1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME Lift and Towing?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by qckslvr2234, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Apr 28, 2011 at 3:32 AM

qckslvr2234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2008
    06 Double Cab
    5100's at 2.5, taco lean spacer, Wheelers 3 leaf aal, sway bar relocate, Nitto terra grapplers 285/70/17, spidertrax, custom fishing rod holder, afe drop in filter, 15% tint on front 35% on back, access original roll up cover, BHLM, LED's in cupholder, Plasti-dip badges
    I have a 06 DC SB Sport and a 2007 Triton 20X bass boat. I would guess the boat and trailer are about 3,000 lbs. I don't go out as much this year because of gas but when I do it is no more then an hour from home normally. Right now I have stock suspension with non-tsb springs and it tows fine other then a little sag in the rear.

Question is I am also looking at getting the ome lift from toytec with the non-tsb aal. I would like to get new leaf packs but it is tight on money. How will the addition of the lift and aal affect my ability to tow and will the aal still last a while with occasional added weight?

I want the lift but dont want to lose my ability to tow my boat or lose the life of the aal.
  2. May 4, 2011 at 6:33 PM

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2006
    kearny, nj
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    I have a OME 884 (less then 2" lift) in the front with tsb and Firestone (5000 lbs capacity) air bags in the back.
    I tow pretty often and I can tell you that- if you don't do any serious off road,,, the air bags are hard to beat. $250 shipped and installed by myself. I lower the pressure to -less then 10 psi on normal time and raise it when needed.
    If you do serious off road ??? then they air bags are not suited. Will get ripped off when fully flexed.
    The air bags are used on most of the commercial trucks and they should last you the life of the truck as long the installation is done right and you don't abuse them. New springs like Dakar are a good option but will kill your back on every day drive.
    I decided to stick with the stock springs for every day comfort and the air bags when needed. You will need to drop your ball another 2".
    Hope this helps and good luck
  3. May 6, 2011 at 4:36 PM

elwood "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Feb 10, 2009
    First Name:
    ont, canada
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    I tow a travel trailer-(2500-3000 lbs) and just lifted the truck. I too put 884 on 9000 ome shocks. tsb aal and n-182 rear shocks.
    Just came back from our first trip north with the trailer and towed just fine. The aal helped out and i did not use the weight distribution set up. I could not get the ball low enough with the existing adjustable draw bar we had previously used. Went back to a 3.25 drop. Very smooth on the highway and only when we hit one very large hole in the road at some railway tracks did we get the major bucking that the WDH would have helped eliminate.
    Our trailer has a tongue weight of 380 to 400 lbs empty and we put both bikes, bbq, all fishing gear, two chairs, rug,tools and small items in the box of the truck.
    I am gonna try and find a draw bar that will allow me to use the WDH again to help on the high way but the truck dosen't really need it.

I have not seen a settlement of the 1.5 inch aal that gave me 2 inches. We regularily carry in the rear and use the truck as a truck but it has only been 4 weeks and have put 3000 km on the truck so i can not really speak on long term use. (3-4 years or longer) I have confidence that without regularily carring very heavy loads the aal will last and perform for my purposes. Remember it is not a half ton truck like a f 150 but a mid size. JMO
    Hope this helps somewhat.
  4. May 7, 2011 at 12:02 AM

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Apr 14, 2009
    First Name:
    SF Bay Area (East)
    07 Mid-Travel 4x4 DCSB 6spd
    Kings Mid Travel, BAMF bed rack, RTT, dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I have OME 886s and nitros all the way around and non-tsb aal, and I tow my travel trailer and my GF's dad's boat. When I tow my TT, I just have an anti sway bar, no WD setup needed.

At 3000lb, your truck will be fine.
To Top