1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Operation Lifesaver Stepping up!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Drewster, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Oct 24, 2008 at 12:41 AM
    Drewster

Drewster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09' Pyrite Mica V6 TRD Off-Road
    BugDeflectorII, Tube Steps
    As a Conductor for the Railroad i thought i would spread the world to all you fellow Tacoma guys. In case you don't know what Operation Lifesaver is, it's a program to educate and reduce the amounts of injuries and fatalities in Railroad related incidents involving the public. The recent raise in fatalities at RR Crossings will have Operation Lifesaver stepping up with law enforcement to educate and discipline those who ignore these traffic laws. In some states police have been issuing $100-$500 fines for people to race in front of trains. So here is some advice.
    Trains are Long, heavy, fast, and Suprisingly QUIET. Average train weighs around 1000-5000 tons and 1/2 to a mile long, a average freight train takes about 2-3 miles to completely stop at full speed. Here are a of couple life saving tips :
    Slow or Stop at Railroad crossings that are not protected by Lights and gates. At crossings that just have Stop signs, DON'T California Stop, STOP Completely Look both ways and continue on your way, it will only take you a couple of seconds
    At Crossing Protected Crossings, When the Lights and Bells activate, Stop, Don't race across the tracks.
    NEVER go around the lowered gates, EVER!
    NEVER stop on the middle of the tracks, if you don't feel like you can fit, it's ok to have a Car length between you and the car infront, you can always make up that car length when you get back on your way
    If you are walking around the Railroad tracks, NEVER walk down the middle of the tracks, trains can be very quiet and the Crew won't always see you. When you cross the tracks look both ways and listen for train horns or any noise. This may sound obvious, But don't have your hearing obstructed when you cross the tracks, you NEED to be able to hear for trains, Remember Those lights and bells at road crossing aren't just for cars, they are for EVERYONE!
    Remember, I can Guarantee you the Train will NOT STOP if you don't be carefull around the tracks, trust me i know ;)

Please be safe around the Railroads guys, Remember to Stop, Look, Listen and most of all LIVE! I would hate to see Your life and your truck Shattered.

It Won't Kill you to be a little late, But it WILL Kill you if you don't stop and Wait.

2. Oct 24, 2008 at 4:17 AM
    WoadWunner

WoadWunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Bridgetown, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    17 Accesscab TRD Offroad Inferno
    Tonneau Cover, Devils Horns on the way, Blackened Grill, LED Low beams and Fogs, weathertecs
    Great Advice Man. It is always better to be safe then sorry.

3. Oct 24, 2008 at 4:43 AM
    coppert

coppert Mall Krawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    It interesting that you post this, because just yesterday on my way back to the office from lunch 8 out of the 10 local Motorcycle Officers were "set-up" by one of the light rail crossings. They were handing out tickets, in the 2 minutes or so that I waited for the train to pass they stopped 4 cars for not stopping before the markings on the road.

4. Oct 24, 2008 at 4:49 AM
    taconinja

taconinja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    08 Base 4X4
    In my plan, all trains would have missile defense systems to clear the upcoming track of any and all obstacles. The key to these MDSs would be kept in a lock box...

But seriously good advice. And I think it is a good thing that police are enforcing this. The dynamics of a train-auto wreck are mind-blowing. There are a lot of idiots out there who cheat death and jeopardize the lives of innocents.

5. Oct 24, 2008 at 10:30 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Awesome post man!!

6. Oct 24, 2008 at 10:57 AM
    gtz85350

gtz85350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    good post man!

7. Oct 24, 2008 at 12:32 PM
    Radelix

Radelix Runs with Scissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    17 trdor dcsb 6mt
    Hmm, not going around lowered gates. Kinda tough to not do when you see both trains on both tracks at full stop on either side they won't deactivate the gates and that is you only path to your house. but example is unique.

dont run gates

8. Oct 24, 2008 at 10:32 PM
    Drewster

Drewster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    09' Pyrite Mica V6 TRD Off-Road
    BugDeflectorII, Tube Steps
    Thanks guys, it's sad how ignorant people can be when it comes to this, i see it everyday and i have too many "close call" stories it's a matter of time when i close the deal. Just yesterday a Lady stopped her car hood under the gate, when we came up to the crossing the gate came down and she didn't move, she would have been fine where she was, but at the last second, and i Kid you Not, within 25ft of her, she decided to bolt out in front of us, the gate slid over her car and she just went for it, we literally missed hitting her by maybe 10ft, and thats just one of the stories i have. I am Really glad the police are cracking down, it's getting bad, people get more impatient and ignorant it seems everyday, Respect the trains, because thousands of tons of heavy steel won't respect you.;)

Products Discussed in

To Top