1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opening up my own business...tell me what you think!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BluTaco08, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    BluTaco08

BluTaco08 [OP] I LiKe TaCos

Member:
    Hey guys. I've been a member on the forum for a little while now, and I can honestly say that this is a forum that treats everybody with respect and helpful answers, with the exception of sometimes, but those few times are usually warranted. Some people are just idiots.... Anyway, I thought I'd share my throughts and plans for opening a business with you guys and get some feedback on it.

First of all, I'm 24 years old and a recent graduate of Florida State University (this past May). I've got my B.A. in English and Creative Writing, and a minor in Communications. I'm one of those people that loves to write, but I'm not the "out there" type of artist most people associate writers with. I'm a very down to earth, socialable person and I thouroghly enjoy working in an environment where interaction with people is very frequent. I've always been a leader, through scouts, church groups, in high school and music, as well as in college activities and clubs. I've always had a "go get 'em" attitude and when you tell me I can't do something it only motivates me to go do it.

Well, to make a long story short, I've been spending the last 5 months actively seeking a job, with no luck at all. I've had tons of interviews and I usually get the "We'll call you in a week with our decision," and then there's no call. Or I'm too qualified or not qualified enough. Well, I've grown very tired of this and with an economy in the state that ours is in, and our government more concerned with healthcare and undeserving peace prizes, I had a good idea about opening my own business.

I'm a writer. And I absoloutely love it. I also love business and the sales side of it, and I'm very good at it. So, I got to thinking...what is it that every business needs, but doesn't always have ? The answer ? A strong team of writers to handle press releases, newsletters, technical documents, advertisements, brochures, flyers, articles, etc. Well, I've got the skills and I've got the know how and I've got the experience so I'm going for it. The idea behind the business is to provide the client with whatever documentation they may need (a powerpoint for a presentation, charts or graphs for meetings, a newsletter telling about upcoming events, etc.) for a fair price. I'm purchasing a domain in a few days, the name of the website will be http://www.am-pws.com. AM are my initials and the 'pws' for 'professional writing services.'

I've done a lot of research and their aren't many competitors in my area or people that offer these kind of services, but plenty of people that want them. I plan to start out small, using the website to advertise and give insight into what I do, providing examples and samples of past work, tetimonials from clients, prices, rates, etc. I'm getting certified in Technical Writing in a month and I'm also taking some night classes and seminars on starting a business, financing one, planning for one, executing it, staffing, taxes, laws and regulations, etc. My plan is to learn as much as possible and get this business up and running within the next few years. I'll eventually need a team of people to help me, lawyers, contracts, etc. but for now it's in the planning stages. I've got a meeting with a retired committee of entrepeneurs on Monday and my classes begin on the 22nd.

So, let me know what you guys think. Please, don't doubt me because of my age, I'm so tired of people doing that. I understand this is something that isn't going to happen overnight, and there will be ups and downs, But, honestly, I'm good at what I do based on results and comments from former clients, and I have the willpower to succeed. It's always been a dream of mine to own my own business and right now, I've go nothing to loose and everything to gain. Thanks for your input guys!:D

2. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:22 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I think it is a great idea. You have your head on straight. Keep us updated.

3. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Go for it! :thumbsup: But never forget the ups and downs are going to happen and you're right, its NOT going to happen overnight.

It's nice to see that someone else likes to write...it's always, "I love math" from everybody...gets annoying.

4. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    And you're probably going to want to take some classes on how to design and create web pages. That way you can save money in the long run by updating and doing it yourself...

5. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Opposite out here. Everyone hates math.

6. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    As a self-employed freelancer (graphic designer), I'd give some advice here - but I'm on my 14 straight hour of work and heading for hours 15 and 16.

7. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:29 PM
    BluTaco08

Member:
    Good point! I forgot to mention I'm taking a few courses including, Writing Newsletters, Writing for Business, Marketing and Writing, and a 3 day webpage building class that shows you how from start to finish. Also, my sisters fiance is a computer wiz and has a lot of experience with webpages and HTML, so he's going to teach me a lot of what he knows.

8. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    BluTaco08

Member:
    Well, when you get some rest I'd love to hear your advice. I know the long hours...they suck. :frusty:

9. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Ya, I will chip in here at some point!
    It's been a great ride, don't think I would trade if for a "JAY - OH - BEE" !!!

10. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    Liam1234

Liam1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 DC, LB, TRD Sport, 4x4, Tow, Magnetic Grey
    Access Literider Tonneau Cover Auto Remote Start Nfab side steps
    BlueTaco08,

Based on the writing in your post and the confidence that comes off the page from your post I would say GO FOR IT. You will do well. Good Luck.

11. Oct 14, 2009 at 9:44 PM
    texasbowhunter

texasbowhunter Third Coast

Member:
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab 4x4 TRD
    Tinted Windows, Moto Metal 955's, Cooper 305/70/16 STT's, Deckplate Mod.,AFE Pro Dry, Toytec Coilovers, 2" AAL, Diff. Drop, Bilstein 5100's On the Corners, Alpine 10" Sub, Alpine 305 Head, Polk Mids
    Good Luck! I can tell you like to write by your opening statement.

12. Oct 14, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    Good Luck! I think it's great that you're stepping up and starting your own thing. I've had a business for a few years. If you believe in yourself then others will too. Also, as long as you learn from your mistakes (trust me you'll make a few) and put in your hours you'll be able to make it

13. Oct 14, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 My R6 Eats Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 6-Spd
    DO it man!!!

it takes a lot of time and capital...but dont let ppl bring you down cause of your age!!! im only 19 and i have my own business in Audio/Video Installation, both residential and commercial installations...if your dedicated and know what your doing then go for it!!

14. Oct 14, 2009 at 10:53 PM
    stanford86

stanford86 Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 2009
    Here in America you can achieve anything you set your best efforts to - as long as its prisoner, homelessness, or general infantry.

I'll play devil's advocate and say essentially you've described a copywriter. You're better off moving somewhere else or looking deeper into the job market - like writing weeklies and circulars for the local hospital or church. Many cities now staff public relation writers to draft community newsletters. If you have the wherewithal, start your own magazine. If there isn't a lot of competition in your area, there's not a lot of demand. Stick with technical writing. Sooner or later you have to put the books and classes behind and get on with the business of it all; focus on one thing - leave the rest to Kinkos.

15. Oct 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    BluTaco08

Member:
    The link to the website would be much apprecatiated. Perhaps I could shoot him an e-mail and ask him for pointers and experiences ? Thanks!

16. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    BluTaco08

Member:
    I apprecite your input and your honesty. However, what I've described is much more than a simple "copywriter." It's true that writing copy for companies is something that a lot of people do, but what I'm trying to do is generate documentation beyond the scope of just "the regular things" and provide all those services under one office.

What I mean, is that any company can find a service to write proposals or press releases, etc. etc. ...but usually those companies focus on one particular area of writing. Take technical writing for example...when I've done work for clients in the past it all pertains to the technical documents for the company and that's it. They have have to look elsewhere for other types of documents and usually, from my experience, that involves time and investigation at the expense of the company to find such services. Instead, I'm offering a service that incorporates everything you need under one roof so to speak. No more paying someone to seek out peole to do the work. My company will handle just about anything I'll be qualified to do...that's my spin on it.

And as for magazines and weeklies..well, I've spent some time in that industry and it's not something I really enjoy. There's just too many limitations as to what you can and can't do..and the fact of the matter of is most startup magazines fail within a year of their first published issue. As far as demand goes, I live in Sarasota, FL...a city that is vastly growing and filled with too many people, with too much money who are more than willing to use their money to gain business. I'm not looking for a multimillion dollar company...my focus is on the smaller companies.

17. Oct 15, 2009 at 2:06 PM
    BluTaco08

Member:
    I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to everyone for their comments and support. This is something I have always wanted to do, and no matter what it takes, I will succeed. I'll keep everyone updated as to how the planning in progressing and we'll go from there. Thanks for all the kind words everybody!!!!!:)

18. Oct 15, 2009 at 6:20 PM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Let me give you some advice...

Just start a blog and use wordpress. It's no serious CMS but you'll cross that bridge when you come to it. What you need is brochure site, you can be up and running in no time with some decent themeing and wordpress.

I'm no graphic designer and I don't design webpages for a living. Just my $.02

Also I wanted to become a technical writer but pursued IT for the money. My real love (writing) is somewhat dead but I always dreamed of doing that.

19. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    The nice thing about the line of work you're pursuing is that it requires comparatively little $$ to get up and running. With the web/design experience you mentioned and the writing skills you already have you'll have a viable product and marketing outlet for next to nothing. Well, except for school debt :D

20. Oct 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    jwhelan

jwhelan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JW
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Silver
    TRD PreRunner, 5100's on all four fronts @ 1.75, AAL, SP performance rotors, hawk pads, 17" FJ Cruiser wheels P/C black, 265/65/17 BFGR Rugged Trails, BHLM , painted grill, blacked out emblems
    You need to do this.

Products Discussed in

To Top