1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

opinions on the 6 spd Manual?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TOYOTA 09, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Mar 1, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    TOYOTA 09

TOYOTA 09 [OP] Kicking Ass Since 1981

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2009 SR5 MT 4x4 Access Cab
    Preview 2009 SR5 4x4 MT Black Sand Pearl (Access Cab) SUSPENSION ToyTec 5100 Billstein Coil Overs (3" Lift) Fox 2.0 Remote Res Rear Shocks Total Chaos UCAs Full Dakar Leaf Pack w/Extra AAL TIRES & WHEELS BFG AT KOs 265/75/16 load range E American Rancing AR-23 Wheels Borla CAT back exhaust AFE cold air intake w/custom TRD clear cover Satoshi grill w/Grill Craft insert Hella 500 behind grill lights Rigid Industries Backup lights Interior Custom LEDs and Bed Lights Backup Cam Anytime MOD Leather armrest and rear seat MOD Weathertech floor liners Custom rear gear/dog platform Cobra CB and Garmin GPS Bed Mat UWS low pro tool box with Custom LED lights Diff breather MOD Custom painted engine cover Wet Okole seat covers
    are any of you guys getting a a shaky loose feeling when driving on bumpy roads with the clutch in or while in Neutral? I've seen 1 or two other people with this issue on here. What is causeing this? It sounds like my undercarriage is going to fall apart! It's been to the dealer 2x's and they said it's "normal"

2. Mar 1, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I'm at 46,000 miles and have had no real problems with mine. I do wish it had "taller" gears sometimes, and I wish 6th gear was higher for highway speeds. My fuel efficiency takes a major dive when I get above 60mph.

I don't care for the feel of the clutch much, but I actually can't tell if it's just because of the clutch or if it has to do with how the computer is always messing with the throttle and gives poor response.

3. Mar 1, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    WTtoolman

WTtoolman Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab 4x4 TRD SWB
    5100s at 0, eibachs, 2" toytec AAL,, Moto Metal 951b, BFG A/T
    I love the manual transmission! It took me a couple of week to be able to shift super smooth but no big deal. My only complaint is: 6th gear definitely needs to drop the rpms more than 300!! It took me forever to find the exact truck I wanted with the 6-speed manual. The automatics are a dime a dozen. Did anybody else have as hard a time as I did trying to find a 6-speed manual?

4. Mar 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    I saw a fair amount of manual transmissions in 2007 when I was looking. I was incredibly lucky. I actually was waiting for a call from Carmax to go check out a Tacoma. While I was waiting, I stopped in another Toyota dealership to look around. While there, I found the exact truck I wanted on the lot...the correct engine, transmission, trim level, tow package, color, everything...

5. Mar 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I agree with you. They need to drop the 6th gear RPM's down a little. My throwout bearing squeaks a little sometimes. I'm @ 58k miles now. I also wish they used a metal clutch pedal arm instead of plastic.

Yeah I had a hard time. Around here if you put manual transmission in autotrader you get like 4..if you put in auto you get eleventy-billion.

6. Mar 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    Keep it in gear over bumps,between the split driveshaft and kickback of the diff that is where your racket is coming from.lot of joints and gearing down there....or just slow down.Parking lots aren't race tracks therebsp

7. Mar 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    WTtoolman

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    Ha Ha! You know what I'm talking about!!

8. Mar 1, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    Tino4980

Tino4980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bermuda Dunes, California
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4, 6 Speed , Magnetic Gray
    My friend is trying to find a truck just like mine but he cant find one, he tried two dealerships and they told him that they are realy rare to find now and days, they did find one but like 7 hours away and they want to charge him $600 dollars for them to bring it here :cool:

9. Mar 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    WTtoolman

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    I had to drive about 900 miles roundtrip to get mine! Well worth it!!!

10. Mar 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    KaBaL is correct of course - it's all a personal opinion. I would have no problem putting a quick-shifter mod in, as trade-off or not, I'd rather have the shorter throw and I wouldn't worry about wear to the tranny. I don't drive it like a sports car either. Since I don't have one installed, I can't talk to the amount of increased effort - like he said, it's probably not apparent... I wouldn't worry about it. :)

11. Mar 2, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    nomad20012

nomad20012 Active Member

Member:
    Canada Bitches
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5
    2500 km's on my 2010 sr5 and my transmission blew while cruising in 6th.
    I was noticing vibration while accelerating in 3rd gear since I got the truck but was only doing city driving. It wasn't until I reached hiway speeds for the first time before the tranny had enough and let go.
    Shop replaced it and now no probs.
    I wish the gears were taller as well, especially first and second. I find most power gains in 3rd and even there could use a bit more gear. Shouldn't neglect to mention I'm running 285's tho. I still fumble every now and then but it's more getting used to the clutch if anything. All my previous vehicles manuals were worn out jeeps, so it's much different driving a new truck.
    All in all, like it.

Products Discussed in

To Top