1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

online repair manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jfr02, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    jfr02

jfr02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    does anyone know of any websites that have online repair manuals anyhelp would be great i need it for a plymouth breeze

2. Jun 2, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
  3. Jun 2, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    jfr02

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    thanks you guys are always alot of help

4. Jun 2, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Are all the chrysler/plymouth forums offline?:confused:

5. Jun 2, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    I had to change a battery on a 01 LHS last week, OMG what a pain in the ass!! I blew some fuses getting the friggin battery back in its spot, just a few arcs lol stupid thing is way up under the bumper. I couldn't really find anything online about it. And just looking at the way the car was made, it's no wonder Chrysler is tanking. And on that, FIAT is joining up with them!!! you ever work on a fiat?!!! lol
    sorry damn chrysler talk hit a nerve :mad:

6. Jun 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    jfr02

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb 6spd sport
    i hear you on that all of my exsperence's with chysler have not been pleasent try doing the timing belt on the lhs and intepid you will create a whole new language

7. Jun 2, 2009 at 10:52 PM
    caradiodoc

caradiodoc New Member

Member:
    Chrysler developed the alternator in 1960. It was copied by GM and Ford years later. Chrysler was first with anti-lock brakes, . . . in 1969. First to use air bags. First with computer-controlled carburetor (Horizon Miser / 54 mpg), first minivan, first engine designed specifically for NASCAR, then detuned and used in passenger cars (426 hemi).

Now, to those of you who detest Chrysler, and think the GM gods can do no wrong, they have given you the world's most unreliable AC generator, cd players with a 100 percent failure rate, expensive, complicated, unreliable, unnecessary computer controls for everything from power windows to anti-theft systems that are extremely effective at keeping customers out of their own cars. Doors that lock automatically after you exit while the engine is still running (better carry a spare key in your wallet), On-Star that allows big brother to know your location, speed, direction of travel, and when you don't get the emissions system fixed. We rolled our eyes when they put the EGR valve under the intake manifold. They must have thought they would never need service. Now, in their infinite wisdom, they are putting the starter motor there.

Anyone who has visited a GM showroom knows of the very high pressure sales tactics used to move their products. Their solution to the failure of all their rack and pinion assemblies was not designed to help their customers; it was designed to get the car out of the 50,000 mile warranty period. After that, they were quite happy to have you buy a new unit. Computer failures are a regular occurrence. Now, to keep you coming back to the dealership, software must be updated and reinstalled, and except for three computers as mandated by the government, none can be done by independent repair shops. Chrysler and Toyota allow the independents access to every computer module except the security system, but there's an annual fee and a per car charge. Hyundai allows access to every computer on every car to anyone, for free. Now that's taking care of their customers.

Of course, you still can't argue that all these computers are necessary, and it's the reason I will never buy another new car. Pressing the horn button on a Ford sends a voltage to the most intelligent computer on the car, the instrument cluster, which sends a coded signal to the front electronic module (FEM), which turns on the horn relay. Imagine; two computers involved in blowing the horn! Oh how did we manage all those decades with just a relay and a horn switch? The power windows, power locks, and interior lights on my 1988 Grand Caravan work just fine after 21 years without any computers. The heater controls consist of a lever and cable and a few push buttons. No computer controls so she can be two degrees warmer than me. Computers should not be needed to open and close sliding doors. If you don't have the strength to open a door by hand, you have no business driving.

Chrysler has always had the easiest vehicles to diagnose and service but that's not the reason uneducated consumers purchase cars. They look at flashy gadgets and features that add no intrinsic value to the basic transportation device. Management is responsible for tens of thousands of jobs from assembly line workers to parts suppliers to dealership personnel. There's two things they can do to generate the dollars to meet their responsibilities; strong-arm current customers to extort as much money as possible after the sale, or sell more product. GM has mastered the art of squeezing money out of unsuspecting customers. Chrysler, on the other hand, has produced cars with the useless crap consumers demand in an attempt to increase sales. Motorized sliding doors and lift gates, two and three-zone heating systems, computer-controlled radiator fans that can't be heard inside the car, and of course, enough cup holders for a football team don't add anything to the reliability of the vehicle, but it sure affects peoples' buying decisions. Then, who whines the loudest when presented with a $600.00 repair bill for a body computer to fix the dead door locks or dome lights?

Interference engines result in $2000.00 repair bills for a valve job when the timing belt breaks, but people keep buying these cars. Chrysler timing belts are fairly easy to replace if you know a few simple tricks. At least you don't have to pull the engine like on the Mitsubishi 3000GT! Some other things you miss out on with a Chrysler include the need to tow the vehicle to the dealership to have minimum throttle relearned after simply disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, (that's a Volkswagen feature), or the excitement of paying $1500.00 for a replacement key for a Lexus, (which comes from Japan with the matching, preprogrammed body computer). I can have a spare key made for my van at the local hardware store for a couple of bucks.

I grump as much about Ford and GM products as people who are unfamiliar with Chryslers complain about them, but we have to remember, no matter how expensive they make the cars to own, maintain, and repair, people still buy them. Manufacturers will not give us inexpensive, easy-to-fix, uncomplicated cars as long as we keep buying the current offerings. It's hard to tell if the Element, Murano, Rendezvous, or Nitro is the most ugly car since the Lumina APV, but it just proves that no matter how hard they try to out-do each other, people will still buy them. With complicated toys that break, and expensive repair bills, is it any wonder the Big Three are having trouble selling the cars?

caradiodoc:confused:

8. Dec 30, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    nice.diver

nice.diver Member

Member:
    pnw
    Vehicle:
    dive buddies
    volkswagen MINI van...1950's

Products Discussed in

To Top