1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Operating Temperature??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MAXTacoma, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Jul 27, 2010 at 11:54 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    That sounds like a properly working truck to me. I would not be concerned unless it gets hotter under the same conditions. Use what you just experienced as your baseline.

The stock gauges are designed not to move until you have a problem. If the gauge actually moved everytime you climbed a hill, people would be down at the dealerships bitching constantly. I had both a stock gauge and and aftermarket gauge on a previous truck. The aftermarket gauge actually showed the thermostat opening and closing within a 5 degree range. Stock gauge stayed in the same spot until temp went up from 190 to 210.

A bit off topic: Ford actually had a service bulletin for their trucks when people complained of fluctuating oil pressure. The technician was to verify oil pressure was within specs. Minimum pressure at idle is only like, 6psi. If they had 6 psi, the stock gauge sender was replaced with one for an idiot light system and a resistor was wired inline. The result: any time the engine has at least 6psi of pressure, the gauge reads 2/3. The customer has a warm fuzzy feeling now that their gauge is "fixed". All the subsequent trucks came from the factory with the "fixed" gauge setup.

2. Jul 28, 2010 at 4:54 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Max cargo capacity is around 1200 lbs (passengers included), max towing with tow package is 6000 lbs. I have yet to find out what the max combined weight rating is, but I know it's less than the max individual ratings.
    You guys going over your capacities are just begging for a failure.

3. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    Max towing is 6500 lbs w/ the tow package, I am within my limits.

4. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:12 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

I agree with joe. My SGII water temp reading will vary from 170F to 195F depending on the load and the OEM gauge will remain in the middle and not move.
    I do wish I could get the SGII to read my auto trans oil temp.

5. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:14 AM
    MAXTacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    x2 on the auto trans. temp.

6. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Are there any aux inputs for the SG or does it just plug into OBD port? I haven't messed with one yet.

7. Jul 28, 2010 at 5:33 AM
    MAXTacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    It just plugs in.

Products Discussed in

To Top