1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

One of my half shafts is loose

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacoBlitz, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jun 22, 2011 at 3:01 AM
    TacoBlitz

TacoBlitz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    01 DoubleCab SR5 TRD, white
    Topper, Yakima Racks, Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket (lights all around) 20% window tint (all 4 doors), Spectre ProFab Air Intake System, Black grille, Rino Lined rocker panels, rear bumper and flares Suspension: New OME 881 coils and OME 5 leaf rear springs, Blilstein shocks and struts, Daystar Greasable lift shackels Extended rear brake line
    My half shaft where it goes into the differential is considerably more loose than the one on the other side., I know that there is supposed to be some play in them but there is definitively more movement than there should be. It is not leaking yet but with how loose it is and how I can hear it rattle and clunk when I shift it around with my hand.. it makes me wonder how it is staying sealed in there and when and if it is going to start soon...

I am supposed to be going on a trip this week and will probably be doing some wheeling with it also and I don't have time to get it checked out by a mechanic before I leave, so I am just wondering how serious of a problem this could turn out to be by driving this far with it like this, not to mention offroading with it?? I do plan to bring some gear oil with me just in case it starts leaking fluid, Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks everyone

2. Jun 22, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    t0mills

t0mills Well-Known Member

Member:
    TRD, Gray Wire Mod, 3" Suspension lift, 3" Body Lift, 285/75 AT2s
    Driver side CV where it goes into the diff?

Totally normal. Thought mine (2002) was messed up when I noticed the play, and after doing a ton of research, I came to the conclusion that they are ALL like that.

3. Jun 22, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Yeah mine is the same way the driver side has more play. As long as your not hearing grinding wile driving I think your fine.

4. Jul 24, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    TacoBlitz

TacoBlitz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    01 DoubleCab SR5 TRD, white
    Topper, Yakima Racks, Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket (lights all around) 20% window tint (all 4 doors), Spectre ProFab Air Intake System, Black grille, Rino Lined rocker panels, rear bumper and flares Suspension: New OME 881 coils and OME 5 leaf rear springs, Blilstein shocks and struts, Daystar Greasable lift shackels Extended rear brake line
    Thanks for the help, that makes me feel a lot better

Products Discussed in

To Top