1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One antenna CB/FM/AM

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kyouto42, May 26, 2009.

1. May 26, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 [OP] Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    So, I realize that you're not going to get the best reception in any category but... satisfactory on the 3 (well FM/CB at least) is all I'd be looking for. I've been thinking about picking up a CB but I really don't want another antenna or have to run it ect ect... So, doing so searching I ran across this:
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/electronic-...enna-splitter-firestik-ar-1a-match-maker.html

Anyway, it sounds like it might be kind of promising. What I'm thinking though is to the guys that have firesticks... Think there's any chance of doing a fairly easy mod to replace the current stocker antenna with a firestick?(granted the base will need to be new and maybe fab'd) I know there's quick disconnects and all that but, let's be honest I'm lazy by nature lol. Plus with the undercover it makes bed moutning not worth the time of day, and finding another spot (I really don't like the roof idea) is kinda bleh. I'll never need excessive range, if I start getting to that point then yea I'd pick up another long stick or something to bring with on trips to mount up via a magnet but... for everyday stuff and local wheeling events I doubt the group would exceed a 2-3mi range to start with.

2. May 26, 2009 at 5:38 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Sounds cool, but I'm skeptical. As an electronics guru, I know that antenna performance relies primarily on its length. All 3 spectrums require different lengths for quality reception. Good idea, but I'm sure its lacking even more on performance than the guy is telling us.

If you dont' really use the FM, go for it. AM reception has to be sketchy at best. CB frequencies are in the 28 Mhz range. AM radio is 1Mhz to 1.6Mhz ---big difference.

3. May 26, 2009 at 5:51 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    +1- There is a reason the antennas are built differently- It'd be cheaper for everyone if they all worked on a standard antenna- but the math for the antenna reception just can't work out.

Get a mag mount and stow it when you aren't on the CB??

4. Jun 2, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    walcottcb.com sells a motorola antenna splitter that should work with the stock tacoma's antenna, and allows you to separately tune for cb and AM/FM.
    My plan was to give it a shot for everyday use when I don't care so much about range, and then put on my mag-mount lil wil when I actually care about reception (roadtrips, etc)

5. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    That has to be even worse than the last product. You won't get more than 1/4 mile, maybe half mile reception on the CB if you're lucky. The worst part is you won't be able to transmit far at all.

6. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:23 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Right... I understand that it's not going to work well, which is why I said, I plan on installing it purely so I can get _some_ cb all of the time, and I can always pop on the mag mount when I want to actually be able to talk.

I don't like leaving the mag mount on, and I also don't like not having _any_ reception without putting it on.

7. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    A CB is a transmitter, your stereo is a reciever, transmitters require a matched antenna so as not to fry from its own transmitting signal coming back into the final circuit. CBs are, believe it or not, a serious communications tranciever that deserves its own dedicated antenna. I was showing lsocoee a trunk lip mount type antenna that is really VERY easy to set up on the engine hood. The clamp of this mount bites onto the underside of the hood, poising the antenna over the hood without touching the paint. then you simply run the coax thru the firewall via an existing entry point. Your hardest part is to match the antenna to the radio with an SWR meter. YOU CANNOT BE LAZY WITH THIS POINT! If you fail to do a matchup, your final coils inside your radio will heat up with every transmission and eventually fail...not to mention your transmissions and/or modulation will be weak as hell.
    It is best to have an optimal system because you never know when you may actually need that radio out there.

8. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    er... why is everyone being such jerks? I was just saying what is working for me to get a weak CB setup going that I don't mind leaving on all the time. I do own an SWR meter, I have checked it, and I do keep my lil wil magmount, which works quite well, in a storage bin under my back seat. I just don't want it mounted all the time. I thought the OP might be interested. That's it.

9. Jun 2, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    And don't you think this is a bit dramatic? For true emergencies I'd rather have a cellphone. Besides, I _do_ keep a "real" antenna handy.

10. Jun 2, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    - So you don't care if you fry your shit?
    - Must be nice to live in a place that has cell phone reception EVERYWHERE. Shit where I grew up, no more than a dive off the highway and the reception is gone.
    - The ops '2 in 1' idea was a little bit more logical. A receiver isn't as picky about antennas, sure the reception is going to suck, but it wont blow up. If the antenna is matched for CB reception, then things will be fine, just radio reception will suck. Reverse it, and you have problems.

We're not being jerks, we just know whats going on. Sorry if it sounds like we are.

11. Jun 2, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    No, a jerk is exactly what you're being. Thanks for the input.

12. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Firstly, I was not talking to you, I was talking to the OP of this thread. Second, there are a LOT of places where cells don't get a signal. Everyone knows this. You are IMO the one being dramatic with your namecalling, and it is not appreciated-especially when IT's NOT YOUR THREAD:mad:

13. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Sorry, wasn't aware you owned the thread. Take it easy, dude.

14. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 [OP] Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Whoa man, he's not trying to be a jerk, he's simply stating a fact. He's absolutely right it will damage your equipment if the antenna isn't matched to the CB, the CB requires the impedance to be matched (resistance). If it's not, it can't handle the power it's throwing at it and it will receive it back and end up frying itself out, maybe not immediately but eventually it will.

Also, thanks for the replies to everyone else. I'm still kinda on the fence of trying it or not. The only station I really listen to on FM here has the most powerful transmitter in Arizona so, I doubt reception would be that huge of a loss (Transmits in phx, I can receive it just outside of Tucson 100+mi away)

15. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    I think you better switch to decaf.

16. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Ugh, I'm tired of the mostly true but not quite there information.

For the record! Yes, if you have a high-powered, quality radio with bad SWR on a crappy antenna or bad splitter setup like I have, you will eventually burn out your final transistors.

Here's the part you're all missing and why i'm getting so aggravated: If all you want is a low-power radio with relatively crappy signal that you can hear some truckers on from a relatively short distance, you can have SWR of 2 or 3 and _not_ fry your FT's. This is because a typical low-power modern radio should cut back power to protect final transistors.

If you're running linear amps or otherwise have lots of power, sure, you'll mess stuff up. But if you have a 4 watt radio, it ain't gonna fry.

So I was assuming if you're running a half-assed splitter setup or combined antenna, you're interested in a low-power radio that is easy to install and cheap, and therefore probably have a weak set to begin with, and therefore this won't be a problem, and even if it is, you can run to walmart and pay another 20 bucks.

Lastly, yes, the two posters were being jerks, at least in my mind, mainly because of the holier-than-thou arrogant attitude they both took, especially where they ignore completely when I clearly say things like "Yes, this is not an ideal setup. Yes, it will not work well. Yes, I have another antenna." and instead get flooded with all caps rants about being sure not to be too lazy to grab an SWR meter or saying how crappy kit (that I'm agreeing is crap!) is in a very asinine way.

17. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    I still say switch to decaf:D you are gettin yourself all worked up for little shit.

18. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 [OP] Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Request to mod to close topic, I didn't intend this to start into a flame war.

19. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM
    Ridgerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    YOU started the "flaming" with the word "jerk". Frankly, everything was fine till you came in here! I didn't even trip on your posts befor I posted. I went from reading the ORIGINAL POSTER's post then I RESPONDED TO HIM. NOT YOU. So get that out of your head. THEN you have the audacity to ask to close another guy's thread??? What if there was more input? Go start your own thread!

20. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I didn't write that, the OP did. This is all ridiculous. Whatever dudes, no offense intended, let's just politely drop it? My setup works for me, even if you both hate it, and the OP doesn't seem to care what any of us have to say.

My apologies.

Products Discussed in

To Top