1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

On Board Water?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by skygear, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Jul 2, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Thanks. If I can spare the time, I am going to diagram my idea with Viso and I'll post it for commentary, feedback, etc.

And thank to you for keeping your thread going. It's a nice collection of experience and reference material.

2. Jul 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    No stress. I like to look in one place instead of pin-balling around the net

3. Jul 2, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Here is what I am thinking. My brain is pretty fried from work, but here it is...

Using a thermostat to control the recirculation makes this incredibly awesome, it takes all the manual work out of the equation. In this manner, you can arrive in camp and have warm water ready to go, no chance at scalding. And this design has the option to pump water from an infinite source like lake or stream, or to refill the tank too. If I do build this, I'll add a manual override for the pump, in case I want to use it with cold water only. I suppose further than another valve could be used to bypass the heat exchanger when filling the tank. The options are endless. :)

water%2520circuit_31c97776f07c3010f7892c910a3ad38e38ae54c1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Whitecloud likes this.
  4. Jul 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    That's what I was thinking on a similar note. Just wanted to finish up some of the other smaller projects first before I went full on with the water

5. Jul 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM
    tweeek

tweeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access Cab TRD OR
    This looks good, but you will not have any water pressure unless your temp sensor is sending 12v to the pump (ie your water is cold)

I really dont see the problem that having the onboard tank and recirculation pumps etc. Solves? You are making things more complicated by adding ball valves electronic doodads and additional plumbing to the rear of the truck.

Imo, keep it simple. You can control the temp of the water with a mixing valve, you have water instantly as hot as you could possibly imagine, or same temp as the source. No scalding. Drop a hose in a lake, or in a water container, permanently mounted, or otherwise. ( I prefer using the 20l scepter water container) you can fill them up at a stream as you pass it in your travels, without having to hookup hoses and run pumps, or transfer and funnel it into a fancy fill spout. You can tell how much water is left at a glance, your buddies can carry their own damn water if you arent camping near alake.

What problem does recirculating the water in an onboard tank solve?

BigCarbs likes this.
  6. Jul 2, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    Making it hot to a desired temp so you do not have to have the truck on when you want hot water.

Others already put thermostats on their systems. Just didn't make it active

7. Jul 2, 2014 at 5:07 PM
    tweeek

tweeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victoria, BC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Access Cab TRD OR
    unless you want to shower 10 minutes after getting into camp, you still have to run the truck anyway. Or if you have multiple people using it, you have to run it between showers (while you wait) to reheat the water again after your resivoir is empty.

Personally, I like to shower in the morning, maybe everyone else likes to shower as soon as they make camp and never again while parked?

Turn the truck on and have instant, endless water, less parts to fail, less complex, cheaper and more efficient.....

8. Jul 2, 2014 at 5:52 PM
    Explor

Explor Don’t take the trip ... let the trip take you

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Northampton County Pa.
    Vehicle:
    FUN
    TRD valve stem caps , A Chimney & Back up camera. , Cooper STMaxx 255/80/17, SCS Dark Bronze wheels, , bed matt, weathertech floor liners and bug deflector , flyzeyez dash and glove box light , Best Top supertop, Brute Force Sliders , Bumpers ,KC back up lights, vent shades, tinting, superwinch 9.5 , Factor 55 winch thimble , KC ditch lights , BAMF IFS skid plates , Tepui Ruggedized RTT , Awning , Bed light kit , Hood Struts , Camburg UCAs ,Bud built gas skid , all pro differential skid , cbi jerry can holder , 15lb CO2 Tank , URD short shift , Defined engineering shackle bolt crossmember, Clazzio seat covers , 4:56 Nitro gears , ARB rear locker, CMKA12 compressor. Super Bump Stops, Bushwacker Flares , CBI bed rack , king resi front 700# , OME Dakar, Bilstein 6100's 10" light bar diode dynamics , AV monster fogs , TC bed reinforcement brackets , TC spindle gussets w swaybar Yeasue Ham , cb
  9. Jul 2, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    My solution requires a thermostat for automatic temp control. I'm not concerned with it failing because the pump will have an override, basically a single pole double throw switch. Our solution also requires a tank, over three-quarters of our trips are in the Colorado / Sonoran desert. We always carry our own water.

Also, once the tank is hot, the truck can be turned off because the 12 gallon tank will have a lot of thermal mass so it will stay warm for a long time, probably insulate it too. Thinking of mounting it in the truck bed.

10. Jul 2, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate

I like your idea, but not your complexity.

Here's my system. Missing the 3 way valve so far but this is basically it. The grey thing is a hydraulic check valve & the 3 way will let me bypass it in case of failure or turn it on in an idiot proof manner.

nuhe3yze_2964af3e9a5466e67fc1d18844d42164d272f18e.jpg

Mounted my heat exchange by battery that will be part of the loop pictured above

aqypyqa6_319f107a815b5f750ec98fd5436d929062847ffd.jpg

Plumbing in a thermostatic valve and it'll be a matter of hitting one button to turn on water pump then turn a ball valve and perfect hot water non stop, provided my source (stream, bucket etc) lasts.

11. Jul 2, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    Spencer

Spencer Future President

Member:
    First Name:
    TIGGLEBITTIES
    Upland, Chino... all of 909.
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4X4 6cyl Sex Machine
    Redline hood lift, Flyzeye cabin lights, tailgate lock, SPOD Power block, VIAR onboard air, Cobra CB radio, Firestick 4' Antenna, Hot Blonde CoPilot Mod, SIX 9" Hella 4000 HID conversion with external 55W ballasts, Six 6" LED bars, Napier Bed Tent, Mudflaps delete using rocks, Roof rack by Brute force, Rock sliders by Brute force, Bed LED lights, Underhood LED automatic lights, Constant 12V bed plug, Rugged race radio, ICON uniball UCA's, KING 2.5 700 rate coilovers, Deaver rear leaf springs, KING 2.5 resi rear shocks (Flat 0.15 stack on compression shims), Scangauge, Empty wallet Mod Bug disease, AllPro Apex front bumper, On board heat exchange shower & water pump (Heater Core intercept mod), On Board Air - Viair for now, ARB when it dies-, allpro Skids back to gas tank- Tepui RTT on the shittiest "Bed Rack" ever made.... AllPro U Bolt flip kit with timbren bumps NEXT UP- expo leafs & bed rack, hydraulic bumps in rear, Total Chaos stock LCA's w/ Bypass, Rear 12" shock hoop relocate
    Also, can someone tell me which of these flows what direction?
    u6y2u6yp_7918deaa6e61783417965ae83d23dca1680a149d.jpg

My system is simple, but will destroy something if I get the flow plumbed in the wrong direction.

12. Jul 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Top is into heater core, bottom is return as stated by others. I'd use the bottom hose for the heat exchanger...If it were me I would consult factory service manual for peace of mind...

Not that you need it but I wanted to wish you good fortune on your install. Look forward to your completed project. :D

As far as strategy, I still do not understand how the mixing valve works for this application. I think I need to see a diagram, or someone needs to explain it plainly to me in a sequence.

A mixing valve has two inputs, one cold and one hot. It has one output to shower head I presume?

Cold line from tank or stream or lake, hot input is from heat exchanger. Right?

Temperature is controlled from manual dial adjustment at mixing valve. Okay.

How is pressure maintained on both sides of the water sources with one pump?

13. Jul 2, 2014 at 10:37 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
  14. Jul 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    Mine is not done yet. But seems they are just splitting the input source water into cold and hot with one pump using a 3 way.

Yes on the mixing valve. Hot in, cold in, and one adjustable temp out.

Pressure. Well, that's where a balance of plates and valves comes into play I assume.

Think of your house. It only has 1 mainline in. Cold. Then some goes into the hot water heater and pressure brings it up right?

15. Jul 2, 2014 at 11:08 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    Spencer. Any filtration?

16. Jul 2, 2014 at 11:10 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Skygear. Your threads are the best. That is all. Anything I've ever dreamed about doing with my truck I just look in one of your threads and find a thousand links on how to do it. Thank you for all your internets.

17. Jul 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    Lol. That's more of a bad thing ;) I need to work on my organization skills with these threads :spy:

18. Jul 2, 2014 at 11:21 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    On another note, ben, you plug in your truck for the engine heater ever up there? Just brainstorming on how a cold weather system like this could work. Possibly a very efficient. Low draw in tank heater with a low power and thermostat shut off. Insulated tank of course

19. Jul 2, 2014 at 11:24 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Dont even have one. Never have needed to, always use good oil and just got he diehard platinum group 31 so I've got plenty of amps. Bought my truck brand new and have never plugged it in. Autostart and a blind eye at the fuel pump is my system.

20. Jul 2, 2014 at 11:31 PM
    skygear

skygear [OP]                    

Member:
    That works. Was just curious. These 31's are monsters in our trucks. I'm still going to research the heater though. If it kept the water to just above freezing in winter without a huge draw. Say 44°, I think it would be a nice addition. And a UV purifier. Don't want ice to destroy components

Products Discussed in

To Top