1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ontario BS Thread

Discussion in 'Ontario, Canada' started by tacoma16, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2020 at 5:14 PM
    daks

daks Juzt for Shitz

Member:
    Hammertown,Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017-TRD-Sport DCSB
    Ongoing
    Lol, when we first bought this house the garage had been built years ago on a "cinderblock foundation", lol just cinderblocks set on the ground.

I jacked up one side of the garage at a time with this high lift and a pedestal jack and braced it in the air while I dug 18" underpinnings for it.
    Had to lift it up more than a foot and brace it so I could get a shovel in.
    As I was liftin the one side one of the 2x4's in my brace frame "popped/blew apart" thought the whole thing was coming down.
    Still have good reflexes though, I was outside the garage before the jack handle hit the ground. LOL
    Creepin back in there with a mit load of 2x4's just ready to fly if I hear even a creak...

Atlas86 and tacoma16[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  2. Apr 5, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Haha. Yeah sounds familiar. Mine was Jack this heavy green house in the “middle” up off the ground. Goal was to lift the green house high enough so we could back a trailer underneath it (had ramps and stuff and the trailer was heavy duty 20 foot flat deck for skid steers and backhoes). Anyways, a 15 foot tall structure balancing in the middle on a hilift....Jack was moving. It was bad. Got it done though.

3. Apr 5, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    Joe23

Joe23 Canuckistikian

Member:
    The Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road DCSB
    Good point

Bro the motel that was repurposed as a Muslim prayer centre by my house, watch them cut the grass in sandals all the time.

4. Apr 5, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    TeecoTaco

TeecoTaco Liberty Biberty

Member:
    SW Ontario
    Vehicle:
    16 Taco DCSB TRD Sport 6MT
    Modified the level of gas in the tank
    Oh hey, welcome to TW!

5. Apr 5, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    Tridet167

Tridet167 Not an Overlander, or am I?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma SR5 DblCab
    I see the same thing. Wife suffers from asthma so I'm trying to be careful when I do go out for groceries and such. Went to Cdn Tire last week looking to replace a wrench under warranty that I use at work. I was already scared to be going in there and I walk in, the place was packed with people. Looked like a regular day at Cdn Tire.
    By the looks of that wrap, I believe those are Overland points and not HP my friend.

6. Apr 5, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    That’s pretty good. Now just need to decide if i go 24 or 32. Great price tho

Shveet[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Apr 6, 2020 at 4:53 AM
    Shveet

Shveet retired TEC Picture Guy (̶r̶e̶t̶u̶r̶n̶e̶d̶)̶

Member:
    Own-tario
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR
    why considering the 24? where would you place it?

I believe if you have something like the SSO slimline with the cutout, it fits a max of a 24 inch bar, so that's the only reason why i can see you going with it.

my personal need was that i needed a bar that was a mix of flood and spot for driving in the middle of the night in cottage country - went with the 32inch because i might as well fill in the spot, i wasn't sure how much light it would output compared to what i needed so i use it as a benchmark, and that it was the cheapest light for the size that i was able to find that also included the wiring harness. the pod lights where a bonus extra but i knew i wasn't going to use them originally

for mounting you don't need to get Cali-raised stuff (this was my route) or SDHQ and their mount but you can build you own mounting brackets like this guy did or this guy or you can mount it straight to the plastic using the stands that came with the bar.

but note, if you do have the 32 inch bar (which is a spot/ flood hybrid light) in the lower grille like how i have it, any bumper with the "bull" bars or the loop of steel might block light being emitted from the "flood" LEDs on the edges.
    upload_2020-4-6_7-54-44.jpg

at the end of the day if you go with a 24, the wiring harness is the same as for the 32 inch bar. if you find you need some more light, you can upgrade. Otherwise good luck!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  8. Apr 6, 2020 at 5:22 AM
    Shveet

Member:
    Own-tario
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR
    pretty sure it's horsepower, the WRX/STI guys do it all the time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inKOT47eiDQ

9. Apr 6, 2020 at 5:41 AM
    Shveet

Member:
    Own-tario
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR
    what should i do in this instance?
    amazoom seller is asking me to cancel the order "since they don't have it in stock"

upload_2020-4-6_8-38-21.jpg

since they sold out of their $33 stock cables overnight and only happen to have their $150 version in stock now
    upload_2020-4-6_8-37-19.jpg

i'm thinking

but only just thinking, that i might be their $33 stock went up $120 in price.
    but that's just a hunch.

Jokes aside, Do i tell him to suck on an egg and send me what they have or what?

10. Apr 6, 2020 at 5:58 AM
    tgelata

tgelata Well-unknown Member

Member:
    Probably at work.
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Crawler & 2008 Tacoma Daily
    Are the part numbers the same?

11. Apr 6, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    What a time to be alive!

DNqgv8prd_uTzPFzNoMZnkuZ6ofHpikvT5OdNAqE_2643065faa7c71c052cdf6685baf611098a85b2f.jpg

Snail81, Atlas86, llamasmurf and 7 others like this.
  12. Apr 6, 2020 at 6:04 AM
    Shveet

Member:
    Own-tario
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR
    upload_2020-4-6_9-2-25.jpg
    I don't have access to the item model number, But the ASIN (Amazon's Standard Identification Number) is the same. Selecting the link from the "your order" listing leads me to the same page as the $150 additional.

13. Apr 6, 2020 at 6:12 AM
    3JOH22A

3JOH22A Toyota Gigolo

Member:
    District 6ix
    Vehicle:
    3G Tacoma on 35"s, 5G 4Runner
    Another possibility is the seller jacked up the price to an unreasonable level to prevent people from buying. From what I read, if you place an order and the seller cancels it due to out of stock, the seller is severely penalized by Amazon. This is why we occasionally see $500 D-ring shackles listed, etc. What does this cable usually sell for elsewhere?

14. Apr 6, 2020 at 6:21 AM
    Shveet

Member:
    Own-tario
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR
    I know that's the usual for posting stuff up to insane numbers, I played enough MMOs with player driven markets to know how price gouging and economics works, so i'm fully aware the listing is higher in terms of price to act as a deterrent but to still let the seller hold their stuff online.

Wiring harness usually sells for around $40 or so when i last searched, what i picked it up for the $30 has zero reason to be out of the "ordinary". My assumptions is that because of the virus, it's either difficult for the seller to send the cable over the border or that the seller would lose money trying to send it and thus the increase and request for cancelation.

But in my case, i really don't feel like spending $150 for the same part for when society goes back to "normal" if it ever does

15. Apr 6, 2020 at 6:42 AM
    oldtoyotaguy

oldtoyotaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner ORP
    Stock but with a Warn 10s winch Used to be a lightly modded Tacoma
    I would just buy the parts and hardwire the light into the trucks panel Using one of the spare slots. OEM light switches are cheap, and the result looks factory. Unless there is a specific reason you need the wireless functionality of the kit.

16. Apr 6, 2020 at 6:51 AM
    Shveet

Member:
    Own-tario
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement DCSB TRD OR
    the reason i want to try out the wireless module is that apparently you can program the 3rd gen rear view mirror that contains the garage opener button system to work with this particular switch and system.

That way, instead of ripping out my entire dashboard to install a switch and have a wiring mess throughout the truck, i will simply have the wiring go between the battery and the back of the truck hopefully connected to the 2 spare pod lights that i have and using the rear-view mirror buttons to turn them on or off.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ToyotaTaco..._use_garage_door_button_to_turn_on_accessory/
    upload_2020-4-6_9-51-40.jpg

i don't 100% NEED this system to work any time soon, i figured to give it a shot and see how well it works. In the end, the idea is that it would work as a rear-firing work light

Now that i have these retina burning light bulbs, whenever i get one of those guys that feel the need to high beam me "BeCaUsE yOuR gOiNg ToO sLoW", just flick that flood light switch mounted in the rear view mirror and blind him for a minute and a half.
    Worse case scenario they go blind and they trade their big ass SUV for a seeing eye dog, they can take the bus for all i care.

daks and oldtoyotaguy[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:47 AM
    oldtoyotaguy

oldtoyotaguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 4 Runner ORP
    Stock but with a Warn 10s winch Used to be a lightly modded Tacoma
    Great idea, Shveet.

18. Apr 6, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    Windigo

Windigo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Farook
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Acess Cab
    I'm still in the garage stay tuned for pics to see happened when I tried to install 886 springs. Lol. Funny but not funny.....

19. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Please tell me you have access to a legit spring compressor and not the bolt clamp style. Or are you doing it “on the truck” method?

20. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    Windigo

Windigo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Farook
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Acess Cab
    Still running around but hold that thought.....

Products Discussed in

To Top