1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinion Needed: Terra Grappler, Discoverer STT, or Duratrac?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MJonAgs32, Dec 31, 2010.

?

TWhich tire?

1. Nitto Terra Grappler

152 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Cooper Discoverer STT

86 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

235 vote(s)
    49.7%
  1. Mar 14, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    Hollywood

Hollywood Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DC LB
    I have run BFG All terrain's almost exclusively simply because an old neighbor supplied them at a discounted rate, good grip but they were loud and didn't last more than 35k. I've heard great things regarding the Hankook DyanPro ATM's. I would be looking for the Hankook's or the Dura's.

2. Sep 10, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    MJonAgs32

MJonAgs32 [OP] asphinctersayswhat?

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 Mid-Travel 4x4 DCSB 6spd
    check out my build
    Just thought I'd update this thread.

I was set on getting NTG again bc of how many miles I got off of them, but I got a GREAT deal on some BFG TA KOs, $675 OTD for the set (285/75/16) and finally swapped out the NTG. There was 5/32s on all 4 Nittos and had them for a total of 75k. I'd recommend them to anyone.

After a few thousand miles, I'll have a really good comparison of the NTG vs. the BFG TA KOs

3. Sep 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    08 doublecab 4x4
    TRD FJ Cruiser Wheels, Mickey Thompson STZ's 265 75 16s, Tinted glass, Undercover bed cover, Exact Fit Endura Seat Covers Front & Rear Husky Liners
    I have had the Bridgestone Dueler a/t's for about 47k they have been pretty good but they are worn out and I will have to purchase new tires before winter. I am thinking about the NTG's but don't know anyone personally who has them. I like the look but I am more interested in the function of the tires. I cross 2 mountains everyday even in the winter and they can get pretty hairy. The Duelers have done a good job keeping me on the road. I also like to off road a little. How are the NTG's in the snow and mud?

4. Sep 25, 2011 at 2:33 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 GO VOLS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    hey OP not trying to jack you’r thread. but i have 30’700 or so miles on my stock rugged fails. and i think they are around 20% tread left but idk anything about % of tread life so. i am kinda wanted to get read of them before winter since i keep reading they suck in snow. how are the terra graps in snow? so you have been in snow some. and how about light off roading? we don’t get snow much and it don’t last but a day usually but i live on a hill and drive way is kinda steep.

5. Oct 26, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    Sport11

Sport11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kingsport, TN
    Vehicle:
    Dodge Ram 1500
    Terra Grapplers

6. Nov 3, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    LOWLO7

LOWLO7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Bakersfield, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 lifted, white tacoma
    6" Fabtech lift, 17" Moto Metal rims, 33" Nitto tires [grille coming soon]
    Just bought new tires, mine are really bald! Got the Nitto Terra Grapplers again, out the door was $1050. OUCH! :pout:

7. Nov 3, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    I have the Cooper STT and I love them. Great tires. And I dont get chunking like some people say they got

8. Jan 8, 2012 at 5:44 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    But SO worth it.

9. Jan 8, 2012 at 5:50 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    08 doublecab 4x4
    TRD FJ Cruiser Wheels, Mickey Thompson STZ's 265 75 16s, Tinted glass, Undercover bed cover, Exact Fit Endura Seat Covers Front & Rear Husky Liners
    I ended up going with The BFG A/T's. I got a deal I couldn't pass up. $860 installed.

10. Jan 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    magic

magic Well-Known Member

Member:
    i love the shit out off these! i have the 285/75/16 on my first gen setup and i drive about 50 miles a day 5 days a week and they do great. only think that has stoped me was deep wet snow because mine are roughly 11.5" wide which is pretty wide for wet snow. Mud they do great because they are a very aggressive a/t but i do really good because i have possi-traction in the rear. Does every 1st gen 4x4 have possi-traction in the rear?

11. Jan 10, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    magic

magic Well-Known Member

Member:
    You dont even what to know what i payed for my FAlken Wild Peak. 745.oo installed and they are more aggresive then those terra grapplers but still an a/t

12. Jan 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    im on my second set of revo 2s my first set on my 06 lasted almost 65k and the current have 30k on them and look new. not a bad price either anymore

13. Jan 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    StatutoryAPE

StatutoryAPE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Phoenix,AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner xtracab
    TRD Headers,CAI, dynomax super turbo, blacked out headlights, Smoked LED tails, Billy 5100 w/OME 881's and 5125's in rear, rear tube bumper, tint 35% front 3 windows & 5% in rear 3. fiberwerx 4.5's
    I got My falkens a year ago. I drive about 75 miles a day, 5 days a week. They are still very quiet. they have worked very well in the desert, some mud and when going camping. I have to keep them rotated every oil change tho or else they start to wear funny, but thats gunna happen to almost any AT or MT tire.

[​IMG]

14. Jan 11, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    OP I have the terra grapplers also Same size as well. they are great for on road and slight Offroad use and use on dirt roads. But From personal experience I wouldn't trust them on a full day Offroad trip where you beat on them. I Offroad light every day to work about 1 mile each way to and from work on just some dirt roads and they are wonderful. The first time I went on an Offroad trip through the Mojave I got a flat tire from a small bush entering my sidewall. My suggestion is if you are offloading enough where you have to air down your tires I'd go for a beefier tire. Hence the reason I am switching because I Offroad more frequently.

15. Jan 11, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    jestanislaw

jestanislaw Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 4x4
    I am a former Discount Tire sales Mgr. and if you can get the Cooper STT Tek3's I would go that route. DuraTracs look great but do not perform well in wet road scenarios. Nitto also makes a new DuraGrappler you could check out. Unfortunately Michelin doesnt make anything that aggressive b/c they own BFG, but if they did they would probably be the best. Once again, check out the Cooper STT Tek's.

16. Jan 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans displaced viking living in New Hampshire

Member:
    First Name:
    hans
    THE LIVE FREE OR DIE STATE
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma reg cab 4x4 5spd 4cyl
    undercover se, pop&lock tailgate, rallye 1000 hela black magic lights, black grill craft grill lower. twm m1 abrams shift knob, ap ubolt flip kit & ifs high clearance skid , timbren bumpstops, pro comp 3 inch lift, goodrich ss braklines front and rear, lr uca's, customlightz.com fx-r 55 watt retrofit, ARB deluxe bull bar, vision-x solstice pods, black wet okole seat cover,weather tech digital floor mats window visors toyota hood guard, safari snorkel, full bed rug, full putco led swap hd led flasher cf18-08, pioneer bluetooth ipod navigation double din headunit, flowmaster 40 muffler custom center outlet exhaust, regear and arb lockers, arb rear bumper if they ever fucking release one lol and arb sliders coming soon as well as a new line-xtra paint job!
    i had duratracs loved mine unstoppable in snow and wintery conditions.
    the only negative thing is they wander a bit on the highway at least to me it felt that way.

i don't know anything about the stt except they are molded extremely similar to the mickey thompson mtz which is one of the best tires you buy. plus the coopers look seriously bad ass i really want to try a set in 295's.

i don't know about the terra grappler but my trial graps are pretty great tires i have absolutely no complaints yet. i have not had them in deep snow yet though so no experience with that. they will probably be a horrible tire on sand though i just can't see them being very good there at all.

my .02

17. Jan 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    Yes they are horrible in sand lol. I have beadlocks and and was aired down to 15psi and they were all over the place in the sand!

18. Jan 31, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

They clean mud phenomenally. They're factory siped so they have better than average traction in wet and cold conditions. And as was said...They look amazing.

19. Feb 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    X2

20. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    ItalianStallion13

ItalianStallion13 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Salvatore
    Abilene TX
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 PreRunner
    What kind of wheels are those?

To Top