1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinion on a purchase

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AFKC, May 31, 2012.

1. May 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    AFKC

AFKC [OP] Active Member

Member:
    KC, MO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Supercharged
    Hi,

Wanted to get your opinion on a possible purchase. I currently have an 01 tacoma 4x4 supercharged that I have owned since new. It now has 130k miles on it so I was thinking about getting a newer one. Was going to get a crew cab 4x4.

My question is...It looks like I can get a new 2012 base model for about the same price as an 09-11 with 20k-30k miles (with better options/not base models). So were there any great changes made in 2012 compared to 2009-2011?

Was thinking about just buying the new one and making it the way I like it. My current truck has ARB bumper/warn winch, wheels/ties, 2 inch lift, and as mentioned above a supercharger. I would want to put a supercharger on the new one as well.

Thanks for your input!

2. May 31, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    The 2012's received a minor facelift. Search a little and you'll find the answers.

3. May 31, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    evanwile

evanwile Canadian Pomp

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 6M
    I guess you have to look at the pros and cons of the purchase, and how much money you want to spend, among other factors.. which if it were me, would be as follows:

Is your current truck paid off?
    Is your current truck causing you problems?
    Why do you want a new truck?
    Is money a factor?
    Are you going to build your NEW truck to the have the SAME mods as your OLD truck?

When I bought my 09 this year it was 12k less than a new one of the same trim. Mind you it had 60,000kms on it, but had all maintenence documentation and was in pristine condition.. but i couldnt justify the 12k (plus taxes) extra for the same truck with a minor facelift. With that being said, if money wasnt a factor i would have loved to have a brand new truck!!

It all comes down to what YOU will be satisfied with and what you want. Don't settle for something that isn't want you want whether that be trim level or year.

Good luck!

4. May 31, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    I have read multiple threads referring to the inability to put a supercharger on a 2012. Other than a facelift and some interior styling tweaks, the 2012's switched from using an EGR valve to using a powered air pump for emissions control (I over-simplified this, someone with more knowledge can expand on it if they want). There seems to be confusion on if this actually affects the supercharger or not.

5. May 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    2012's interior is redesigned, esp the radio. Also has USB/AUX jacks as well as bluetooth handsfree. Trailer Sway Control is new as well, but it all depends on what you're looking for. One thing about buying new is you get the warranty and free oil changes/tire rotations for 2yrs or 25k miles

6. May 31, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    jtgroce

jtgroce Got R Did

Member:
    In the Foothills, NC
    Vehicle:
    '12 Taco MGM TRD Off Road
    K&N Air Filter Husky Floor Liners Weathertech Vent Visors LED Map/Dome Light Mod Chrome Door Handles AVS Bugshield Bed Mat Fog Light Anytime Mod DTRL LED's Flowmaster Super 40
    ahhh, well it prolly don't have bluetooth, but it might have the radio.

7. May 31, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    The Supercharger fit kit is alive and well, there are several members with the TRD SCs on their 2012s.

8. May 31, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    aptech

aptech Jetfixer

Member:
    houston
    Vehicle:
    10 dc offroad
    toy teccoil overs 2.5 lift.600lb springs, allpro expedition leaf pack. cbi hybrid bumper, cbi slider,cbi rear bumper swing arm, roof rack ghostflames, sport hood, tsb steering, trd cai, red map lights, derp works custom platform for bed. backup cam any time mod, fog light any time mod. bed light mod. 400watt inverter mod. 2857516 dura tracs. beach sand intsall and a lot more shite
    good advice dont buy new just cause. put the money in a ira and you'll be happier later

9. May 31, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Good to know! Thanks for the update.

10. May 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM
    tacoma.nut

tacoma.nut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beeb
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRDsport,LB,4by4
    Here is my 2 cents for what it is worth. My first toy was a used 1969 Hilux, 4 cyl. manual. lights mounted on hood. (Imported to U.S without lights and they were mounted at dealer's places) Bought in 1972. I loved it so much I bought a new 1973, 4 cyl., auto, bucket seats. Drove to and from Canada numerous times from Cali. Loved it. Then I continued to buy new, till the present. I had a 2008 Tundra, thought I would try the new Tacoma's. I thought maybe a new SR5. Then the new TRD. But the new TRD was expensive. Could not rationalized the purchase. 3 Dealers had identical used TRD's, for the same price. I bought the one with 4k on it. TRD sport, LB. lots of stuff. for 29,600.00. I go back and forth every morning and think maybe I should have spent the extra loot for a brand new one. I really don't care for the cheap plastic look on the stereo on the new TRD.. I had that black plastic on my Tundra. I still think..maybe I shoulda bought a new one, and dealt with the black plastic later. Bottom line, if u can afford the new truck, buy it. You keep your trucks long enough that a new is well worth it to you. I have never felt this way about a my Toyota's.

11. May 31, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    No problem :).

Only thing left to trump is an aftermarket intake...

12. May 31, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    AFKC

AFKC [OP] Active Member

Member:
    KC, MO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Supercharged
    Guys, thanks for all the input! A couple of you mentioned keeping my current truck. That has actually been my struggle over the past few years. Every time I go test drive one I decide to keep my current one. The supercharger makes a hell of a difference in the way it drives. My current truck is also a stick which I love. I have gone through 6 sports cars since owning this truck, and it has been my daily driver since 01. Now i live very close to work so I don't put very many miles on it all any more and find myself driving my car more. The reason I am strongly considering buying a new one is I don't want to deal with a major expense if something were to go wrong with the supercharger/motor.

Again, thank you for your input! All very good points...actually I am now leaning more toward just keeping my current truck! Here is a pic of my current truck...

IMGP7119.jpg

13. Jun 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    evanwile

evanwile Canadian Pomp

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport 6M
    Sounds like you've made up your mind!

You mentioned that your biggest motivator for buying new is a major repair on your current truck. Just to play devils advocate here a bit.. lets say you buy a new truck. How much more is that going to run you?

For ease of calculation lets say that you finance the new one and have payments of 400$ a month. Your annual ownership cost (with free oil changes etc) is going to be $4800 plus your supercharger package.. so in your first year youre looking at about $7500 (no other expenses considered you will still have those with your current truck, fuel, insurance etc)

Now on the flipside with your current truck, is your annual ownership cost (maintenance etc) going to be over $4800? Probably not. In the unlikely event that your current motor gives, or you have an issue with your supercharger how far will $4800 get you?

You also mentioned you have a sports car that you drive.. so being without a vehicle isnt a huge concern.

I say, better the Devil you know than the Devil you don't. Keep the truck. My .02

Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top