1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ontario BS Thread

Discussion in 'Ontario, Canada' started by tacoma16, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Apr 14, 2018 at 9:00 PM
    Canadianguy91

Canadianguy91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Krown undercoating, Protect a plate, blindspot mirrors, Reese stainless steel towing ball, Bakflip MX4 tonneau cover, Tufskinz tailgate letter inserts, Console organiser, Tinted windows, LED interiors, Bed lights, Hood lights, Black Canadian flag decal (@bfeth), Oem bed mat, WeatherTech floor liners, Arctic Claw XSI tires, Recovery Shackle, Ultimate LED turn signals V3 @mesojdm, OEM TRD Off-Road tow hook, Bilstein 5100's with ARB's Old Man Emu 2887 coils, ICON progressive add a leaf, General Grabber ATX tires, Fuel ripper rims, Auxbeam F-16 H11 Led headlights, Borla S-type catback exhaust with black tip, custom powertray, vinyl badge inlays, (@rrentrop), Rear diff breather mod, Redarc trailer break controller https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqN7m1pc6AA
    So far I'm leaning towards 5100 upfront with ome 887 coils. I was told this gives 2" of lift on a third gen but 3" on a second.
    That right guys?
    Also a add a leaf in the rear. Not sure which brand yet.
    Then wheels I'm still looking at more but currently have 265/65/17. Guys say stock they can up one size so if I do a 2" lift I should be able to go one up from there which is a total of 2 sizes over my current.
    Looking at 265/70/18. Don't know if I need a certain backspacing or anything tho

2. Apr 15, 2018 at 4:50 AM
    Therby

Therby Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitchener
    Vehicle:
    Jeep JL
    Still could go for a 255/85r16 on the stock rims. With some nice fox shocks, she would be a capable rig.

tacoma16[OP] likes this.
  3. Apr 15, 2018 at 5:11 AM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    I’m running the ome with the 886 coils and the Dakar’s with the add a lea in the rear. No idea what that gives me with skids and armour on.

I was going to do drawers but have decided to go with light plastic bins. Although the fridge is really heavy, my next trip is a month and getting ice and what not isn’t a option for a couple days. Sure I could pack differently, but for the price I paid I’ll sacrifice in the weight department. Other than that my next setup is going to be trying to keep weight as low as possible and off the cap. Also going through my stuff and getting rid of doubles (for some things like cooking utensils but not tools or spare parts). Other than that just being really careful of the weight I carry. Even my new bumper I tried to keep as light as possible. Think it is under 100 lbs compared to my old one which was like 150lbs.

Manfred, llamasmurf and Therby like this.
  4. Apr 15, 2018 at 5:52 AM
    Therby

Therby Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitchener
    Vehicle:
    Jeep JL
    I would do 5100. 885 coils and add a leaf. Thats what i was going to do, keep it simple amd cheap and gain some performance and fit 255/80r17

Everyone seems to be talking about the weight, really makig me reconsider my bed rack. It’s probably 70ish pounds. To hold max trax rotopax and shovel and axe. Considering ill never do a rtt, i should have built it with even smaller material, i think i used 2x2!steel for the main frame. Its very strong. I guess time will tell.

All my skids are done, 1/4” oil skid. 3/16 trans skid and 3/16 gas skid.
    All aluminum, probably only added 50-60lbs for all the skids
    Stupid weather, cant mount the gas skid yet, its unbelievable this snow ice.

Ordering a level kit for the truck and she should be ready to go by may.

You getting anything done on the truck in this weather?

llamasmurf and Norilsk like this.
  5. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:00 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Honestly I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Your 70lb rack is really nothing, Considering a cap weighs atleast 120-300lbs with nothing in it. Your skids again weigh nothing. My mid skid is about what all your skids weigh together. Since it has a 1/4inch c-channel to brace the thing since I bent it.

You have barely added 200lbs of weight between your rack and skids. That’s a person....

I think the whole thing is to be conscious of what you are adding. Some things are inevetiable like skids, bumpers and winches, tires even. However if you don’t need to bring that third set of this or an extra of that to shave a couple pounds here and here it is worth it.

I’m worried about it since I already broke shit because of being heavy (and bouncing up rocks ledges like a goof). Now with bigger tires and lockers I need to be extremely careful as things like axles and steering stuff can go boom.

For multi day trips you know what you need and you don’t need to bring for instance 80L of extra fuel to ardbeg, maybe 20L. But for the swisha loop some things need to be brought- fuel, water etc. Shit gets heavy. But if your as light as you can already be prior your helping yourself out.

6. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:04 AM
    Norilsk

Norilsk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    kanata
    Vehicle:
    DiRtY7s and bEyoNd!

She IS already capable and will go further than most guys with 285s on TW :burnrubber::bikewhoops:. Remember that drop Glen did at the beginning? I've done it without problems on 265s with a previous truck.
    Have you seen gas prices recently and what's coming our way? Plus I live in the city, that would be waste of tire tread & gas a lot.
    The only way I will do 255s is if I can run them as a separate set for just trails, but I've done that with BRO2s and hated changing them every weekend lol.

Like I said do 35-40s or go home.:sawzall::welder:
    qqewe.jpg
    fcdc.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  7. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:14 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Any upgraded tire will help in clearance. Even if it is just a bit it all helps. Half an inch can make the difference from being hung up on the diff and just making it over.

With that being said, for your line of work where you need to drive all the time I get where you are coming from. This year I didn’t even put 8k on the truck since September. So 35’s and what not are fine. Even to go to Newfoundland I’m cool with the highway miles on 35’s. When those gravel roads start the bigger tire will help roll over potholes better than a smaller tire. The gas mileage will destroy me though....

Plus if you are going to regear, you might as well regear so you can accommodate a bigger tire down the road which I have done.

llamasmurf and Therby like this.
  8. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:18 AM
    Norilsk

Norilsk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    kanata
    Vehicle:
    DiRtY7s and bEyoNd!
    Well, Black Loop is the hardest trail so far that I've done (according to 4WD clubs), and 265s did fine with a bit of rubbing the belly, so like I said I choose to rub the belly a bit more over all the troubles/extra gas. Plus those tires will be put to a use not every day, but only 30-60 days a year. So I am being rational here :D

I already have 4K kms since mid February when I picked up my truck lol.

tacoma16[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:20 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Agreed. No argument on the rational stands point.just comes done to the risk of damage. Some don’t want any of it so the rational is bigger tires make it worth it even for a couple trips a year. Others have the same as you, why waste the money for a couple trips a year.

Norilsk[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    Therby

Therby Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kitchener
    Vehicle:
    Jeep JL
    I think like this, im considering going for k2bros in a 285/75r17. Almost a 34.
    Already have 33s, the difference wil be minimal in fuel etc.
    I’ll be ditching the duratracs for something else before swisha loop.

Plus @Norilsk . I drive my truck for work also. Bought december 2nd. : just over 4 months now and rolling over 14000km so far. Almost 10000 on the duratracs already haha

11. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:45 AM
    llamasmurf

llamasmurf Herpa Derp

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Northern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 Matte Black TRD ACOR
    FJ t-case with twin sticks and some other things :D
    :popcorn:

I love the way the 33's made my truck look, along with the higher ground clearance and amazing traction they are going to supply. :cookiemonster:

Have almost 3k km on them, think I am going to rotate them today. :spy:

12. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:57 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Has the mileage changed much?

llamasmurf[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 15, 2018 at 7:07 AM
    bdbrown

bdbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 SWB DCSB MT
    lucky rocketship underpants
    I'm convinced my 33's put me in a better power range, and give better mileage than stock size.
    MT ftw.

tacoma16[OP], Therby and Manfred like this.
  14. Apr 15, 2018 at 7:09 AM
    Manfred

Manfred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manfred
    Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB
    All of them
    All the more reason to help me find what i need for lift. How do you like yours? ride change much?

AND YOU TOO HAVE AN ARB haha

Norilsk and tacoma16[OP] like this.
  15. Apr 15, 2018 at 7:30 AM
    bdbrown

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 SWB DCSB MT
    Manual has a bit more power, they geared it lower. With the stock tires it's kinda silly, 6th gear was too low for highway speeds. I can't speak for autos, never driven.
    But.. I love the 886s.. It's been a battle getting the rear to keep up, but recall leafs, skyjacker aal and supersprings give me an O.K. rake, and decent load capacity without bro-ing out.. cause I can never do it right the first try (do dakars).
    As far as shocks/struts, I have 5100s, which are too short in the rear (should have at least gotten extended travel version), but up front they seem to be okay.. I think you have more options than I did now, so look around.. They have been fine for me, but they do give an uneasy feeling.. That 886 is a hefty spring to be held in place by a paperclip.. I'd prefer a fixed bottom mounting plate than a circlip.

16. Apr 15, 2018 at 7:34 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    With my dakars I am going to be pairing them with the billy b110. 27” extended should be enough to keep up with the Dakar’s. They are relatively inexpensive compared to other options.

17. Apr 15, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    bdbrown

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 SWB DCSB MT
    I wish I had done this, and will be doing this before long.. I had all the information to make the right choice too.. So far the 5100s are in one piece, the boots got torn and don't stay seated, and there's a lot of oil from the passenger side.. once I actually start wheeling in ontario they won't last long

:anonymous:

tacoma16[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  18. Apr 15, 2018 at 7:47 AM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    could you just re adjust your bump stop to limit up travel? Or is it the down travel that is causing the issue?

Right now the nitro charger shocks are limiting my down travel with the dakars, and they are in good shape after about 90k km.

Are you running nitro chargers up front, or are you running the billies with the 886?

19. Apr 15, 2018 at 7:57 AM
    bdbrown

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 SWB DCSB MT
    bilstein 5100 front and rear... down travel is limited in the rear, would have to add a limiter strap to keep it from topping out... Hasn't really been an issue, but, northern alberta is a tame beast compared to NW ontario.. i see bilstein has a sale right now.. free shipping..

I need to replace the 5100 with b110 in the rear, extended brake lines that I scooped from a member in edmonton, and replace ebrake cables.. kinda very soon

886 + 5100 has been condemned on TW, but so far the combo has been strong for me, and I'm not sure what I'd rather have up there..

tacoma16[QUOTED][OP] and Norilsk like this.
  20. Apr 15, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    Manfred

Manfred Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manfred
    Great White North
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB
    All of them
    so a lot of talk with for the 886 because of the 660lbs vs the 885 with 590lbs
    as for the AAL vs leaf pack, ive heard that AAL is more of a bandaid solution, could it work better with a firestone airbag? i understand airbags arent the best for offroading applications though thoughts?

could i do 5110's in the rear?
    I wish i would have gotten a MT because i love to drive that way but Auto will work well on trails

Norilsk likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top