1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Opinions: Which Tacoma should I get?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by CBOCode, Jun 12, 2019 at 7:48 AM.

1. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    CBOCode

CBOCode [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Alright guys I know there have been about 100 threads with this question (I've read them all) and have been researching tirelessly the past week or so, but I'm looking for opinions related to my specific situation with the quotes I've received. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm eligible to get a $500 new grad rebate and the 0%/0.9%/1.9% 36/48/60 financing deal on a new Tacoma.

Each truck I'm looking at is DCSB V6 4x4.

If I get an SR or SR5 I'll get new wheels/ tires within a few months. If I get the TRDOR I'll probably keep it mostly stock for a while.

With the SR, I'd probably upgrade it to be similar to SR5 (leather wheel, intermittent wipers, etc.) and it already has the keyless entry convenience package. Also, with the TRDOR being a manual, it seems that there isn't much difference between it and the SR5 as far as tech since there's no push start, crawl control, etc.

I should also note that I have never owned a M/T vehicle myself but have driven a couple semi-successfully lol

So, thoughts? Comments?

Tacomas.jpg

Also, TTL is a somewhat rough estimate and could vary slightly. And financing is based on 1.9%/60mo.

EDIT: also wondering if you guys think these are good deals. Based on the % off MSRP alone I think they are but maybe y'all have seen better.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    Taco_Coma likes this.
  2. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:50 AM
    hoch

hoch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Desert
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB OR 6MT
    For me, getting a manual is #1 on the list. So TRD trim would be my pick. But if getting an auto, I would personally just get a bare bones SR and save the money for other things.

3. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:52 AM
    CBOCode

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    The M/T is enticing but I just hate that you lose most of what the TRDOR A/T has over the SR5.

Mrtacoman88 and MattCowsmasher like this.
  4. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    Get you a used second gen....

5. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher Sounds like a horrible idea, what time? TTC #0010

Member:
    Temple, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, scuba ready, pizza cuttin tires, debadged with a hood skewp.
    I’d get the stick shifted OR simply for the locker.

6. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    SgtPuddin

SgtPuddin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCLB
    KO2 Ray10 5100’s 884’s Rx350 Retro Headlights
    Get the most that you can afford because it’s always cheaper in the end. Everyone says they don’t need the creature comforts but then regret not getting them later. Adding crawl control or rear locker will never happen if you don’t buy it from the factory. Some of these things can be added but it’s definitely a headache.
    Just my opinion. Can’t tell you how many people on this forum buy an sr, sr5, or even a sport and then trade in for an off road at a loss.

Buy once cry once.

7. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    Boghog1

Boghog1 Jack of all trades, master of none.

Member:
    Southern, NH
    Vehicle:
    2019 AC V6 4x4 SR
    Just a note, leather steering wheels are not inexpensive, even from a JY, see my build thread as I tried my own leather wrap and ended up with a JY wheel

CBOCode [OP] likes this.
  8. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    ryan760

ryan760 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR, 4x4, AT, Silver
    It's a big purchase for having driven it "semi-successfully". Personally, I didn't care for the clutch feel on the new Tacos when I drove one. If you are using it as a daily driver in any sort of traffic, you may get tired of the manual. Make sure its something you can really live with day in and day out.

Other than that, if it were my money, Id go with the TRD OR. I think they look better, and having MTS, Crawl Control, locker, and decent off road tires is pretty nice.

9. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    TexAggie

TexAggie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    OME Lift
    I'd wait and get a 2020 TRD Offroad MT, to get the LED headlights and 360 camera

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  10. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:55 AM
    BillyToy

BillyToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro 6MT
    OEM crossbars Predator steps (Yeah, I "dadded" it. What?!...punk)
    Totally, completely biased opinion: grab the MT and don't look back. It's AWESOME !

ALSO THIS IS THE (sorry) sneakiest way I've ever seen to start a classic AT vs MT
    thread. Nice work.

Next time throw a TRD Pro (your best value, BTW) in there and watch the shit fly.

11. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    CBOCode

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    I should probably also add that I live in FL so I don't anticipate necessarily NEEDING a locker. Though I definitely see the benefit of having one lol

12. Jun 12, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    CBOCode

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    I wish I could wait but I'm selling my current car to my brother at the end of this month and can't really go the next few months/ rest of the year without a vehicle.

13. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    ryan760

ryan760 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR, 4x4, AT, Silver
    Youd be surprised how much you will be able to do with just the brake limited slip system (ATRAC or MTS). It works really well.

02Duck, hoch and CBOCode [OP] like this.
  14. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    john221us

john221us Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rocklin, CA (Sacramento)
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma Limited
    Buy the most you can afford, but also know that this won’t be your last truck/vehicle. Don’t over commit on the payment. Save for retirement and buying a house (if you haven’t already). The M/T or automatic is a personal thing and learning how to drive one is not a big deal (I just taught my son in one hour - he bought a Porsche). Personal, I like M/T for sports cars and AT for the truck (I have both).

15. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    kakwvu

kakwvu Almost Heaven

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    2016 OR 4X4 6MT BBP
    MTS (crawl control) is called ATRAC in a 6MT Tacoma. It’s a similar system with a manual transmission.

Tech in all of these trucks is dated, short of the push button start. That definitely shouldn’t be a deal breaker if you want a manual.

I looked at the locker as a ‘better to have and not need than need and not have.’ Don’t regret spending more for the OR.

In all seriousness, wait the 2020 release out if you can. They’re coming with new LED headlights, CarPlay stereos, and some other additions. If you can get a good deal on one now, obviously that doesn’t matter as much because you can buy similar (better) headlights such as the upcoming Morimoto XB or a set of RX350 retros, and get an aftermarket stereo.

CBOCode [OP] likes this.
  16. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton Mass
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD 5-speed
    Too much to list
    I like the standard transmission better myself so this is quite simple for me.

17. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:08 AM
    hoch

hoch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Desert
    Vehicle:
    18 DCSB OR 6MT
    Having traveled through a lot of trails out in the west, I needed the locker only a handful of times. I wouldn't even sweat it if my truck didn't come with one. Just get some maxtrax or a winch.

CBOCode [OP] likes this.
  18. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:25 AM
    chaotic_taco

chaotic_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR MT
    No, not at all. What you lose in a manual vs auto TRD OR is the "automated" or "cruise control" options. The manual still has the ATRAC system, which is a wheel speed brake "locker", and the rear e locker. MTS on the automatic allows you to set different levels of wheel spin, and Crawl Control uses the brake system to maintain a certain speed in 4 lo. Well, guess what? You've got a clutch, you can do all that with out a computer.

Get the TRD OR MT, it's a great truck. I assume you're looking at trucks on the lot, otherwise I'd say get the premium and tech packages too. Heated seats, sunroof, color matched rear bumper, etc etc.

02Duck, Juice33, shakerhood and 2 others like this.
  19. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:30 AM
    Coyote501

Coyote501 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Only advice I can give you: Get the truck YOU want. I saved up and got the exact truck I wanted. Paid a lot for it, but I love it.

CBOCode [OP] likes this.
  20. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    BBPSR54X4

BBPSR54X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    If you are a person who tends to experience buyers remorse, i.e. grass is greener, get the highest trim level you can afford.
    The auto vs manual is a preference. I've owned both. For an urban based daily commuter IMO get an auto. Constant up/down shifting after a long day is a pain. That said, manuals can be fun to drive. Just not in stop and go traffic.
    Regardless of your choice, a DCSB V6 4x4 Tacoma, what's not to love?

rev25sharp and ehvenegas like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top