1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by spitdog, Apr 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 4, 2021 at 8:09 AM
    PiryongS

PiryongS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Some people like to assign attributes to the carrier as "wanting attention".

strider98 likes this.
  2. May 4, 2021 at 8:13 AM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 - 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear Icon RTX Stage 2 leafs Icon 700lb springs RSI Smartcap Evo Sport KDMax Pro tune BAMF Hybrid front bumper Warn VR EVO 10s winch ARB Rear Locker Revolution 5.29 regear RCI Engine Skid RCI Trans skid RCI Transfer case skid RCI Diff Skid RCI Cat guards RCI Rock sliders RCI roof rack R4T LCA Skids DRT Fabrication Hitch Skid Exhaust reroute ARB Dual Compressor w/ Slee Mount OR Black Fenders Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights Rigid D-SS Pro Ditch lights Rigid SR Amber PRO Edition 30” light bar Rigid SR-Q floods A/C drain mod Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount Liftd Gas cap holder Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Gecko shell lighting Ecological Bumper shells Fumoto valve Toyota aluminum oil filter cap DesertDoesit Seat Jackers Waterport Day Tank - Rago Fab bed mount Yakima Double Haul OVS 270 Awning Wet Okole seat covers Overland Equipped/Blueseas Bracket/fusebox Toyota OEM tailgate lock Rogue Offroad poly body mount bushings ZPrecision cup holders H9 headlight bulb upgrade Lambtek innovations winch switch
    These guys are clearly wanting attention and do more harm than good with the general public.....

[​IMG]

desertjunkie760 likes this.
  3. May 4, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    Eklectik78

Eklectik78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    1" level kit
    Manual transmission does not shift funky. Shifts just fine.
    You're comparing open carry to "my penis is tiny so I carry my AR to feel better..."

chuam[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 4, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    PiryongS

Member:
    :rofl:

5. May 4, 2021 at 8:23 AM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders

Spoke too soon:notsure:

6. May 4, 2021 at 8:32 AM
    PiryongS

Member:
    Shannon Watts and Moms Demand Action totally agree with you.

strider98 likes this.
  7. May 4, 2021 at 8:37 AM
    Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster Thread Derailer

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Dee Eff Dub
    Vehicle:
    Sport Crew represent

One more observation: I have met more than one firearms instructor that likes to push the narrative that the entire world is itching to break down your front door, every McDonald's and 7-11 now come equipped with an ambush shooter (free with every purchase), and hordes of people just cant wait to ram you off the road over a few drops of guzzoline.

Its easy to buy into that narrative, and some people certainly have. I might be a complete bastard, but I like to think that my view of society is slightly more optimistic than that.

:cookiemonster:

b_r_o, Thunder Fist, Fohu and 2 others like this.
  8. May 4, 2021 at 8:51 AM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 - 2.5 & UCAs front, Icon 2.0 rear Icon RTX Stage 2 leafs Icon 700lb springs RSI Smartcap Evo Sport KDMax Pro tune BAMF Hybrid front bumper Warn VR EVO 10s winch ARB Rear Locker Revolution 5.29 regear RCI Engine Skid RCI Trans skid RCI Transfer case skid RCI Diff Skid RCI Cat guards RCI Rock sliders RCI roof rack R4T LCA Skids DRT Fabrication Hitch Skid Exhaust reroute ARB Dual Compressor w/ Slee Mount OR Black Fenders Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro fog lights Rigid D-SS Pro Ditch lights Rigid SR Amber PRO Edition 30” light bar Rigid SR-Q floods A/C drain mod Differential Breather Mod Supralee Traction Board mount Liftd Gas cap holder Taco Garage DMM 2.0 Total Chaos bed stiffeners TRD SEMA Pro 17" wheels Falken Wildpeaks 275/70r17 TRD Pro Grill Gecko shell lighting Ecological Bumper shells Fumoto valve Toyota aluminum oil filter cap DesertDoesit Seat Jackers Waterport Day Tank - Rago Fab bed mount Yakima Double Haul OVS 270 Awning Wet Okole seat covers Overland Equipped/Blueseas Bracket/fusebox Toyota OEM tailgate lock Rogue Offroad poly body mount bushings ZPrecision cup holders H9 headlight bulb upgrade Lambtek innovations winch switch
    Most gun owners see the harm these guys are doing.

Fohu likes this.
  9. May 4, 2021 at 9:47 AM
    desertjunkie760

desertjunkie760 @DesertJunkie760 (IG)

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Check My Sig.
    Great thread! It did not steer quite the direction I had expected it to which is good because I have low expectations

To answer the original questions, every response by every individual is going to be situational and it's important to keep that in mind. For me, open carry is only acceptable in very specific situations, such as exploring remote areas of the wilderness where the greatest threat turns from two legged to four in most cases. In an urban environment, OC is not appropriate an attracts unwanted attention, especially in a defensive situation. IMO, the idea of becoming a deterrent does not outweigh the risk of becoming the primary target due to increased threat.

So concealed carry is more appropriate in most situations. That said, too many people who decide to carry a firearm for defense are vastly undertrained. That's not based on some law that was implemented by lawmaker who has little knowledge on what they're making laws about. This is from years of experience within the civilian/LEO sales & training industry. It's a very difficult conversation to have as there is a fine line between how you incentivize people to get training and become adequate, safe, firearms owners that can make decisions in a high stress environment and how you do so without having gov't intervention and regulation that infringes our rights.

Not "nuff said." There are many points to your post I agree with, such as efficiencies in manipulation, however there are many more variables to consider in these situations. Operation is only a small percentage. I don't know you or what you do for work, etc but judging by your posts and avatar, you're likely apart of a small percentage of people adequately trained in operation. Your statement ignores the complexities of the civil & criminal cases that will follow even a "good shoot." Even more so the financial and mental burden that would accompany such situation.

This doesn't include that training on operation of a firearm doesn't necessarily associate with make the decision making process in a high stress environment, which is arguably more important than being a good shooter and often overlooked.

Depends on what ordinance you're speaking about. I'm glad some other CA residence are in this thread. People in other parts of the country won't understand the context and limitations. We can go further into what the penal code does or does not specifically state, such as what the definition of "loaded" includes, however that's not the point of the discussion. It specifically states "unloaded."

Straight from the CA DOJ website. https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel

"HANDGUNS
    Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
    However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported."

I disagree. Gun owners are so divided depending on demographic that I don't believe this is an accurate statement.

chuam[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. May 4, 2021 at 10:52 AM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    The ordinance in question was about storage in the home for San Diego city and unloaded is not part of that ordinance. For transportation the above is correct.

While it's anecdotal at best and a small sample size the guys I hunt with frown upon the open carry of ARs into coffee shops as the reasoning is to stick it in the face of the general public. It's better to be a good ambassador for firearms, especially for those who don't own them or grew up with them. I've done a great job changing people's minds who were either mildly anti-gun or on the fence by showing them that I don't need to walk around the public with an AR, can be a responsible gun owner and explain why some of the regulations aren't going to do their intended purpose than to shove it in their face and scream, you can pry it from my cold dead hands.....

I'm 100% with you on that most don't train for the situation or the outcome after the trigger is pulled.

11. May 4, 2021 at 12:00 PM
    PiryongS

Member:
    Just like "Most gun owners believe in common sense gun laws".

strider98 likes this.
  12. May 4, 2021 at 12:54 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Plenty of my hunting and shooting buddies do.

13. May 4, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    desertjunkie760

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    Check My Sig.
    So you and your buddies of "Fudds?"

strider98 likes this.
  14. May 4, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    That's the attitude that hurts us with the general populace. If you can't see that then keep at it as more regulation comes down the pipe.

15. May 4, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    rtkbowhunter

rtkbowhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Quad Cab SR5
    Any discussions that revolve around the 2A, CCW or OC need to leave any reference to hunting out it. The FF's documented quite well in the Federalist papers the intent of the 2A. Pretty sure hunting was not mentioned.

Bless me Father for I have sinned, Virgin Mary, protect me from the mighty ban hammer, Holy Spirit guide thy keystrokes that I may not tresspass again. Amen.

strider98 and Scott B. like this.
  16. May 4, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    desertjunkie760

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle:
    Check My Sig.
    I wasn't talking to the general populace. I was asking you a question for the sake of the conversation. We can respectively disagree at any point. I don't need a "you're apart of the problem" line to do so.

I know where I stand on the topic and have done more than my fair share to educated others properly while continually building a variety of my own skills, while in the middle of one of the most strict states in the nation. Regulation has already happened and even more is coming and it's not me to blame.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    strider98 likes this.
  17. May 4, 2021 at 2:16 PM
    chuam

chuam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcus
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Maybe I took it wrong with the comment about "Fudds"

18. May 4, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    I agree they are doing more than good, but I bet it's more about making a statement. I wouldn't be surprised if they were coming from sort of demonstration and I'd put real money on that flag reading "Come and take them."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top