig they work perfectly

14. Feb 23, 2011 at 1:36 AM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Here are the bushings I bought.

Products Discussed in

To Top