1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME or Air bags??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by HDFD10, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Mar 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    HDFD10

HDFD10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hate not being able to haul anything in the truck without it bootoming out. Already have an AAL and it helped a bit but not much. Whats a better way to go for hauling capacity? Dont off road much and when do its not major. So which route? OME springs or air bags?? The springs with new shocks, u-bolts, and bushing kit is $525.00 which is a little more than i wanted to spend. So tell me your opinions

2. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    nuckinfuts

nuckinfuts NyQuil on the rocks.

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC TRD Off-Road
    DT Long Tube Headers, Empire O2 simulator, catback, Shrockworks Sliders, Old Man Emu 3" lift with 885 coils (with 1/2" top plate spacer and Dakar Leaf packs), Hi-lift mounted in bed with 4XRAC mounts, WT floor liners, other stuffs
    The Dakar springs are awesome. I don't have the airbags but I've only heard good things about them. Sounds like if money is your issue the airbags will work best with your AAL and will save a few $$.

3. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    GPAK

GPAK Member

Member:
    Calgary,Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedy Blue TRD Sport DB LB 4x4
    Airlift bags, Wrangler Duratrac's, Cracked windshield mod, Paint chip from "canadian winter" mod, scratched bed from freeride bike mod, Bakflip HD cover, Electric tailgate lock, Billy 5100's, I forgot, "Effed" diff mod-soon to be fixed with ARB locker.
    Go with the airbags. I tried an alcoa firmer leaf pack and the roughness was unbearable. I eventually went back to the stock springs and bought a set of airbags so I could adjust for towing. They work great and the install took me about 45min per side. I ran the tubing and valve stems up behind the rear fender and mounted them just under the bed rails above the fenders inside the bed. They are never in the way. I use a bike pump to pump them up (I keep this in the truck) and when I'm at home I have a "PSIclops" to balance the pressures in both bags evenly. I'll try to post pics here tomorrow for you.

I've put a pallet of sod in the back my truck (~3000lbs!)no problems.
    In my opinion, don't buy the compressor or the incab mount/display, you will never get your money out of that thing.

4. Mar 30, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 4runner SR5 v8
    i vote OME springs. you will get the benefit of a great ride all day long, as well as get the increased capacity.

i had the TSBs adn the OME are much better IMO

5. Mar 31, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    HDFD10

Member:
    With the air bags do you get any lift out of them? ANd which setup will lats longer, air bags or springs? And what is total cost of air bags??

6. Mar 31, 2010 at 7:36 AM
    yosh2000

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 4runner SR5 v8
    ^ you can get lift out of then, but that will greatly increase the harshness of the ride. airbags are for support, not lift (in your case).

both will last a long time. you can blow a bag, or your springs can sag, but overall, dont think you have anything to worry about.

total cost of airbags you can find on google all day. i believe it is in the $300 range.

7. Apr 1, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    HDFD10

Member:
    Kinda thinkin air bag route just because of cost but then it seems like thats just a band aide on the real problem which is weak a$$ springs.

8. Apr 1, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
  9. Apr 1, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    HDFD10

Member:
    Seems like a lot of pluses on the air bags, what about the springs. Will they increase my load capacity a bit also??

10. Apr 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    yosh2000

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '05 4runner SR5 v8
    ^yes. OME also has an additional leaf you can add to the pack to increase even more. again, i love mine, unloaded and even more loaded!

To Top