1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One more day of hell at work!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by DanGer, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Aug 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    So this weekend was the weekend of the biggest even of the year at the county park I work at. All last week I spent 50 hours putting up tents, collecting trashcans from other parks, and getting our park prepared for the event. We had about 150 acres dedicated to parking.

Saturday and sunday i worked 25 hours collecting trash, cleaning and stocking restrooms, parking cars, etc. We had roughly 30,000 people come through the park in two days:eek:

Tomorrow I am taking down tents, returning borrowed shit from other parks and cleaning up the ground trash. One more day until I get a day off and some personal time with the tacoma

2. Aug 3, 2009 at 4:04 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'll take your long Weekend over the day I had on Saturday!!

I got my ass kicked Saturday. Had to explain....but I busted my ass running around trying to stay up to pace. I was wrapping every load of product that was comiong off the robot because - that's what you're supposed to do.
    Needless to say.... after already putting 7 hours of work in, the one guy tells me...."You don't have to wrap every load"

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee THANKS!! That would've been nice to know that 7 hours ago!!!

I'm in this 'Steps Challenge' program at work and I wear a pedometer every day for the past couple months. The highest amount of steps I've ever put in so far over the last couple months has been 12,000 or so during an 8 hour shift. Saturday....I put in 21,000 in 8 hours. :eek: Had to do it all over again on Sunday - but it was a little easier 14,000 steps.

3. Aug 3, 2009 at 4:10 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    I'll trade you guys ANY day...

I sit in a nice air conditioned office and tell ppl what to do. Sometimes i get up and walk around and make sure things are done right, but most of my day is boring...Just waiting for something to break so I can fix it. I hate it...Its a cake job, but its boring and making me fat...Im used to hard labor and when I got this job, I thought i was gonna be in heaven...But when your used to working for a living and then you get stuck behind a desk, it kinda sucks...Im more tired now when I get home then when i actually had to work 10-16 hours a day...

4. Aug 3, 2009 at 4:25 AM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    Today it only got up to 123F but most of the equipment has A/C so its not to bad. It sucks when I have to sit at the desk to do the little bit of paperwork I have.

5. Aug 3, 2009 at 4:30 AM
    mpgnc64

mpgnc64 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike and Denise
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Access cab 4cyl 5spd, 2000 Prerunner
    Tool box, Thule rack, rod holders, 5100s at 1.75 and the TSB
    Plus we only work 6 days a week but we only work half days.............there's 24 hours in a day and we only work half of those.

6. Aug 3, 2009 at 12:18 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Start looking elsewhere......

I can totally relate to the 'borin' part. If I had a desk job, I'd get fat too!! I used to do side projects for 6 months at a time and I gained 20lbs.

Honestly? All this physical labor, steal toed boots, & concrete floors.... It'll either be good for me (physically) or it'll wear the crap outta me. Only time will tell.

7. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Tell me about it. I had been used to working at Lowe's in lumber and outdoor lawn and garden, then moved to a desk job. My friends that I lived with didn't do much as far as playing football or soccer or anything, so in a matter of 3 months I gained nearly 40 lbs. I thought I was shrinking my clothes in the washer because they stopped fitting so quickly.

3 years later, in the same job, and I'm struggling to drop the weight.

8. Aug 4, 2009 at 9:53 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Other than being a college student.... I'm self employed, doing what i like doing, and I make my own hours! :woot:

Sorry, guys. LOL

9. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'd take work anyday over this weekend. Thurs I spent my day cleaning the house and getting it ready for the movers. The moving crew showed up around 730AM on Friday and started right in. I stayed until about 10AM- Left my wife to supervise them to drive to New Orleans with 1000# in the truck. Signed my lease, got my keys, unloaded the truck, and drove back to Pensacola and cleaned until about midnight.
    Then got up @ 530AM Sat to pack another 1200# in the Taco and drove back to New Orleans. Unloaded the taco....Painted a bedroom, set up the stuff we brought with us. More of the same on Sunday, along with some driving around the area to stuff and get shopping done.
    Monday the movers brought stuff...and Tues was spent taking stuff outta boxes and putting it all away.

I want to go back to work where I'm limited to only working for 10 hours and flying not more than 6....

10. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:47 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Honestly? All this physical labor, steal toed boots, & concrete floors.... It'll either be good for me (physically) or it'll wear the crap outta me. Only time will tell.[/QUOTE]

Janster, it will eventually get to you. I've been doing 12 hour shifts on concrete floors all my life and at 53 its starting to take a toll. Motrin is my friend in the morning ;)

11. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    But we are most appreciative of your work. Thank you!

My job has it's bad days too. I sit behind a big beautiful desk in my own office with huge windows that look outside. As I'm on the phone doing my job, I surf TacomaWorld (MULTI-TASKING :D). Sometimes I just leave early because its too nice outside to be sitting here. I have no boss's and no one telling me what to do.
    Yes, I own my own business with only 1 other employee.

But I did my time in jobs similar to those above. Work hard, keep your head up and know that things will fall into place if you try hard enough.

To Top