1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

On second thought, Do I really need 4 X 4?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ERdept, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Nov 5, 2007 at 7:58 PM
    Bluestreak

Bluestreak Active Member

Member:
    4x4 for sure, it will keep its resale value if ever decide you dont need the 4 wheel drive and you can sell it or trade in for 2 wheel, the old saying goes once you 4wheel your always a 4 wheel its just never the same!

2. Nov 5, 2007 at 8:19 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    I've got the TRD sport as well. I off road from time to time, so I know that I would have to have it. Before you ask yourself any questions, you have to realize that 4X4 is ones FALSE since of security. Just because you have it doesn't mean you can drive through it. Sometimes I think I should have gone with the OFFROAD pkg over the SPORT, but then again I also think that the Tacoma with or without 4X4(V6) has enough power and is light enough to get through a lot of stuff? Now all of this depends on the driver. So imagine what you could do without 4X4 and what you could do with it. It's like jumper cables, you'll need them when it means the most!

3. Nov 5, 2007 at 8:32 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    also, a 4x4 makes up alot of the difference between a good offroad driver and a not-so-good driver. i consider myself a decent offroad driver, seeing as how i got through stuff in my 2wd taco w/ the stock tires that my buddy in his 5.8l 4x4 crewmax tundra barely made it through.

bottom line is get the 4x4, every $1000 on your loan adds about another $20 a month, so thats just one less pizza u can order if money is a factor.

the best saying was stated a couple posts above, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...i wish mine was 4x4 :(

4. Nov 5, 2007 at 8:50 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    Ya, 4x4 can give a false sense of security but that is why I usually don't engage it until it is absolutely needed, unless I can tell for sure before I enter a section of trail that I will need it. There are times I run it constantly just to give it some use though.

5. Dec 24, 2007 at 3:11 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Having no idea where you are I don't know if you'll deal with snow or not. I've gotten by with 2wd cars since I started driving, but knew I wanted to go off roading and there was no point getting a 2wd truck. No weight in the back means no traction. No point getting a truck that can't go places my car can't! :laugh:

With that said, I keep it in 2wd until I get stuck. Then it's 4hi to get out, and back to 2wd. Sometimes just the locker, or 4hi AND locker. Either way, if you get stuck in 2wd it's winch/digging/get-a-tow time if you don't have the option of 4wd.

I travel logging roads too, and I know how they wash out. Sometimes it's just easier to have 4wd so the front wheels can claw over wash outs or rock ledges rather than forcing the rear tires to push them over. It can be done, but how much wheel spinning and rock throwing is involved? The rocks can damage your truck or your buddy following you. Better to engage the front wheels, keep the speed down, and minimize damage.

6. Dec 24, 2007 at 8:39 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    I agree

7. Dec 24, 2007 at 8:42 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    well since my prerunner taco is going, at least i'll have 4wd with a jeep...i got a HELLA good deal tho, no way i could've passed it up

Products Discussed in

To Top