1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions on Toppers/Shells/Caps,

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by mcgiiver, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jul 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    mcgiiver

mcgiiver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Princeton, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 Access cab 4x4, 4 cyl, stick
    Aftermarket Driving Lights, Hidden Hitch, Removed rear headrests, Side protective moldings, vacuum gauge, Scan Gauge, Leer cap.
    2009 Access cab standard bed. Looking to get a cab height cap. Any thoughts on fiberglass caps, one brand over another?

Had a Leer aluminum cap, rear window hinge failed, a pain to replace, so not thrilled with Leer.

Looking at Jeraco right now or A.R.E.

I am looking for reasons to buy one, not simply I love my cap. Do I need special options on the cap for future installation of roof racks?

2. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    "OldManTan"

"OldManTan" Bye bloody Taco... Hello MGM Burrito!

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Holy chit, I've done a lot already!!
    I never thought I would say this, but....I love my cap!! LOL Anyway, I have a Century Cap. I would call it "fully loaded". Has fold down front windows for ease of cleaning, sliding rear side windows with screens, LED 3rd brake light, in cap work light and also seems reinforced where a rack would go. I bought the truck used so don't know what model/options it really has. The only thing I would ask for, if possible, would be to have lift up front windows for ease of access to cargo in front of bed. Oh and maybe a single handle in the middle so I only have one lock to worry about keeping free and working.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:36 PM
    JonF

JonF Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    i have a 1 year old jeraco high rise fully loaded on my 08 access cab and its top notch. I enjoy being able to haul cargo and keep it dry and safe (locking cap and gate). I am currently trying to sell it because i plan on hauling motorcycles in the bed and the high rise just isnt tall enough for bikes.

[​IMG]

4. Jul 15, 2009 at 8:48 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    polish your damn rims, they look terrible...come on man, give the truck some respect

5. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:05 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Sorry, I tryed washing them, but I guess I am not so good at that. By the way I offer free detailing!

6. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    b careful what u say....lol...whats included in that detailing?

7. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I always thought Shells were kinda old manish lol...No offese to anyone who has em. I think it looks okay and a good thing to have when camping, hunting etc...

8. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM
    Tio Pepe

Tio Pepe Well-Known Member

Member:
    eastexas
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4-Dbl Cab, Long Bed, SR5, SUPERCHARGED
    TRD installed Supercharger, Air Intake, & Exhaust. 3" lift with OME 885's & OME AAL. JBA shorty headers
  9. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    "OldManTan"

Member:
    Buffalo, NY
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DC
    Dday... before I detail it, I get to take it in my woods for some mudding fun, not responsible for damage, and you have to provide the beer for the detailing. Remember nothing in life is free!! LOL

I absolutely agree!!! But I love having it. Having a fiberglass contoured cap looks A LOT better IMO.

10. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    no doubt bro...beer it is what you drinkin...we will figure it out soon. haha good times..i wont just watch...well not the whole time..we will do both

11. Jul 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Buy an SUV...

12. Jul 15, 2009 at 10:05 PM
    DdayIsNear

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders

booooo -1 for you lol

13. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    rdwarrior

rdwarrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dirty, NJ
    pop and lock 5300, awaiting revenge fab sliders, leer topper, custom camping platform for bed
    sorry you had a bad experience with Leer. From my experience-mainly from spending time with those who had Leers-they are great. I plan on getting a Leer. I had some negative experiences in the past with ARE. But I am sure there are pro's and cons of each. What do you plan on doing with topper? Camping or just general storage/security? I plan on using mine for camping and have been spending the past few weekends fabricating a platform to sleep on in the back that is removable and light. I know that many toppers require special options for roof racks. If you plan on carrying alot of weight on top, you will need to go with some kind of commercial grade topper that has stronger structure.

14. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    cotruckin

cotruckin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westminster, CO.
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 06 TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100 Lift with rear 1" blocks, ARE Z series topper with Yakima rack and Rola basket, some audio equipment, some more goodies
    I love my cap, I have the ARE Z series. It has the fold down front window, pop out side windows, dome light. I also ordered it with the tracks for a rack which I now have a cargo basket on top. I am about 210 lbs and have stood in the basket to take some off roading pictures, so it is vers strong. I had a Leer on my Tundra and didnt like it as much as the ARE. It had the sliding rear windows which I didnt care for, and the front window didnt fold down, and the locking/ open button seemed to freeze when it got really cold.
    I have a sleeping platform in the back that sits on top of the wheel wells and it makes a parfect place to sleep when it is raining when I am out camping.
    S4010057_f10b914ef73d2d3db44c127a6969e89d0b60ee85.jpg

15. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    GeoTaco

GeoTaco the town is back that way

Member:
    First Name:
    Freeda Feltcher
    Denverish
    Vehicle:
    '21 Army Green TRD OR DCSB
    Car seats
    I just ordered a Bestop for my truck, should be in any day now. I got ti because of the versitility, you can have it up like a camper or down like a truck.

16. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    Cap on a pickup is nothing like a SUV I thought so in my younger days too though. I have a Jason less expensive good quality my second and I love it.

17. Jul 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM
    indycross

indycross Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Vehicle:
    1981 FJ40 Land Cruiser, 2018 4Runner Limited; 2011 Tundra Crewcab 4WD
    I wanted a Snugtop shell for my L/B because they are f'in sweet... It was a hard sell for my finace.

We compromised and i bought a Best Top Super Top which looks bad ass and still givea my truck the extra space for any gear i though back there.

18. Jul 16, 2009 at 4:03 PM
    TroutBum

TroutBum Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 AC 4x4 Sold, 17 Sport 6MT DCSB, 2020 OR DCSB
    Leer 100R
    I had no issues with the LEER toppers on my last two trucks (10 years combined ownership). I have a few issues my current 100R - the front slider is a four panel which does not match up to the slider in the truck.

Other owners here on TW have posted pictures of their sliders with the three panel design that matches the truck. My dealer has ordered a new slider multiple times, but it always comes in as a four panel... Doesn't really bother me much, but the girl is really annoyed (I'm just sick of listening to her complain about it when dhe drives the truck, maybe I shouldn't let her have the keys anymore! Problem solved.) :)

I have a warranty issue I'm waiting to hear back from LEER on (chunks broke out of the fiberglass by the rear window). I'll report back on how they handle this.

Mike

19. Jul 16, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    I looked into buying a topper back in 2006 and really liked the ARE's. Too bad they are so expensive and no where near where I live in VA.

20. Jul 16, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    geolink

geolink Well-Known Member

Member:
    SILVER STATE
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB MagGray TRD SPORT
    Weathertech mats and hood protector, RuffTuff seat covers, padded console, Redline Hood Struts, Snugtop canopy w/Thule Rack, TSB rear springs plus AAL, 5100's all around OME 885 front coils, LR UCA, Avid Step Bars, LT265/70R17 BFG AT on stock Sport Rims
    09 DC Long bed. Snugtop Cab Hi 'bout a month old - also had the Thule mounts installed by dealer (not hard to do - but easier to get it done by them before mounting on truck). Regarding Roof Racks - the Snug Top had a thick roof - high load rating. I think any of them you may be able to special order for higher load ratings.

The dealer recommended the piano hinge vs the sleeker (hidden) glass mounted 2 hinge on higher end Snugtops and others - he caled those the "SUV" tops. He said the piano hinge will last longer under my conditions. They also pointed out that (over the long run) framed (aluminum or other) windows provide better seal than just the fiberglass molded window frames.

I use Truck for work. Much of it offroad. Topper allows to securely stow my equipment, and fairly theft-proof. As good as any could be I suppose.

The Snugtops were most spendy on his lot - sold Leer and Century also. These are the brands he ended up marketing after 35 yrs in the business.

Like it so far, did some extra weatherstripping at installation time to "dustproof" and has worked extemely well so far (I hate the bug dust on my gear - enough of that on the outside of the rig!).

This is snugtops "old style" top with the sliding windows. I really was leaning toward the Super Sport or Xtra Vision models - those "SUV" styles. One other thing I noticed is the extended sides that run over the bed rails. Other toppers tend to sit on top of rails.
    Reason I got this one? It was on the lot and dealer gave me $100 off.
    I guess he invested too much time in me to have a sale slip by...HaHa

[​IMG]

Good Luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top