1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions? I hate Jöggers in the Bike Lane

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Officers' started by Benson X, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] ...and we're back!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Debadged, Black Toyota Emblem, TRD Emblem, Tint, Leer 100XL w/ Thule Tracker II rails, aFe Stage II Si Pro Dry-S CAI, aFe Mach Power 3" cat-back exhaust, Doug Thorley Y-Pipe, Bedmat, Weathertech liners, Weathertech window vents, Redline Hood Struts, 12v Anytime Mod, Maglight Mod, FOB/Seatbelt Mod, Rear Diff. Breather Mod, OEM Heated Mirrors Mod, OME 886 Coils w/ 90k Nitro Shocks up front, OME N182 Shocks with Dakars and a D29XL AAL in back, Light Racing UCAs, 1/2" Toytec Front Spacers, swaybar delete Mod, (4) 1" BORA Wheel Spacers, 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R (originals), hidden Cobra 19DX IV w/ 4' Firestik on a Relentless Mount, custom Sliders, ARB Bumper, Warn VR-8000s w/ Syn. line, custom Tool/Hi-Lift mounts, custom Engine Bay and Winch-area LEDs, csJumper interior LEDs, custom TRD Skull Decal, 10" SeeLite LED light-bar custom mounted in the grille, custom Front & Mid skidplate, Garmin 60CSX GPS w/ RAM mounts....RAN OUT OF
    I live in a nice residential area, and have been there for almost 4 years. It is a new(ish) development targeted towards the middle-class, military families, and also a large retirement community nearby. There are numerous commercial warehouses near the beginning of the road as well.

There are nice 4ft. wide sidewalks and a bike lane on each side of the road. The road is a 40mph 4-lane road with some curves and a median in the middle (separating the oncoming lanes).

This is what pisses me off:

There are an abundance of joggers in the area, which is great; jog away you granola eating vegans :D. BUT, they refuse to get on the f*cking sidewalk! They feel entitled to jog in the bike lane! 1 or 2 I get, avoiding a baby stroller or a bunch of dogs? Sure hop in the bike lane real quick, but then get back on the sidewalk (it's there for a reason, just like the bike lane). This isn't a once a week thing either. I see at least 10 people a day doing this shit! :mad:

I have actually witnessed numerous close-calls with joggers almost getting hit. One time a City Vehicle was parked on the shoulder (legitimately) to check the water meters. I was approaching in the right lane, and signaled to get over to go around the truck. A jogger was approaching in the bike lane wanted to go around the truck as well, so she ran into the street rather than on the grass or sidewalk. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting her and skidded to a stop after ABS kicked in. I rolled down my window, and yelled at her to get on the F'ing sidewalk, she just smiled and waved at me like "Fuck you too!"

I don't think I am irrational in my thinking. Here is a map of the road in question (Willamette Dr. NE, which turns into 41st)

• As stated, the road is 40mph and has some minor turns/curves. It is safe to assume (as I have witnessed) people driving an average speed of 45-50mph.
    • The retirement community is also off the main drag here, so you regularly see senior-citizens that should have their licenses revoked wandering all over the road and have very poor vision/reaction time (not a stereotype, it's the truth).
    • With the amount of commercial buildings in the area, we also see a large amount of semis, trailers, and other large rigs coming through pulling a lot of weight.
    • Since living here (4 years), I have seen a total of 8 saplings (10"-12" diameter) trees get taken out by shitty drivers, plus some other collisions. This is along a 2 mile stretch of road; statistically, it seems there are quite a few bad drivers in the immediate area.
    I am obviously sick of this. I really just want to enforce a policy before someone gets hurt or killed. Sure I could be like "Haha, told you so!" but I'm not that sadistic.

What should I do? Contact the local law enforcement? Contact the City? Make my own signs/stencils that say "Bikes Only! No Joggers"? Vigilante justice (don't know what that would be, but it sounds intimidating)?

Sorry for the long tirade, but I had to get some other opinions on this. Maybe I am just over-reacting, but I feel justified.

1.2.3...Discuss!

2. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    The area I grew up in was full of those spandex wearing idiots who love to bike in massive groups on roads with no passing so they would cause huge traffic jams making everyone move at 10-15 in a 40. Those idiots pissed me off, but I somewhat understood.

When their is a sidewalk and you are choosing to ignore it, you have surpassed the greatest of idiot levels into full blown imbecile. Candidates for the Darwin award. The road is for vehicles, not pedestrian traffic.

3. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    V-Tech gunmetalrims, BFG All-Terrains, Front 5100s and OME 884 coils, Rear 5160s, Rear AAL, SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers, Hummer Bed Rack, Thule Kayak Roof Racks........
    AMEN BROTHA lol im debating keeping like some water ballons or a paint ball gun to show em whos boss lol

4. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 GO VOLS!

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    not many places around here have bike lanes. but one thing i hate is people walking with traffic. also hate people that ride bikes against traffic, or just in the middle of the lane on a blind curve on a 2 lane back road. idk why some bikers can't stay some what to the side.

5. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Debadged, Black Toyota Emblem, TRD Emblem, Tint, Leer 100XL w/ Thule Tracker II rails, aFe Stage II Si Pro Dry-S CAI, aFe Mach Power 3" cat-back exhaust, Doug Thorley Y-Pipe, Bedmat, Weathertech liners, Weathertech window vents, Redline Hood Struts, 12v Anytime Mod, Maglight Mod, FOB/Seatbelt Mod, Rear Diff. Breather Mod, OEM Heated Mirrors Mod, OME 886 Coils w/ 90k Nitro Shocks up front, OME N182 Shocks with Dakars and a D29XL AAL in back, Light Racing UCAs, 1/2" Toytec Front Spacers, swaybar delete Mod, (4) 1" BORA Wheel Spacers, 285/70R17 Goodyear MT/R (originals), hidden Cobra 19DX IV w/ 4' Firestik on a Relentless Mount, custom Sliders, ARB Bumper, Warn VR-8000s w/ Syn. line, custom Tool/Hi-Lift mounts, custom Engine Bay and Winch-area LEDs, csJumper interior LEDs, custom TRD Skull Decal, 10" SeeLite LED light-bar custom mounted in the grille, custom Front & Mid skidplate, Garmin 60CSX GPS w/ RAM mounts....RAN OUT OF
    Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way...these people really piss me off :mad:. And it seems like they are multiplying... some of these joggers are REALLY old and feeble too. Call me morbid, but I can guarantee someone is going to get killed if they don't enforce some kind of policy.

Haha! That's a great idea. I think I will stop by the dollar store and stock up on squirt guns today. Then again, I would probably be the one getting charged a slapped with a civil suit.

6. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    Mapcinq

Mapcinq Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Ontario, Canada
    But their feets might get sore from the hard concrete! Asphalt is so much softer!

7. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Sounds like you feel the same way about joggers in the bike lane as I do about bikers in the driving lanes... :rolleyes:

8. Nov 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    That's a whole different beast altogether. One step at a time...

I think this sums up how I feel about bikers:
    http://youtu.be/V3nMnr8ZirI
    (Olympia is basically the inbred sister to Portland)

9. Nov 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    This.

I don't have a problem with joggers in the bike lane... I'm not in those lanes so they don't create a problem for me.

But I have a BIG problem with bikers and skateboarders going "the wrong way". This is a serious danger for vehicles making both left and right turns.
    Making a left turn, you are looking at oncoming traffic, and for pedestrians in the crosswalk. You aren't expecting someone to be rolling 10-15mph against traffic.

Likewise making a right turn. You look right to check the sidewalk and don't see anything near, look left, and when traffic is clear, make the right turn.
    I've been hit 3 times (in 30 years) by skateboarders "coming out of nowhere" when I've been making a right turn. Every one of them has hit me near the rear tire.

Here in southern California, it is very common to see people riding the wrong way, on the sidewalk.

10. Nov 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD-OR DCSB
    Just enough! Other vehicles: 2015 Mustang GTPP 2014 Prius 2010 4runner SR5 4x4 2009 TRD-OR AC
    Hmmm... What if drivers in your area hates bikers in bike lanes (street)?

11. Nov 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I'm hoping someone with a badge will chime in with their opinions, suggestions, or advice on how I should approach this. Or maybe just tell me to stfu and quit being a pussy :p

12. Nov 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy The dog did it...I swear!

Member:
    High Desert
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop supersport canopy, black westin bullbar/tube steps, piaa offroad lights, weathertech floor mats, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    I here Ya!! They should get rid of the bike lanes altogether.

13. Nov 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ
    As a cyclist and a runner I would never run on Willamette. I don't even like to ride on Willamette. There are so many cars that exceed the speed limit that it won't be long before there is a fatality. I work at the roof truss plant at the corner of Hogum Bay and Willamette and there is an accident at least once a week. I have ran on that sidewalk you speak of and it is nice and wide.

14. Nov 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Exactly, that's why I feel so strongly about it. I wanted to get other opinions on TW (mainly cuz my girl is tired of hearing me bitch about it like on old man). Maybe I will just continue to yell obscenities at them from my window.

On a side note: you, me, and Mike (chickenmunga) need to go get a beer sometime. :thumbsup:

15. Nov 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    you guys think recreational runners are bad...

try driving around kona around the Ironman season :mad:

bikers taking up the entire lane, riding side by side
    joggers running in the bike lane

16. Nov 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    [​IMG]
    What if the joggers looked like her ^

17. Nov 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    '07 FJ
    name the place and time and i will bee there.

18. Nov 21, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Then there would definitely be more accidents.......and possibly some unexpected erections

I'll talk to Mike and we'll get something planned after the holidays.

19. Nov 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    V-Tech gunmetalrims, BFG All-Terrains, Front 5100s and OME 884 coils, Rear 5160s, Rear AAL, SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers, Hummer Bed Rack, Thule Kayak Roof Racks........
    Then there would be so many more wrecks lol

20. Nov 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    DAMN i respond too slow lol

To Top