1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME Nitros or Bilstein 5100s

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Thurman Merman, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Sep 18, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    Thurman Merman

Thurman Merman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Hey all,

I recently acquired some new OME 881 coils in preparation for a small lift on my truck. I don't want anything more than 2 inches and would prefer closer to 1 - 1.5".

Anyway, I'm not doing any kind of serious off-roading, and as such I'm not looking to blow my wad on KING or FOX shocks. From what I've ready, most people run the 5100 bilsteins, but the OME nitrochargers are another option.

People say the nitros are better than the 5100s, but my question is why or how are they better and is the difference significant enough to justify the increased cost?

Thanks for your expert opinions!

2. Sep 18, 2017 at 11:55 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    There are likely just as many people who say the Billy's are better.

The billy's are adjustable, in that you can set the spring perch at different levels to lift the front end up to about 3". If you already have OME coils, be careful as you may only be able to set the 5100's at the "stock" height (lowest setting) since the spring does the lifting instead of moving the spring perch location. I'm not familiar with OME's enough to tell you for sure that's the case with your 881's but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Other than that, it really comes down to if you like silver shocks or yellow ones. They both are a decent upgrade over stock (even if you have a TRD with OEM Bilstiens). I haven't seen anyone be too convincing that the nitrochargers are that much better than the billys, but there's something to be said for getting a full OME "kit" (shocks and coils together). Personally, I'd go with one of the TW vendors as many offer a member discount. I got a set of 4 5100's for $299 from downsouthmotorsports. THey lasted for 6 years on my truck, and will probably last another 6 on my friend's truck (I gave him mine when I got Kings).

You are pretty much guaranteed to be happy with either. Both are very well respected 'round these parts.

3. Sep 18, 2017 at 6:30 PM
    Thurman Merman

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Cool, thanks for your thoughts! I had heard something about needing to use the lowest setting on the 5100s with the OME coils, but was under the impression the coil would still provide something like 1.5, maybe 1.75" of lift even with the shock on the lowest clip.

Is there a list of the TW vendors? I'd definitely rather use someone in the community, tried and trusted, and of course any discounts/free shipping/perks doesn't hurt either.

4. Sep 18, 2017 at 8:51 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    For the vendors, just click the "forums" button at the top and scroll down, there's a vedors reviews, and a vendor section, too

5. Sep 18, 2017 at 10:45 PM
    03 NIGHT TACO

03 NIGHT TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Eastern Washington
    Vehicle:
    3.4 5 speed TRD
    Kings/Dakars/ARB
    I bought the Nitrochargers over the 5100's because they were designed to be run in conjunction the OME coils, so the whole package works very well together. You shouldn't be disappointed with the 5100's either though - the only real complaint I've seen with the Bilsteins is people saying they ride somewhat stiff but I have no personal experience with them to say for sure.

@HeadStrong Off-Road is a great vendor on here, extremely good customer service and good prices

6. Sep 19, 2017 at 2:47 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    Thank you for the recommendation @03 NIGHT TACO :cheers:

7. Sep 19, 2017 at 8:20 PM
    Thurman Merman

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Thanks!

Cool, thanks for your input. I'll check out their website!

8. Sep 19, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    tundra2tacoma

tundra2tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB SR5
    ProComp 7089 16x8, Cooper Disco ST MAXX 255/85/16, Leer cap, ome 885 and nitros in front, Wheelers 3-leaf AAL and Bilstein 5100s in the rear, ImMrYo's rear-view mirror lift bracket, BAMF LCA Skids, 4-Low yellow wire mod
    I had 5100s on eibachs for 6 years and just went to ome 885 with the softer nitros. Ome setup is softer and a nicer ride. Less jarring on bumps and rocky trails off road, and smoother on road with potholes and other road imperfectuons. Part of that is a slightly lighter spring rate on the ome 885s, but the shocks definitely make the ride smoother. My off road adventures are mostly not high speed, so I am happier with this setup. YMMV.

jbrandt likes this.
  9. Sep 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM
    Thurman Merman

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Cool, thanks for that info. I have been hearing that the 5100s feel pretty stiff, which is one of my worries. I don't want to spend good money on a new suspension setup and have it feel more jarring rather than less.

10. Sep 19, 2017 at 9:34 PM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    I never actually really noticed an especially "rough" ride with my 5100s, and I was coming from worn out stock trd bilsteins. I guess I always figured it was a truck, and it rode like a truck.

My Kings are certainly smoother, more progressive, etc, but for a grand they better be!

I hadn't actually heard from someone who's ran both the ome and 5100s, so that's pretty good to hear that perspective.

Products Discussed in

To Top