1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinion on green HIDs?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by tjwomble93, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Oct 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler REBELTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Total Chaos 3.5" LT kit, King remote resi 8x2.5 coilovers, Glassworks Unlimited fiberglass fenders and bedsides, Icon resi rears, All Pro Expo leaf pack, Wheeler's super bumps, drop in AFE Pro Dry-S, Aero-Turbine 2525XL Muffler, Spidertrax, Rigid Industries Dually Amber Floods, rock lights, Strobe amber/white dust lights, bushwhacker fender flares, CB and HAM radios, Pelfreybilt Off Road front three hoop bumper, All-Pro APEX kickout sliders, CBI Trail Rider rear bumper, Tres Tacos LED rock lights, 50" LED Light Bar,
  3. Oct 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    pbm317

pbm317 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stick to 4300-5000k, there's a reason (highest light output) why the OEM's use that temperature.

4. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM
    tjwomble93

tjwomble93 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner XSP
    35% tint front 5% rear, carbon fiber interior, pioneer touchscreen head unit, borla intake and exhaust, kicker tweeters
    Thanks for the feedback.. I'll have to look further into the laws and quality. If I can't find some decent green ones I'll probably go with 8000k..

I don't really understand the hostility towards light green but not light blue.. It's just not normal haha

5. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler REBELTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Total Chaos 3.5" LT kit, King remote resi 8x2.5 coilovers, Glassworks Unlimited fiberglass fenders and bedsides, Icon resi rears, All Pro Expo leaf pack, Wheeler's super bumps, drop in AFE Pro Dry-S, Aero-Turbine 2525XL Muffler, Spidertrax, Rigid Industries Dually Amber Floods, rock lights, Strobe amber/white dust lights, bushwhacker fender flares, CB and HAM radios, Pelfreybilt Off Road front three hoop bumper, All-Pro APEX kickout sliders, CBI Trail Rider rear bumper, Tres Tacos LED rock lights, 50" LED Light Bar,
    It comes down to what's more important to you...the color of your headlights, or being able to see something down the road to avoid hitting it and causing damage to yourself, your car or other people and their property.

8000k is pretty blue...and visibility is impaired. You'll like one of those big Chevy UFO's flying down the highway blinding everybody in their path. I will never go over 6000k, and that's pushing it. 4300k gives you optimum visibility, with a clean white look.

6. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Green doesn't give any light output what so ever... So it's just for looks not for functionality... If I was A cop, i'd be pulling motorist over for green, pink, even Blue HIDs...

7. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    TW is so subtle on these subjects. I can't tell if people are for or against it! :rolleyes:

8. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    Twiostaco

Twiostaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 White DC TRD Sport
    5100's front set to .85 w/eibach springs, 5100 rear w/toytec 2"AAL, Light Race UCA, 17" Black Rhino Ocotillo wheels, 265/70/17 Duratracs, K&N drop in filter, Grill Craft front mesh, one piece driveshaft (vibes gone) rear diff breather mod, BHLM, Fog anytime, 886 reverse bulbs.
    Booooo don't do it! Don't ruin your visibility and your truck.... Maybe you should trade in your Tacoma and get a Civic. That's the only vehicles around here with obnoxious headlights. If you do decide to post pics so we can flame you!

9. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    tjwomble93

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner XSP
    35% tint front 5% rear, carbon fiber interior, pioneer touchscreen head unit, borla intake and exhaust, kicker tweeters
    Honesty if I only wanted functionality I'd be driving a Prius.. And my buddy has 8000k on his truck and his visibility is better than mine.

I'd like to know from people who have actually been in a car with pale green high output headlights.. It seems like most of these statements are subjective

10. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler REBELTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    I have friends with 8000 and 10000k, driven their cars, I drove a car with 6000k for 5 years, and now I have 4300k...all 35 watt ballasts. And I'm telling you, 4300k has the best output. And if you're planning on doing these with reflector housings, be prepared to get some middle fingers.

And comparing your buddies 8000k to your halogens is comparing apples to oranges. Completely different bulb...

11. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    They look neat but the output is crappy.

If you do this, get a set just for show.

Also it is a cop magnet.

12. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
    those two hours were ridiculous. even he said he never drives that much at night, but we had a way to go.

output is complete shit.
    his were 55k greens. doesnt matter if it's "high output". Even if you get a "high output" blacklight, you still cant see shit. Same general concept.

I used to run 8000k's too, even that was bad at night in the rain.

Unless you want a cop magnet, just like everyone else said, just stick to 4300-6000k (I run 6000k's now)

Trust me, the whole "look at how cool my headlights are" thing wears off quick when you need to use them often

13. Oct 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    This is only time I'll ever advise someone to listen to their girlfriend. . .

14. Oct 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    tjwomble93

Member:
    First Name:
    Tate
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner XSP
    Well if the output in green bulbs is bad then that'd be stupid to buy, that's why I was asking. Thanks for the info.
    But in response to the The Traveler I'd never get halogens.. just HIDs.
    I still think a pale green would look good on the right truck. It looked sick on this Monster Energy truck.

15. Oct 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM
    Vaquero13

Vaquero13 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Grayslake, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 double cab
    Don't do it I hate that asshole on the road that blinds me with his neon blue headlights

16. Oct 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler REBELTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Yes I've seen it, in fact, a friend of mine is the driver for one of their Chevy 2500's with green and black all over it. The fact is, that's a show car. It's meant to draw attention so you buy their energy drink...and IMHO, it's not practical for a daily driver. If your truck is a show truck, by all means...go for it...but if not, I'd advise against it.

17. Oct 3, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    HawaiiTRD

HawaiiTRD "Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Morimoto Mini D2S Retrofit HL, HID Fogs, LED Interior Dome and Map Lights, 35% Front Tint and 10% Rear, PL8521 Power Tailgate Lock, Wet Okole Seat/Dash/Center Console Covers and Floor Liner, AntennaX 14" Billet, Satoshi Grill, Plasti-Dipped Wheels & Valence
    Here's what u do: go to the retrofit source and by a complete set from them. They have 4300, 5000, and 6000 Kelvin bulbs, all three are optimum. If you really want green than put them in your fogs and do the fog anytime mod to use during the day and for show with your buddies. Don't be the guy that's blinding the heck out of everyone, nobody likes him. Hope this helps :)

18. Oct 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    No, not subjective. People have extensive knowledge of HID's. I've had and been around all different kinds before. Sure 8k seems like better visibility than your stockers, and yea they are brighter. But compare it to a 4300k or 5000k kit and it's no comparison. Green will give terrible output, not only in brightness and the fact it's going to kill your eyes. The more blue and purple you go, the more it fatigues your eyes, and green is just going to look annoying. There are plenty of ways to look "cool" that don't involve reducing the functionality of something as important as headlights. Unless you're making a show truck that's never going to see street use, it's a stupid mod to do.

Not to mention green isn't remotely legal and you're just going to be wasting money. Any HID you put in is going to be technically illegal, however with non-obnoxious colors you generally aren't going to run into any issues. But green, you might as well just pull over and wave down a cop to give you a ticket. 4300k-6000k are always going to be the most ideal. Sure they don't scream "hey look at me!" but they're going to be the most functional for you as a driver and the least annoying to the people you're driving towards. Once you're over 6000k the higher you go you're dramatically losing lumen output.

As far as people being "hostile" as you browse around more you'll see that the majority here are against annoyingly colored HID's and HID's in halogen reflector housings as separate issues. Since you want to get annoying colored onces AND put them in a reflector housing this is the type of reaction you'd get. Frankly I'm surprised the shit storm isn't worse lol.

19. Oct 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I would never give someone advice to go green HID. Stick to the 4-6000k HID. Do as your girlfriend says. Just don't tell people that she gave you advice not too. If you do, it's all downhill from there lol.

20. Oct 3, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    Casey05Taco

Casey05Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Penngrove, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner
    trd seat covers, bed mat, tinted windows, debadged, mud flaps removed, tinted tails, blacked out center console, Black Rims, 6000k HID in highs and fogs, blacked out front emblem, Pioneer AVH-4300DVD, Gauge Cluster, lower valence, retrofitted, audio system, Maxtrac Spindles, Billies
    Can somebody pleade post that haaaaa gayyyyyyy seal picture.

To Top