1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME equipped truck rides like a covered wagon... HALP!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by memario1214, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Jun 11, 2017 at 5:10 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 [OP] Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Thanks everyone for any insight that you can instill below. Suspension is easily the department I know the least about. @SconnieHailer lives too far away from me to learn anything decent about suspension :D

I currently am running OME sport shocks front/rear, 885x coils, and a Dakar leaf pack out back. Truck currently has no armor or weight adders on it (other than that there supercharger :cool:). To put it bluntly the truck rides like a tank. If I am at some decent speed on rough roads it get a little more compliant, but on pavement and large bumps it is incredibly unforgiving, jarring even. All said I am looking to change it up, and possibly looking to upgrade. My usage of this truck now is a daily driver pavement pounder with forest roads every couple of weeks and a few mile potholed dirt road to work every day.

I have been looking to upgrade to possibly an extended remote resi front setup with compression adjusters and an extended rear shock also with a compression adjuster. I have NO IDEA what to do in terms of a leaf pack. I do know that I have not been towing with this truck nearly as much as I thought I would be, so focus is going to be more on performance/comfort while still supporting a 3" lift (while unloaded) over a pack that is made to carry a bunch of weight. Needs could change in time and I might regret it, but that is where I am at right now.

Another consideration is that I live in Wyoming currently. I have reason to believe that I will be Dallas bound within the year, but nothing is set in stone there. I am not in the salt belt per se, but what I am concerned about is an unsealed shock such as the King/Fox/etc of the world getting complete mangled by the winter conditions up here. Any thoughts on this? I was leaning towards the OME BP-51 due to this, but I am concerned about not even noticing the performance difference over what I have.

Let's start this conversation here. LEARN ME SOMETHING AND HELP A BROTHER OUT!

kperatt09 and SconnieHailer like this.
  2. Jun 11, 2017 at 5:35 AM
    fwd_josh

fwd_josh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB
    Did you get the softer valved shocks up front? I believe the part number for them is 900021. When i put my OME lift on, @HeadStrong Off-Road Strongly recommended them. I don't feel like my 05 rides like a tank, but that's subjective.

HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.
  3. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:08 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    I don't believe that they were available when I bought my setup 5 years ago...

4. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:20 AM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    Those sport valved shocks are awful. Switch those out and you will be enjoying the ride again.

5. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:23 AM
    TheCookieMonster

TheCookieMonster cookies!!!!!!!!!!!

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    1995 Hi Lux 22re 4x4 5speed
    Michelin MS2 K&N drop in filter
    the stock Sport suspension that came with the truck would have been the best option for the type of driving that you are doing. putting on heavy spring rate coils and leafs will turn a mid size truck into a buck board wagon, but it will look cool.

6. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:38 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    885s are hardly heavy spring rate coils. OEM is 530 lbs. Those OME are 590 lbs.

Eibach is 610. 886s are 660.

Lots of guys running that setup without complaints, including me for a time.

I'd check your shocks first, and maybe remove a leaf from the Dakars (there's a thread on this) for a more compliant rear ride. Dakars are meant for loads, so if you're running without extra weight then expect the full pack to be a firm ride, but not close to what I'd call a wagon or tank.

When I had a shell on my truck (230 lbs), my Tacoma was a Cadillac on the freeway. The ride was great, and I hardly felt bumps that weren't BUMPS. None were ever jarring, regardless. My wife loved the ride, too, even when she was pregnant.

5 years is a while for shocks, I'd replace them with 5100s and not OMEs, but that's just me. I ran both and didn't notice anything to be gained by the OME shocks and they're significantly more expensive. I believe the 5100s have more travel, also.

Either that or ditch what you have and use less preload on the adjustable setup. @IronPeak runs BP51s.

memario1214[OP] and outlawtacoma like this.
  7. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:43 AM
    fwd_josh

fwd_josh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB
    I think my OME lift rides better than the Sport suspension that came on the truck. But there was a spacer lift on the truck when i bought it.

8. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:48 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    You might be onto something with the rear end. I think that the jarring that I feel does primarily come from there. I have had it loaded up to the bed rails before with rock and you're right... It did ride like a Cadi. I think I'm just trying to justify to myself an upgraded suspension, but realistically what I do with this truck it might not be needed.

All said, I am familiar with the ride that comes along with a TRD Pro Tundra/Tacoma, Raptor, etc as I have ridden in each. I want that level of compliance for my own daily driver. Is getting a top-of-the line suspension the only way to get there?

9. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:48 AM
    TheCookieMonster

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    if you want the smoothest of driving comforts the stock Sport setup would be the best option especially a DD, knowing this, the Upgrade? would have to reflect the stock spring rates, other than that adding aftermarket coils and leafs will do nothing to enchance the DD driving experience unless your hauling/towing/winches heavier loads than the addition of whats considered heavier than OEM springs/coils is warranted. if you are after the cool factor and add the coils/springs/lift the driving comfort and handling will be subpar than what came from the factory.

10. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:49 AM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    Yes. I have the 885/5100 setup on mine and it is great.

11. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:49 AM
    TheCookieMonster

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    the OP has the OME lift and says it rides like shit?

12. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Wrong.

303tacoma likes this.
  13. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:53 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    I mean to each his own I figure. I can say that at speed offroad its definitely better than stock. If, for example, I hit a speed bump with any momentum whatsoever it is a jarring experience. I think I may just remove a leaf from the Dakar pack and see if I notice any improvement. I will say that that majority of the jarring seems to come from the rear.

14. Jun 11, 2017 at 6:55 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    By that logic, nobody with a 3rd gen suspension on a 2nd gen truck would be able to drive their truck without being rattled to death, since the OEM 3rd gen coils are something like 740 lbs.

:facepalm:

Unfortunately, it rides just like OEM 2nd gen suspension - because the shock valving is matched to the coil.

15. Jun 11, 2017 at 7:02 AM
    TheCookieMonster

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    fact of the matter is the OP has the OME sport lift and says it rides like shit, doesn't sound like an upgrade to me, sounds like a down grade and money not well spent without proper research before pulling the trigger. the Toyota engineers designed the Sport model suspension for a majority of the time street truck and that's how they tuned the suspension, if you have the OME suspension and feel an improvement power to you but the OP says it rides like shit, I believe it.

16. Jun 11, 2017 at 7:03 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about and should probably stop "contributing" in this thread, since you're not offering anything relevant to OPs question and are not saying anything factual in regards to your off topic argument, just reposting about why the factory suspension should ride better.

17. Jun 11, 2017 at 7:06 AM
    TheCookieMonster

Member:
    North East
    Vehicle:
    yes of course you have all the answers like removing a leaf spring in the rear to soften up the ride great advice, I have just as much right to contribute as you, your not a TW god who makes those calls.

18. Jun 11, 2017 at 7:10 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    My point was, you aren't contributing at all in this thread. You're arguing a point that only you have made, and has no relevance to the OPs problem or the discussion on solutions.

So, I'll just put you on ignore.

19. Jun 11, 2017 at 7:21 AM
    CaliDevilDoc

CaliDevilDoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road 4x4. 1995 FZJ80
    OME nitrochargers, 886, and Dakars
    I have your same setup except I'm in a 3rd gen and have 886 coils in the front. This setup is designed to carry weight and it will be harsh until your truck weighs more. If you aren't planning on having armor/weight, then I don't know what to tell you besides your suspension is designed for a different application. Its a great setup though, I love mine :)

TheCookieMonster likes this.
  20. Jun 11, 2017 at 7:23 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    885s are not designed for additional weight like the 886s you have.

Standard load coils.

CaliDevilDoc[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top