1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

omfg!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by NetMonkey, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    x3

2. Oct 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Sorry to hear that, it's a nasty phone call to be part of. I bet you went crazy for a few mins there.

If that's what happened then you have no reason to not get the cops and insurance involved. Getting hit from behind is almost always someone else's fault.

If you don't then give it a couple of weeks and the other party may have thought up some great story and made an excuse to not pay out.

Do it the proper way if she's not at fault.

3. Oct 30, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    ya... i told my wife to call the insurance company right away.... i hope she doesnt procrasinate.

4. Oct 30, 2009 at 11:05 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    indeed :)

5. Oct 30, 2009 at 11:09 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Another good thing to know (even though it doesn't pertain to your situation), If this accident WAS her fault, her insurance rates will not go up if the insurance company pays out less than $750.

6. Oct 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    glad she's ok, but now its time to have a sit down with your wife and tell her to always call the cops when she is in an accident

7. Oct 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you ALWAYS call the cops and have the accident documented. I know someone who had the same accident and did just as your wife. Later the other person claimed that he was backed into. They had no way to prove what really happened. I hope this turns out OK for you but I have a bad feeling...

8. Oct 30, 2009 at 2:46 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    ya... i have heard lots of anecdotal evidence about what you should do and should not do and i have seen it swing both ways.

personally, i have been hit 4 times (other persons fault each time) in different trucks over the years and there was only 1 case that the person changed their story and i was out for the cost of the damage. in that case, it was a young kid in college and i bet his insurrance company would have jacked his rates so he changed his story. true, a police report would locked in the story.

in each of the cases that i was hit, the accident was so minor that i felt it was a waste of time to wait for and involve the police. but i got bit once... so i dont know.

hmm... i think i may go out and buy a couple of inexpensive digital cameras to keep in our glove boxes to use in cases like this. you just never know and had my wife had a camera, i am sure she would have taken pictures.

anyway... i digress :)

EDIT:
    ohh... and it doesnt matter if you call the police or not in "no fault" states (unless there was bodily injury); the insurance companies are the ones who duke it out. (colorado is an example of a no fault state).

9. Oct 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    you have 24 hours to report an accident. i hope your ole lady visibly saw the other chicks drivers license and didnt have the other chick just tell her her info. report that mess. the damage may be under the bumper. those things sometimes pop out and it seems like nothing is wrong. good luck.

10. Oct 30, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    so i was able to inspect the damage.

her bumper has 4 circular depressions where the screws holding on the license plate of the suburban dug into it. there is also a small dent in the middle of the 4 circular depressions. my wife didnt think that there was more damage than that, but i inspected the seams and edges of the body panels and you can tell that they are off. the rear bumper on the Scion is one large piece thats about a foot tall and wraps around the sides of the car up to the rear wheel wells. the edges of that panel are lose and the seams dont line up all around it. obviously, there is some structural damage behind the panel; bent hardware i would assume. this body panel is a panted fiberglass piece so i dont know if that can be buffed down and repainted. if not, that would have to be replaced along with any supporting hardware. that could get up to $2k i would guess?

i also called the insurance of the lady who hit my wife and i filled a claim. i got a claim number and that department is supposed to contact my wife on monday for her statement and to figure out what we are going to do next.

i called my insurance company as well and they said that these events cant be challenged; the lady of the suburban rear ended a stopped car.. theres no getting out of that.

so, hopefully, all will turn out well :)

11. Oct 30, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    All I know is if that were me, I would have left work and started driving her path to work. Glad to know she's all good. As far as the Scion... tough car it sounds like. It's a keeper. Hope all turns out good in the end.

12. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:08 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    It's not anecdotal evidence if it's happened to you, too. From your own experience, you get burned 25% of the time you don't get the police involved.

FWIW, if anybody ever hits me, the cops are showing up. I don't care how much they beg/plead for me not to call them. Not calling the cops is just asking for trouble later.

I sincerely hope you're dealing with honest people. And, again, I'm glad to hear your wife is OK. I would have FREAKED if I'd received a call like that.

13. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:31 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    CA is different than most states when it comes to accidents. If you're driving down the street and a car falls out of a tree in front of you, and you hit it from behind, you are at fault. Hit a deer, at fault. Etc etc. It's obvious she was rear ended, the claim will take it's course all we be ok in the end. You would be surprised at how many people don't get police reports. Fender benders happen all the time. I always tell my clients to file a claim no matter what because at fault parties tend to change their stories - and that's why we pay for insurance, use it if it makes sense. Most of the time things work out the way it should.

14. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:44 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    whoa, glad she is okay.

I know that very feeling about wondering if a loved one is okay or not.

15. Oct 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Glad she is safe!

16. Oct 31, 2009 at 3:02 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    It's nice of you to worry about me B. :p

17. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:22 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE:
    we filed a claim with the lady's insurance company (state farm) and they determined that their insured was 100% at fault and have agreed to fully pay for the inspection, estimates, repairs, and car rental.

so now we have to chose one of state farms "select service repair shops". i have a list to go through...

so far, everything is going smoothly.

18. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:26 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    Coolness

19. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Glad to see everything is ok.

20. Nov 5, 2009 at 9:28 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    That is weird that you have to go through one of state farms "select service repair shops." They just told me to take it to whoever I want to get it fixed by.

Products Discussed in

To Top