1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions on Lightbars: Thinking of offering cheap high quality alternatives

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Iggy, Dec 8, 2014.

?

Which size do you prefer?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2015.
  1. 7.5"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 21.5"

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. 31.5"

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. 41.5"

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  5. 50"

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  6. Other - Post in thread

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Dec 29, 2014 at 1:43 PM
    Smashing

Smashing Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochesterish NY
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport
    Any word on the lumen output?

2. Dec 29, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    Iggy

Iggy [OP] Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    Working on them along with the specs.

3. Dec 29, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Please keep us posted with the specs on both the CREE and OSRAM options and the differences between the two. If you can get a 50" curved with the 4D Lenses, I will be in for getting one. Please let me know if you need anymore help with getting this going, I don't mind lending a helping hand. Take care man and can't wait to see these specs and prices!

4. Dec 29, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
  5. Dec 29, 2014 at 9:53 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Also, was just searching eBay and Amazon for the 50" curved bars with the "projector/4D" with the OSRAM LEDs and found some for about $300. Not sure who your company is or how they would compare but they had theirs weighing in at 48,000 lumens for that with a combo pattern. I searched for the same size and lense with the CREEs and it looks like their about $250-$300 and the lumens are around 24,000-30,0000.

Just figured I'd share that info to compare with your lights you have coming.. Can't wait man!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM
    Iggy

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build

Thanks for the comparison! I honestly do not know which lights you were looking at or how well they are. Are those prices with shipping?

One thing I am being careful with is getting real lumens vs inflated or theoretical figures. So I am waiting to get real figures. My supplier just told me in theory to calculate 90LM/W and these are 120W which should be 10,800 lumen.

I took a quick video and I just need to upload it, but my butt dyno says more like 9000 lumen. I'm waiting to get some real figures. They are bright for a 20 for sure.

I also asked for a combo curved. I can get the hyper spot in curved but not combo. My supplier can make them but I was told that they would infringe on a Rigid patent by doing so and they would not manufacture to those specs. In my mind this is a good sign since they aren't out to make a quick buck, and actually research what they are making. They also have an R&D team that tests their lights.

I'm not totally worried about being he cheapest lights. I just want to offer the best lights at the lowest prices.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Dec 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD

So those prices did not include shipping. Not sure on the quality to be honest but I was just doing a quick search and figured I'd share what I found.

I am happy to hear your looking for a better than normal quality light so I'm excited to hear and see what your going to be providing.

I'm interested to see the light spread with this hyper spot. If it has good lighting I may just go for the spot curved on a 50" once your ready.

Also, if you could explain to me the differences and advantages/disadvantages of the OSRAM and Cree LEDs that would be awesome.

Thanks for everything again buddy

8. Dec 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM
    Iggy

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    Bradley,

I'm researching the differences on the LED's now. I don't know a huge difference, but you hear the name CREE thrown around everywhere with high quality lights, so I stuck with them.

I'm now coming to find out that depending on which Osram chip you get they can be brighter and more expensive than CREE.

Ok, so I am figuring out my youtube channel, and I'll upload a video. But now I know why these are called hyper spot. There is very little spill and all the light is focused towards the middle for a very long throw. If you just need to see ahead and not have the light around your rig these are perfect.

Once I get the video up it will all make sense.

Thanks for looking helping me out! I appreciate all the input.

9. Dec 30, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    Iggy

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    Sorry for the horrible video, I had a problem getting my iPhone to focus, but this should give you an idea on how bright they are.

http://youtu.be/88FjApxat_0

10. Dec 30, 2014 at 6:53 PM
    Iggy

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    After looking at all my pricing, I see where I made the mistake. I choose CREE over Epistar and confused Epistar with Osram.

Epistar is the cheap option I was talking about, but I can get the the standard double row in straight or curved in either Osram or CREE. It seems like Osram provides more light per watt than CREE but are also more expensive.

More to come. What does everyone think of the video? I know it's crappy and the results are not impressive because of it. I'll try to get better video.

11. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:03 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Yeah it's a little hard to make a conclusion based on the video. Really the most difinitive answer will come if you do a side by side comparison this versus a standard Cree.

12. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    Iggy

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    True, but the video just shows my headlights vs the Hyperspot.

I'm looking into ordering the Osram straight 50's to test out.

13. Dec 31, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD

I'd say get a curved 50" for testing :thumbsup:

14. Jan 2, 2015 at 5:02 PM
    Catcrazed

Catcrazed Love is Dogs and Toyotas

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Flatbed 3.4
    91 Flatbed, 4.88's, ARBs, SAS, 3.4 Swap, 35s, M8000, lots lights, Aux tank, Protech
    SO I've been doing little research & I believe what you have is Osram.
    I googled 4d Hyperspot Cree & the only thing that comes up is Osram chips.
    That's not a bad thing Osram is German & sounds like they been in business for 100 year. Osram appears to have more Lumens. & tend to have more of a spot pattern. Even the "flood" chip has a narrower pattern then cree.
    I'm really thinking about trying out a 52" Curved Osram.

15. Jan 2, 2015 at 5:23 PM
    Iggy

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build

My research has come up with the same findings. I recently ran a GB for 9" Round LED lights and I'm looking to get a custom batch made with Osrams.

These bars I have for sure are CREE but I can get them made with either chips. I choose CREE for now since they were cheaper and I knew more about them.

I'm finalizing a few designs to test out and hopefully get them ordered. If there are 4 people interested in 50" curved Osrams I can get an order together with great intro pricing.

16. Jan 2, 2015 at 9:26 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD

I'd be interested in the curved 50". Still waiting for specs though

17. Jan 2, 2015 at 9:34 PM
    Iggy

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    What specs are you looking for? Here's what I have.

. LED Power: 480W 69120LM
    . Operating Voltage: 10-30V DC
    . Waterproof rating: IP 67
    . 96pcs*5w high intensity Osram LEDs
    . Color: Black
    . Color Temperature: 6000K
    . Material: Diecast aluminum housing
    . Lens material: Polycarbonate
    . Mounting Bracket: Aluminum
    . Beam: 8degree Spot/90degree flood/Combo
    . 30000 hours + lifetime
    . Dimensions: 50 inch

Curved, straight, and hyper spot have all the same specs, but the hyperspot lenses help focus the beam and reduce spill.

18. Jan 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD

That's exactly what I was looking for. If you could get me a pdf drawing of it with dimensions, that would be awesome. Also what's the mounting and hardware situation with these?

If you could get a price for a curved 50" combo pattern and how long until it could be shipped that would be great. Looking to get a bar here pretty soon bud.

Thanks

19. Jan 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM
    Iggy

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    I don't have the PDF drawing on these but I'll see if my manufacturer can provide them. The mounting is pretty standard L shaped legs that bolt onto the side. They are aluminum and attach via one allan bolt on each side.

If I can get 4 people I can give you an intro price. I'll PM you, but retail pricing will be $490 shipped with Osrams and wire harness. I can mix and match the patterns but I cannot do Hyperspot as part of a combo pattern. Only standard lenses and diffused lenses can be used as combo.

The lights will come with DT connectors that plug into most light harnesses.

20. Jan 4, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD

Products Discussed in

To Top